How much of a misfit are you in WrongPlanet?

Page 1 of 5 [ 61 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

How much do you fit in here?
Zero. I'm as much of a misfit here as everywhere else 18%  18%  [ 17 ]
I feel I totally belong and completely in synch with the others here 8%  8%  [ 7 ]
On average, 50-50 25%  25%  [ 23 ]
More of a misfit than not 25%  25%  [ 23 ]
More belonging than not 25%  25%  [ 23 ]
Total votes : 93

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2009, 1:05 pm

Do you feel that you totally fit in here with all the others or do you feel like a minority of one on WP too? Or something within the range?

MattShizzle
Banned
Banned

12 May 2009, 1:12 pm

More belonging. I tend to feel more belonging most places online than I do in the real world, but even more so here.

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2009, 1:13 pm

Me too, Matt. Same thing.

MattShizzle
Banned
Banned

12 May 2009, 1:16 pm

I've read places we fit in better online because the internet filters out nearly all non-verbal communication.

millie
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2009, 1:19 pm

I cannot give any consistent answer to this question or the poll.
It varies incredibly for me.
I always feel very buoyed when I relate to some idea or approach to life that someone else maybe expressing.

At other times, i have felt so far out on my own - that you all seem like run of the mill people that are of no value or importance to me.
I relate to a few people here - for all sorts of reasons - most of which have more to do with the fact their expressions somehow match various views I already hold. (true. :wink: )

Sometimes I learn something.

A while back there were some threads about WP gatherings. I viewed them with a degree of interest and "oh that would be great" attitude. Then someone started developing or mentioning the idea of a gathering in Australia -where i live - and I WAS REPULSED!. I realised getting together with people of any kind - WP'ers or a cross-section of the general population IS THE LAST THING I EVER WANT TO DO IN MY LIFE.

I like my own ways and my own company best. I relate to you people through text and the screen. I"ll leave that as the defining, consistent element in my relating with others here.

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2009, 1:20 pm

Matt, that'd mean I'd do as well in chat, and I don't, though...

I've been called many things, but run of the mill it's the first time. I feel wonderful about it - I'd much rather feel common than special, given the misfit status special means to me.

sbcmetroguy
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2009, 1:24 pm

I feel I belong here because everyone else is quirky and different as well. But we are all quirky and different to different extremes from one another.

Overalll, I fell good here but I went ahead and voted 50/50.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2009, 1:36 pm

I think I voted 50-50...I kill lots of threads..I have a sorta weird alternative lifestyle that might be difficult for others on the board to understand...I didn't go very far in school, I am semi-self-employed and help run a venue....

I am assessed as an aspie, which means that I presented myself to someone who specializes in the field and it seemed apparent to her that I was one...but I still have doubts..

I feel less intelligent than a lot of the aspies I have met...here and IRL...etc...

Acacia
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2009, 1:56 pm

While I feel like an outsider nearly everywhere I go,
I certainly do feel at least a little more included on WP.

There are two aspects to this.

One is that some people here occasionally seem to value what I have to say.

The other has to do with the motivation I feel to interact here on WP versus out in the real world. I feel safe and free to express myself here. In the real world I retreat inside myself and feel anxious and uncomfortable most of the time. On WP, I actually WANT to be social... sort of. :roll:

Fudo
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2009, 3:01 pm

i definitely feel free to express myself here.. & it's a good site but i voted more misfit than not.. i feel i fit in quite a bit & more than many situations but i still feel a bit out of place here.. but then NT's, aspie's, everyone's different so it's not bad.

outlier
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2009, 3:04 pm

This is the first place I've felt any sort of belonging. I even share my drawings and stuff here and have made acquaintances--something that's never happened before.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2009, 3:08 pm

I guess I fit in here better than I did on the ADD message boards I used to post on.

Modality
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 May 2009, 3:36 pm

I feel here as much an alien as anywhere else.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2009, 3:39 pm

I feel ignored sometimes even here. Don't know if it's real or just a perception.

Sorenna
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2009, 3:40 pm

I think I fit in.