How we deal with racism and hate speech on Wrong Planet

Page 13 of 19 [ 299 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 19  Next

Oh_no_its_Ferris
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2020, 5:42 pm

This ignorant Welsh peasant would like to respectfully ask Alex to put together a comprehensive list of words and idioms we are allowed or not allowed to use based on what race each of us happens to be.

Would that be possible, do you think?

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2020, 5:54 pm

Quote:
Let me be very clear because you still seem to be under the impression that I'm okay with racism. I will not tolerate racism here or anywhere else, but I'm also not going to accuse someone of being a racist without bothering to have a conversation with them about their offensive words or actions, and I will always try to explain to them why it's hurtful to others. But simply declaring someone a racist helps no one.

Totally agree.

Me: I am okay if people want to have kids with their own race to keep their heritage going

Someone else: I really hope you don't mean they can't have kids with white people

Me: I never said that

Someone else: Okay, just making sure. So you do think people can have kids with anyone they want regardless of race?

Me: of course. I never said they couldn't have kids with white people

Someone else: Just making sure like I say because that line you used is a line that white supremacists often say to mean they cannot have kids with white people so it's a doggy whistle you used.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Oh_no_its_Ferris
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2020, 6:01 pm

AuroraBorealisGazer wrote:
alex wrote:
alex wrote:
I'm done being diplomatic.

Alex, all of our attempts to reason with you have failed. There was I time I would have thanked you for creating the place where I met my husband, and found acceptance among people who share my struggles.

In the last few days you've made many deeply troubling comments that, among other things, promote ableism. I don't know where everyone else stands, but I personally don't feel comfortable with you speaking on our behalf as an ASD advocate.

You've lost the plot.

Furthermore, you harm the anti-racism and BLM movement by making sweeping generalizations, that will inevitably push people away from the ultimate goal.

Give admin powers to the mod team and let those who are better at this stuff address the community.

With all due respect, just a page earlier in this thread you posted the hail emoji ( :hail: ) in response to a comment that contains some blatantly ableist comments directed at me me so it makes me wonder.

While I understand that people may have issues with being called racist if it's unfounded, I think we can deal with figuring out how to prevent that from happening in a constructive manner.

I think the issue is the definition of the word racist has changed from meaning just a hateful person who genuinely believes that people of another race are inferior to meaning someone who says something or does something that is problematic to another race. For instance, a lot of people would say it's racist to use certain expressions that are unique to black culture even though obviously it's likely not coming from a bad place. Even saying "yas queen" as a white person would be viewed as racist by a number of black people.

Clearly the membership here is not as up-to-date with that shift in understanding as I thought and I do apologize for not realizing that I'm probably in a bubble working in the entertainment industry and living in a progressive coastal city. I think that would be a valid point to make regarding the new guidelines. It appears a lot of people still see the term racist in the older more specific tone. So that's a discussion we should have about it.

Oh for cripe's sake dude. Using my repost of someone else's comment (that I took as a reaction of pure frustration where the attacking words against you were in jest to get you to see how ridiculous this has become) to deflect your own ableist ideals is beyond the pale. For the record, I was praising Ferris for speaking frankly, but that's really not the point.

This is why I'm fed up. We try to express ourselves to you and you decide to focus on side stuff and ignore the main issues.

Regarding your comments on the definition of racism: The issue is actually that you can not prove someone's feelings towards other races, you have to go off evidence.

Please stop adding to the long list of things you believe are considered universally and unequivocally racist. It's becoming overwhelming. I would prefer to here these things from leaders of the civil rights or BLM movement, so that I know it's not just something privileged people have decided.

The issue is that racism is no longer viewed by everyone from the lens of intent. I think that distinction is where the disagreement comes from.

I honestly believe you're coming from a much more ableist position, implying that autistic people are unable to understand the nuance involved in conversations of race and need to be coddled from what is perceived as a personal attack but may not actually be one at all. Some of us may have more difficulty at first but all of these ideas and concepts are certainly accessible to those on the spectrum. And for those black autistics, racism, even the less obvious kind, is a lived experience they're well aware of.

Please refrain from putting those words in my mouth. I specifically cited my own experiences with nuance and using the wrong words as evidence that SOME of us continue to struggle with these things. I also noted that other people had been saying they also struggle with this. Do not attempt to twist this into ableism when it clearly isn't. Accept that your expectations that everyone here know every little double entendre or cultural nuance, particularly ones that are unique to your own microcosm, is unreasonable. And when we do get it wrong, you have demonstrated that it's okay to brand us as a racist without every taking the time to find out what we thought we were communicating, much I less trying to calmly explain why it was wrong. That's the part that is ableism. And I don't throw that word around lightly.

Let me be very clear because you still seem to be under the impression that I'm okay with racism. I will not tolerate racism here or anywhere else, but I'm also not going to accuse someone of being a racist without bothering to have a conversation with them about their offensive words or actions, and I will always try to explain to them why it's hurtful to others. But simply declaring someone a racist helps no one.

Would you like a resolution here it are you enjoying arguing with all of us?

I would use the hail emoji for this post but it might be misconstrued as something else and used against you in a court of law :roll: , but you know how I feel ABG

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2020, 6:05 pm

League_Girl wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
TheRobotLives wrote:
magz wrote:
It's not about banning the word, it's about treating "you're racist" as a personal accusation just like all other kinds of "you're a bad person".

Soon we'll all be calling each other racist based on our own lexicography.

You want to raise taxes on POC (people of color) and give it to a white racist system <--- You're a racist![/quote]

That exactly would be racist.

Out of touch, ok boomer I would agree that wanting to raise taxes only on POC is racist opinion because it is an explicitly discriminatory thought.

At least we both agree on something here.
:D

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

AuroraBorealisGazer
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2020, 6:07 pm

@Ferris: :lol:

Oh_no_its_Ferris
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2020, 6:07 pm

League_Girl wrote:
so it's a doggy whistle you used.

Are you talking about coded messages , I think you have already stated how you feel about these.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2020, 6:11 pm

There is “systemic racism”—but many people who are the victims of this systemic racism are able to transcend it.

In the old days, discrimination of all types was more rife than it is now. Much work needs to be done—but much work has already been done.

I don’t believe branding “privileged” people automatic racists will solve the problem.

What will solve the problem is when everyone is on a level playing field.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2020, 6:12 pm

Oh_no_its_Ferris wrote:
League_Girl wrote:

Are you talking about coded messages , I think you have already stated how you feel about these.

Yes, I was saying how someone can say a sentence and mean it literally but it happens to be a coded message for something else because of ignorance.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2020, 6:14 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
There is “systemic racism”—but many people who are the victims of this systemic racism are able to transcend it.

In the old days, discrimination of all types was more rife than it is now. Much work needs to be done—but much work has already been done.

I don’t believe branding “privileged” people automatic racists will solve the problem.

What will solve the problem is when everyone is on a level playing field.

So people are admitting systemic racism finally when it seemed like only last week or the week before, everyone here was denying it was a thing.

Oh_no_its_Ferris
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2020, 6:16 pm

League_Girl wrote:
Oh_no_its_Ferris wrote:
League_Girl wrote:

Yes, I was saying how someone can say a sentence and mean it literally but it happens to be a coded message for something else because of ignorance.

so a dog whistle is not always a dog whistle , it just depends on the dogs who hear it

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2020, 6:19 pm

I never denied that there is systemic racism.

I have studied the civil rights movement extensively.

I speak with people of other races than mine the same as I would speak with someone of my own race.

There is no mysticism associated with other races.

Oh_no_its_Ferris
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2020, 6:25 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I never denied that there is systemic racism.

I haven't seen anyone say that either but clearly LG has seen it with her own eyes.

Maybe everyone should have it as a signature so there is no confusion where people are coming from

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2020, 6:33 pm

I feel like blaming myself, by virtue of being white, for all the ills of the world and the brutality of our past is patently ridiculous.

I will not do that. I never owned slaves. I didn’t pass smallpox to Native Americans.

To deny the history is also patently ridiculous.

White privilege didn’t get me my job or my place of residence.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2020, 6:37 pm

Raleigh wrote:
^ what about racist terms from countries other than the USA?

For example "boong" or "Jackie"?

Hey. Wait a minute here ? Who is a Jackie. And. What does that mean. Btw ? Or. What is a Jackie ?

Needs explanation please , reference. , what country? How derogatory of a term does it reflect?
Enquiring minds want to know? :roll:

where ever you go ,there you are

Oh_no_its_Ferris
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2020, 6:41 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:

White privilege didn’t get me my job or my place of residence.

There are some who will disagree with that KK , some will say that a PoC or a women candidate up against you has a disadvantage , due to your white and male privilege.

It is what it is - Not worth beating yourself up over it but we have to make sure our children have more equality in life - that's all we can do.

alex
Developer
Developer

25 Aug 2020, 6:42 pm

Just going to say that I'm going to be removing myself from this discussion. I've laid out the rules in the first post and I think any further discussion is just going to be me repeating myself. If in the future you have an issue where you think someone is unfairly calling you a racist, please feel free to make a report and I'm sure the moderators or I will be able to look into it to determine if it's said for no reason, just to inflame things, or actually in response to something that is viewed as racist.