Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

i_wanna_blue
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2009, 5:29 am

When I was a kid I loved to climb. Being higher up made me feel free. I felt above the chaos which ensued at ground level, the normal level of my existence. I love the feeling of being high and looking down at the world which seems to be more than I can handle. As an adult now, obviously I can't stand on top of couches, hide on top of cupboards or sit on top of ladders for hours. I wish there was some way of experiencing solitude from high above. I guess thats why I love the Prince of Persia platform games. The Prince experiences solitude from the right place.

misslottie
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 May 2009, 6:02 am

-yes, i imagine it'd be fairly common.
'love of heights' is a known aspect of a.s- i've read it a couple of times.

i used to love climbing on anything/anyone. i still walk along those foot high walls beside parks!
i know im sensitive to atmospheric pressure, but surely one cant experience any difference in a few inches? having said that, i am freakishly over attuned to light, noise, weather, temprture, vibrations etc, so it probably is possible.
i get virtigo now, which is ironic.

krystalleyes
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

13 May 2009, 6:16 am

I was the same as a child - spent half my life up a tree! Also used to like climbing high walls etc. I also used to like jumping off things like walls, high gates, down stairs.

I was interested in what misslottie said re the vertigo, because I am the same and always wondered why considering what I was like as a child. I have got better with heights again as I have got older, can go up ladders and so on a bit.

My best 'height' experience was flying in a microlight aircraft (never got vertigo flying for some reason), up at several thousand feet with nothing but framework round you - yay!

i_wanna_blue, try it if you get chance - and why can't you sit on high things because you are an adult? Maybe the cupboard thing would freak people out a bit :) (though that's their problem not yours!) but...do what makes you happy I reckon.
I like sitting on high hills, cliffs etc a lot. Glastonbury Tor is excellent...

ryan93
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2009, 6:41 am

I love climbing abandoned buildings and scaling wals, but I have a touch of vertigo. I nearly had a heart attack when a friend of mine ran along a slanted roof five stories from the ground 8O

sbcmetroguy
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2009, 7:52 am

I broke my first bone at 3 years old. My mother had a step ladder in the kitchen, and when I got to the top I fell off and broke my arm. She called me a little monkey. My thing was, I was never afraid of heights but I was afraid to climb back down from somewhere after I'd scaled it. I used to climb trees all the time and I remember having to jump down into my friend's mother's arms when I was very young. I got up in their tree and couldn't get my dumb butt back down. lol

I love heights though, I just don't want to fall from up there. I love going to the top of the Sears Tower, flying in airplanes and looking down from way up in the clouds, etc.

i_wanna_blue
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2009, 12:47 pm

Nice it's good to know I'm not alone.

krystalleyes wrote:
i_wanna_blue, try it if you get chance - and why can't you sit on high things because you are an adult? Maybe the cupboard thing would freak people out a bit :) (though that's their problem not yours!) but...do what makes you happy I reckon.
I like sitting on high hills, cliffs etc a lot. Glastonbury Tor is excellent...

If the opportunity presents itself I'll give it a try. You know I've been wanting to sit on the roof of a dwelling which is separate from our house. But I'm scared that if the neighbours see me they'll think I'm some kind of wacko, or at night, a burglar. I do live in a city with a high crime rate.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

13 May 2009, 12:50 pm

well it all depends, like if im on a roof no..if im on a mountain, yes

Pugly
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2009, 1:22 pm

I like views from heights... and I can get used to them... my problem is always one of assurace.

If a machine or contraption is providing me safety, I need a couple of catious goes before my mind internally regards it as safe. Like on a roller coaster or something. Once I feel 'safe' I love the feeling.

If any of the safety is provided by my own coordination, I'll probably never feel safe. I'm so clumsy that I can't be assured of myself in these situations. And I know the moment I do get comfortable, is the exact moment I'll mess up. So I hate it.

But views and freedom from up above are great...

I've never been in a plane before... I'm curious of if I'll enjoy it or not.

Wanting more than what I have might appear as greed.

raisedbyignorance
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2009, 1:42 pm

I hate heights.

Which was ironic because when I was baby I apparently managed to walk on the balcony rail of a third story apartment without killing myself.

darby54
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

13 May 2009, 1:46 pm

I love the views from high places but if I'm at the mercy of a machine to keep me safe up there, forget it. I once took a hot-air balloon tour, and once a helicopter tour... both absolutely terrifying... but the views were spectacular. Needless to say, I hate flying. Love mountaintops, though.

Acacia
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2009, 2:04 pm

ooo yes.
I've always loved elevated places (and the process of ascent).
Trees, treehouses, hills, mountains, airplanes, top bunk-beds, lofts, towers, rooftops, escalators, elevators, etc.
Absolutely.

I had no idea this was supposed to be some kind of AS thing. hmmmm :chin:

WardenWolf
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2009, 2:12 pm

I guess I can say yes. Never really thought about it before. They certainly don't bother me at all. Have always liked top bunks and climbing, though.

RockDrummer616
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2009, 2:36 pm

I like heights, but I'm also a bit afraid of them.

Flismflop
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2009, 3:18 pm

This is a holdover from, our divergance from cats. Just like other AS traits have been.
:D

Rocky
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2009, 4:19 pm

When I went to high school, I spent a lot of time on the roof of my house. I would read while up there. I had almost forgotten that. I hadn't thought of that for years.

I used to fly hang gliders and had about ten sport parachute jumps. I used to enjoy the flight up in the little Sessna airplane almost as much as the jump itself.

I have always loved vistas from high vantage points in nature. Cliff edges give me a little vertigo if I don't have a hang glider attached to me.

@ i wanna blue- I like your avatar. Photos of the earth from space give one a sense of perspective.

Last edited by Rocky on 14 May 2009, 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.