Page 3 of 3 [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2007, 6:39 am

I've seen plenty of foreign films - hundreds, in fact - so there's not a lot of use me putting down the ones I liked here as there are too many of them!

I did watch a Korean film last night: The Host, which was basically a monster movie with some comedic, dramatic and political moments. It was a mildly entertaining romp but to be honest it was nothing great.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2007, 5:06 pm

Just watched another Korean film tonight on DVD - Sympathy for Lady Vengeance. Most of it confused me - certainly not an easy film to follow and understand most of the subtexts and whatever else that's going on with it. Mind you, come to think of it I thought much the same about Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance too, so it can't be all bad. :)

computerlove
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2007, 5:11 pm

Tequila wrote:
Just watched another Korean film tonight on DVD - Sympathy for Lady Vengeance. Most of it confused me - certainly not an easy film to follow and understand most of the subtexts and whatever else that's going on with it. Mind you, come to think of it I thought much the same about Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance too, so it can't be all bad. :)

ah, that's a trilogy right? heard very good comments about those movies

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2007, 5:31 pm

computerlove wrote:
Tequila wrote:

Yeah, seen all three (Oldboy as well) and didn't understand most of any of it! :lol:

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2007, 7:05 pm

...I'm hoping to , tonight , see Jean Cocteau's BEAUTY AND THE BEAST (saw , many years ago , on TV) on a double feature with Ingmar Bergman;s THE SEVENTH SEAL (never have seen) .
I saw PAN'S LABRYNITH recently , as I've ``` already ``` posted here about ! !! !! !! !!

JayM
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Feb 2007, 8:55 pm

One of my favourite films is an Indian one called Asoka, great story and I actually enjoy the songs. :D Other than that I've only seen the usual (House of Flying Daggers and stuff).

ping-machine
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2007, 4:07 am

Anxiled wrote:
I assume you are talking aout non-English speaking movies.

Ikiru
Three Colors: Red
Shall We Dance
Eat, Drink Man Woman
Just Visiting(French Version)
Ju-On(And all the sequels)

Thank you for being the first to mention "Shall We Dance"

Others I like:

Water Boys
Black Rain
... and everything by Studio Ghibli
(Japan)

Strings (Can't remember where that's from)

...And from France, that one with Jean Reno where the two guys travel forward in time from the middle ages.

PS I've heard mention of movies from New Zealand, Australia, America... Can someone define for sure what constitutes a "foreign" film?

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2007, 4:33 pm

...Given that this forum is mostly English-speakers/from English-speaking countries , a non-English-speaking movie ????????? ( Of course , there's some Welsh and Scots??-language British movies , French Canadian , Native langusges in North America/Oceania, Irish Gaelic in Eire...)

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2007, 5:45 pm

I think it's intended to meet non-English, generally. In Britain it would mean non-English language films and films not from the UK or Ireland.

I watched an old Polish film tonight, Passenger. I found it to be a mild curiosity but it was obviously unfinished. Didn't make a whole lot of sense to me but perhaps that was the point.

Tanz
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Feb 2007, 2:18 am

City of Lost Children
Delicatessen
Tin Drum (that is foreign, right? Gunter Grass)
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
Th Pirate Movie (does that count? it's Australian, I think)

"Lunch...is on Millie" - Ace Rimmer

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2007, 7:15 pm

I've just finished a DVD of the South African film Tsotsi. It was very good and kept me interested right the way through. It's perhaps not quite as good as, say, City of God but certainly it's one of the best films I've seen in a while. The only better film I've seen recently would be the South Korean film Oasis - funny, disturbing and very touching.

ping-machine
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2007, 8:07 pm

Tequila wrote:
I think it's intended to meet non-English, generally. In Britain it would mean non-English language films and films not from the UK or Ireland.

It's so difficult and problematic to define what constitutes a "foreign film". For example, are Hollywood movies foreign films? What makes (in some people's minds) a Bollywood film foreign while a Hollywood film perhaps is not? Are foreign films always independant, and what constitutes an independant film anyway? Is a Star Wars movie an independant film because George Lucas provided funding? If I am in New Zealand, is Lord of the Rings a foreign film? If I am FROM Australia, are Australian films foreign? When I left Japan, did Japanese films become foreign and would they have counted as foreign films while I was there?

AngelsFall
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Mar 2007, 2:59 pm

[Japanese, Live-Action]
BATTLE ROYALE!! !
& Battle Royale II, Suicide Circle, Death Note 1 & 2, Tokyo Eleven, Ju-On movies, Ringu movies, Dark Water, Kamikaze Girls, NANA

[Japanese, Anime]
MILLENNIUM ACTRESS, Mononoke-hime, Nausicaa, Neko no Ongaeshi, Vampire Hunter D, X

[Korean]
My Sassy Girl (Ahh I need to get more Korean ones xD)

[Chinese]
Tricky Brains, Lucky Star, Driving Miss Wealthy
(I like the martial arts ones too but these cute & funny ones are my favourite<3!)

I love Taiwanese, Japanese and Korean TV dramas too!

Last edited by AngelsFall on 03 Mar 2007, 5:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2007, 3:07 am

Oh, I love Korean cinema and I've seen My Sassy Girl. Up to now I've seen:

• Barking Dogs Never Bite
  • A Bittersweet Life
  • Christmas in August
  • Failan
  • Friend
  • Guns & Talks
  • Happy End
  • The Host
  • Il Mare
  • The Isle
  • My Sassy Girl
  • Oasis
  • Oldboy
  • Sympathy for Lady Vengeance
  • Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance

...and I have Take Care of My Cat ready and waiting to be watched, which I probably will do sometime later today.

So you might say I've seen quite a bit of South Korean cinema. Some I quite enjoyed; others simply confused or bored me.

I used to be a big Hong Kong and Stephen Chow fan a few years back too and still have almost all of his films hanging around on DVD.

Japanese films, particularly anime, never really interested me. However, I do like the odd one that I've seen.

TN
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Mar 2007, 1:19 pm

anyone know of the movies El Topo and The Holy Mountain?

Its made in Mexico

IMy name is, shakezula, the mike ruler, the old skooler, you want to trip, i bring it to ya, Frylock and im on top rock like a cop, Meatwad your up next with your knock, knock, Meatwad make the money see, Meatwad get the honeys G, ice on my fingers and im

computerlove
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2007, 5:58 pm

Tequila wrote:
computerlove wrote:

Yeah, seen all three (Oldboy as well) and didn't understand most of any of it! :lol:

hehe!

ping-machine wrote:
...And from France, that one with Jean Reno where the two guys travel forward in time from the middle ages.

PS I've heard mention of movies from New Zealand, Australia, America... Can someone define for sure what constitutes a "foreign" film?

The visitors
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Les_Visiteurs

AngelsFall wrote:
[Japanese, Anime]
MILLENNIUM ACTRESS, Mononoke-hime, Nausicaa, Neko no Ongaeshi, Vampire Hunter D, X

There's a new movie coming out by the same director of Millenium actress/Paranoia agent, it's called Paprika
http://www.apple.com/trailers/sony/paprika/trailer/
looks very cool, a must!

TN wrote:
anyone know of the movies El Topo and The Holy Mountain?

Its made in Mexico

Haven't seen them, but heard very good comments, El Topo was not so long ago uploaded to google video, the whole film! but it was taken down...