Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Zoonic
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2009, 6:27 pm

Yesterday, I ate quite a lot of hazelnuts. I usually eat a lot of almonds but there weren't any so I had some hazelnuts instead. Today I have itching rashes all over my body. I'm 80% sure it must be a reaction to the hazelnuts because I didn't change anything else in my diet or lifestyle. Anyone with hazelnut allergy who can help confirm this?

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2009, 10:53 pm

I don't have an allergy to hazelnuts, but am severely allergic to shellfish. Food allergies tend to manifest in the same way, but to varying degrees. Yes, seems like a hazelnut allergy! If I should ingest or even touch (even the scent) of shellfish I can have an anaphaltic (sp?) shock reaction, which is life-threatening and trip to ER asap. Therefore, shellfish is avoided at all costs, of course. Shellfish = death.

But nut allergies are quite common. You sure can get a rash/hives w/ food allergies - avoid those hazelnuts. But worse, this could affect your respiratory system and this is dangerous. Since hazelnuts were the only variable, then safe to reason that's the cause, especially if the effect was acute as you described.

No more hazelnuts! Benadryl will definitely help if you should accidentally ingest (like in baked goods where hazelnuts are snuck into the recipe). I'm very careful about shellfish but can usually smell shellfish - check if in doubt though. Sushi is out of my league :nemo:

Have benadryl? This will help. Feel better soon, Zoonic.