Page 3 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2009, 6:51 am

marshall wrote:
Okay. I have the urge to go off on a philosophical tangent here.

I think it's wrong to categorize all thinking in terms of an epic battle between logic and emotion. Why can't someone have both? You don't need to be a robot to think logically and not all emotionally driven people are illogical.

No one's innermost desires/drives can be attributed to reason alone. People who try to do this are either confused, mislead, or intellectually dishonest IMO.

I absolutely agree. It's (illogically) reductive to force an either/or choice. It's like the old nature/nurture debate. Whether people are NT, Aspie or something else, emotion and logic are at play in everybody's decisions.

NomadicAssassin
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 May 2009, 8:44 am

i dont know, honestly, more recently allot of the NT's i have seen show lack of logic? They almost choose to be in lack of terms " dumb ", i dont understand it, and when i try to help them they yell at me or get angry at me, so i let them screw up, and then they get angry because i didnt warn them?

Albert Einstein

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2009, 8:58 am

Bozewani wrote:
This is a very blunt and direct question Do they?

logic comes along with language. Any one who can think abstractly has logic. That includes NTs and Aspies. Only severely injured or retarded humans are devoid of logic.

ruveyn

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2009, 9:05 am

Yes, I agree, but it does seem like certain individuals have a refined sense of logic. It's weird, but, sometimes what's logical makes no sense to me. I wonder if it's possible for the logical to be the inverse of itself? Logic becomes negative logic and thus a deficit. You can, theoretically, have negative numbers.

Eller
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2009, 11:51 am

Logic doesn't have anything to do with being AS or NT. Of course NT people have logic. This thread is absurd.

fiddlerpianist
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2009, 11:54 am

Eller wrote:
Logic doesn't have anything to do with being AS or NT. Of course NT people have logic. This thread is absurd.

+1

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2009, 12:00 pm

Janissy wrote:
marshall wrote:
Okay. I have the urge to go off on a philosophical tangent here.

I think it's wrong to categorize all thinking in terms of an epic battle between logic and emotion. Why can't someone have both? You don't need to be a robot to think logically and not all emotionally driven people are illogical.

No one's innermost desires/drives can be attributed to reason alone. People who try to do this are either confused, mislead, or intellectually dishonest IMO.

I absolutely agree. It's (illogically) reductive to force an either/or choice. It's like the old nature/nurture debate. Whether people are NT, Aspie or something else, emotion and logic are at play in everybody's decisions.

The false dichotomy really annoys me because I see myself as being logical as well as emotional. I'm an INTP so my thinking tends to be logically oriented, yet I'm still very sensitive to beauty. Extremely unsentimental down-to-earth types with rigid adherence to facts and practicality make me feel :tired:. Crusty stale people. I'm not like them at all.

I even view logic itself as having an aesthetic quality. I can see beauty in mathematical proofs, like the beauty of a machine where all the parts have a specific purpose and work together flawlessly.