Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

computerlove
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2009, 11:18 pm

OSX operating systems now hold just a hair over 50% of the market for the first time*. Given that Apple was able to be seen as a thriving competitor with market shares as low as 5-6%, will the general public begin to look at OSX more seriously?

I think that once OSX market share reaches a critical mass, we will suddenly see third-party vendors supporting it better, games and other applications being developed for it (even if they stay proprietary) and large numbers of people moving to OSX from Windows because, with third party applications, games, and support, OSX becomes very much a viable alternative to Windows in every way. The reason this couldn't happen with OS X as much was because OS X was tied exclusively to Apple hardware, but Linux can run on anything and so**, once it begins to be adopted seriously, it could build up a good deal of momentum.

* at this university:
http://itc.virginia.edu/students/inventory/compare/

** even potatoes

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2009, 3:10 am

computerlove wrote:
** even potatoes

And badgers!

Thanks for the laugh Mister Winehouse.

I do think that the rise of linux will be good for OSX.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2009, 8:50 am

Good parody, but check your math.

computerlove
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2009, 9:29 pm

* Data may vary, For illustrative purposes only