Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

i_wanna_blue
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2009, 5:29 am

When I was a kid I loved to climb. Being higher up made me feel free. I felt above the chaos which ensued at ground level, the normal level of my existence. I love the feeling of being high and looking down at the world which seems to be more than I can handle. As an adult now, obviously I can't stand on top of couches, hide on top of cupboards or sit on top of ladders for hours. I wish there was some way of experiencing solitude from high above. I guess thats why I love the Prince of Persia platform games. The Prince experiences solitude from the right place.

misslottie
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 May 2009, 6:02 am

-yes, i imagine it'd be fairly common.
'love of heights' is a known aspect of a.s- i've read it a couple of times.

i used to love climbing on anything/anyone. i still walk along those foot high walls beside parks!
i know im sensitive to atmospheric pressure, but surely one cant experience any difference in a few inches? having said that, i am freakishly over attuned to light, noise, weather, temprture, vibrations etc, so it probably is possible.
i get virtigo now, which is ironic.

krystalleyes
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

13 May 2009, 6:16 am

I was the same as a child - spent half my life up a tree! Also used to like climbing high walls etc. I also used to like jumping off things like walls, high gates, down stairs.

I was interested in what misslottie said re the vertigo, because I am the same and always wondered why considering what I was like as a child. I have got better with heights again as I have got older, can go up ladders and so on a bit.

My best 'height' experience was flying in a microlight aircraft (never got vertigo flying for some reason), up at several thousand feet with nothing but framework round you - yay!

i_wanna_blue, try it if you get chance - and why can't you sit on high things because you are an adult? Maybe the cupboard thing would freak people out a bit :) (though that's their problem not yours!) but...do what makes you happy I reckon.
I like sitting on high hills, cliffs etc a lot. Glastonbury Tor is excellent...

ryan93
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2009, 6:41 am

I love climbing abandoned buildings and scaling wals, but I have a touch of vertigo. I nearly had a heart attack when a friend of mine ran along a slanted roof five stories from the ground 8O

sbcmetroguy
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2009, 7:52 am

I broke my first bone at 3 years old. My mother had a step ladder in the kitchen, and when I got to the top I fell off and broke my arm. She called me a little monkey. My thing was, I was never afraid of heights but I was afraid to climb back down from somewhere after I'd scaled it. I used to climb trees all the time and I remember having to jump down into my friend's mother's arms when I was very young. I got up in their tree and couldn't get my dumb butt back down. lol

I love heights though, I just don't want to fall from up there. I love going to the top of the Sears Tower, flying in airplanes and looking down from way up in the clouds, etc.

i_wanna_blue
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2009, 12:47 pm

Nice it's good to know I'm not alone.

krystalleyes wrote:
i_wanna_blue, try it if you get chance - and why can't you sit on high things because you are an adult? Maybe the cupboard thing would freak people out a bit :) (though that's their problem not yours!) but...do what makes you happy I reckon.
I like sitting on high hills, cliffs etc a lot. Glastonbury Tor is excellent...

If the opportunity presents itself I'll give it a try. You know I've been wanting to sit on the roof of a dwelling which is separate from our house. But I'm scared that if the neighbours see me they'll think I'm some kind of wacko, or at night, a burglar. I do live in a city with a high crime rate.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

13 May 2009, 12:50 pm

well it all depends, like if im on a roof no..if im on a mountain, yes

Pugly
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2009, 1:22 pm

I like views from heights... and I can get used to them... my problem is always one of assurace.

If a machine or contraption is providing me safety, I need a couple of catious goes before my mind internally regards it as safe. Like on a roller coaster or something. Once I feel 'safe' I love the feeling.

If any of the safety is provided by my own coordination, I'll probably never feel safe. I'm so clumsy that I can't be assured of myself in these situations. And I know the moment I do get comfortable, is the exact moment I'll mess up. So I hate it.

But views and freedom from up above are great...

I've never been in a plane before... I'm curious of if I'll enjoy it or not.

Wanting more than what I have might appear as greed.

raisedbyignorance
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2009, 1:42 pm

I hate heights.

Which was ironic because when I was baby I apparently managed to walk on the balcony rail of a third story apartment without killing myself.

darby54
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

13 May 2009, 1:46 pm

I love the views from high places but if I'm at the mercy of a machine to keep me safe up there, forget it. I once took a hot-air balloon tour, and once a helicopter tour... both absolutely terrifying... but the views were spectacular. Needless to say, I hate flying. Love mountaintops, though.

Acacia
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2009, 2:04 pm

ooo yes.
I've always loved elevated places (and the process of ascent).
Trees, treehouses, hills, mountains, airplanes, top bunk-beds, lofts, towers, rooftops, escalators, elevators, etc.
Absolutely.

I had no idea this was supposed to be some kind of AS thing. hmmmm :chin:

WardenWolf
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2009, 2:12 pm

I guess I can say yes. Never really thought about it before. They certainly don't bother me at all. Have always liked top bunks and climbing, though.

RockDrummer616
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2009, 2:36 pm

I like heights, but I'm also a bit afraid of them.

Flismflop
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2009, 3:18 pm

This is a holdover from, our divergance from cats. Just like other AS traits have been.
:D

Rocky
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2009, 4:19 pm

When I went to high school, I spent a lot of time on the roof of my house. I would read while up there. I had almost forgotten that. I hadn't thought of that for years.

I used to fly hang gliders and had about ten sport parachute jumps. I used to enjoy the flight up in the little Sessna airplane almost as much as the jump itself.

I have always loved vistas from high vantage points in nature. Cliff edges give me a little vertigo if I don't have a hang glider attached to me.

@ i wanna blue- I like your avatar. Photos of the earth from space give one a sense of perspective.

Last edited by Rocky on 14 May 2009, 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2009, 5:00 pm

yes..KoR is a height junkie.
best experience have had of being up high was using a huge zip wire at bendrigg [a holiday centre for people with disabilities],it required going up a huge height,standing at the edge and just going..everyone else had gone with from class had to be talked into doing it,they all sat down and just dropped into the movement,when it came to self-had just walked up to the ledge and jumped off,am do not have a sense of danger/fear but also believe if are attached to a zip wire [or anything else] by a harness,why think are going to fall?
also abseiling on the same holiday was awesome,was rubbish at the going up bit and ended up being pulled up as must have been unfit at the time,but going down-was told was very good at it because had no problem of leaning back without even being told and jumped all the way down.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!