Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

one1ai
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Jan 2006, 4:24 am

What if people continue to type bad comments and negative feelings about 'people in general' called 'NTs'?

Will this strengthen them, so they will want even more a "cure for autism"?

Nuntar
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Jan 2006, 8:06 am

Not this NT. :D

Considering that NTs are a majority of the world's population, we're pretty diverse, so I know that everyone, including the people making the criticism, recognises that there are some decent people mixed in with the crowd. So I don't take it as criticism of me -- I do my best to be one of the decent ones. If anything, my reaction is just the opposite of what you suggest -- getting to know how much hurt there is behind the criticism, and this is something I've only really found out since joining WP, makes me all the more want to do what I can to support you guys, if you'll let me.

Of course, this comes from a rather biased perspective, since my girlfriend is AS, and since discovering that I've come to realise how well that fits in with all the traits that make her such a wonderful and adorable person; so I'm pretty sure nothing could ever make me join the "cure for autism" camp. :wink:

one1ai
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Jan 2006, 12:54 pm

To all people:
Do you think if , lets say: 50 people signs up on an aspie site, and starts coming up with fake stories about how much they hate "NTs", that this will create a bad reputation for people who have an ASD diagnosis?

BeeBee
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2006, 1:13 pm

Not as long as the site stays quiet. Most people just don't have enough interest to find and read a site like that.

If it starts getting publicity for some reason (ie a poster on that site commits a hate crime against an NT and the news outlets find the site), then it might if the site is considered representative of how people with ASD think. If it had 50 members, then no, as there are a lot larger sites with more tolerant people. If it had like 5,000 active members, then maybe. I say maybe rather than yes because, the truth is, most NT's don't think about ASDs at all. The curbies and other NTs with an interest in ASD almost always have a personal connection to someone with an ASD and therefore will be more influenced by their personal experience than what they read about on a website.

BeeBee

lowfreq50
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2006, 2:12 pm

If a group of Aspergians started invading message boards and blogs (popular ones) and did so regularly, and did some hacker attacks in the name of Asperger, then this might generate a lot of ill-will against Aspergians. Still, it would not make headlines. It would be an internet-only attack.

We DON'T need AS terrorists. What a horrible idea. If we get any press it should be positive, not negative. Remember when that kid in O.C. CA. killed his neighbors and himself? That's exactly what we don't need.

vetivert
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2006, 4:59 pm

apart from anything else, i really don't see how anyone can class a whole swathe of people into one category - how can all "NT"s be the same? or act in the same way? such a huge number of people cannot possibly be a homogenous group.

it's like saying all british people are the same, or all people with blue eyes are the same. or all people with AS are the same.

completely illogical, and utter nonsense.

Last edited by vetivert on 12 Jan 2006, 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pad
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2006, 5:02 pm

No.

Gracias.

Chain
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Jan 2006, 6:28 pm

I generally don't criticize NTs...I do however criticize their view of AS as being disordered or less intelligent...

The way I see it about 60 - 70 % are NTs (What I call "cultural group joiners"). AS is mainly comprised of people who will never be diagnosed. It feels around 5 to 7 percent.
Once you see the signs of low "marking behavior" (gender, status and group) it becomes clear how vital AS is to humanity as a whole. NTs are taught to be "in group" markers. Anything outside the group should be viewed with a superior standpoint. Disorder is simply a label used to do this.

AS is actually quite numerous in ranks. Most of AS is what I call "extra-cultural group joiners". The main function of AS is to form sidestream cultures that break off from the mainstream. This provides a "steam valve" for the size of human tribal groups. The new group then has a few "NT children" when the NT population reaches a high enough percentage...it drives out the AS population who form a new tribe.

This is the functional reason behind the anger that AS has towards the mainstream and why xdom is very popular with AS. (Fandom, geekdom....) and sidestream religions and movements often are filled with AS. Basically you have people who desire to be accepted and are not.... so they find acceptance with others who are not accepted and split the group.

Anyway...this is what the model says. AS is not a disorder but a functional difference in communication strategy that is stripped down in some case to primal.

We don't look people in the eyes because that is a sign of intimacy or aggression...it is our primal face...and it is different from the cultural faces.
NTs are functioning as designed and so are we. I don't have anger at NTs because I am another layer removed through my ADD...I am not even accepted in groups with high AS concentration, lol. The NTs think I am very strange and AS think I am more like an NT... heck ADDers are even wierded out by my lack of facial expression.

Why be critical of people...ideas are more important. There are a lot of strange and bad ideas floating around and they don't even have feelings :)

The gist is... there is no cure for Autism because it is part of the functional fabric of humanity...it is not broken. When you try to fix a person with AS...you break them.

AS people who have primal vocalization and never learned how to move their bodies are not broken either... they are differently communicating and astoundingly smart...

one1ai
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Jan 2006, 12:22 pm

lowfreq50 wrote:
Remember when that kid in O.C. CA. killed his neighbors and himself? That's exactly what we don't need.

Yeah, but wait...the person claimed "he had ASD".

or more objectively....

A person went to this site claimed he had Asperger's.
People link this incident with the person who went to this site and posted various messages.

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2006, 1:00 pm

First of all, the word NT can be used in three sometimes conflicting senses:

• Not on the autistic spectrum. This individual does not have Asperger's syndrome, high-functioning autism, atypical autism, low-functioning autism, Rett syndrome, childhood disintegrative disorder, multiplex developmental disorder, or any other pervasive developmental disorder. Thus their neurodevelopment is inferred to be typical.
  • Having attitudes and mannerisms in line with the norm. These individuals are popular, outgoing, make friends easily, dress well, and behave like most other people.
  • Not having a neurological difference. These are people who do not show signs of having any divergent neurology that aspies on various sites on the Internet have decided constitutes a form of neurodiversity. This is a more restricted subset of NT in the first sense.
  • Relatives, friends, teachers, and therapists of people with an autistic spectrum condition. The NT world is usually actually defined as that small subset of people who are trying to extinguish autistic behavior as deviant. From this tiny subset, autistic individuals might project the same workings onto a much larger population who receive the same label NT but who probably know next to nothing about the individual projecting some NT-world hate and who also don't even know what autism is.

I do not have animosity towards NTness (pronounce it like emptiness :lol:), but I find the undercurrent of oppression from a greater society that somehow instinctively knows we are mildly autistic and thus goes out of its way to crush us to be infinitely amusing to caricature. It's obvious any NT discrimination against us is not a conscious act to oppress ACs (autistics and cousins) but a simple consequence of our apparently odd behavior.