Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2006, 4:47 am

^^topic

jman
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2006, 9:34 am

I just started a new job as a residential advisor for people with developmental disablities and mental health issues. i aslo graduated school with an associates in Infomration Technology. I just started looking for a job in IT however I will probably still wok the job have now on the weekends since I enjoy so much.

Nan
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2006, 9:48 am

jman wrote:
I just started a new job as a residential advisor for people with developmental disablities and mental health issues. i aslo graduated school with an associates in Infomration Technology. I just started looking for a job in IT however I will probably still wok the job have now on the weekends since I enjoy so much.

Cool job!

I push paper around on a desk and make my organization look as if it's following the applicable rules and regulations that nobody ever really checks on.

neptunevsmars
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2006, 10:08 am

I was doing that for a while...then one day they did check. 8O 8O

Amongst other things I play Duran Duran, Michael Jackson and Laura Branigan etc., in an inner suburban pub until the patrons are shocked and/or pissed enough to start singing karaoke. Apparently I'm very good at my job.

You got to ask for it

Elanivalae
Raven
Raven

23 Apr 2006, 11:40 am

I design closet organization systems at the moment, until I get through grad school. Then I will hopefully be a librarian.

parts
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2006, 8:58 pm

I do small home improvements handyman work and intall insulation

neongrl
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2006, 9:15 am

I work in a residential home taking care of people with developmental/physical disabilities. There are 5 ladies living in the home where I'm working now, ages 30-52. I've been doing this job part-time for 10 years (I've worked in several different homes over that time) and I really love it.

Nan
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2006, 10:41 am

Elanivalae wrote:
I design closet organization systems at the moment, until I get through grad school. Then I will hopefully be a librarian.

Oh, that is SO cool! I always wanted to be a librarian, but couldn't afford to go to get a MLS degree.

NoMore
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2006, 12:13 pm

I have been homeschooling my five children for the past 12 years. Our oldest graduated from Penn State University and will be going to Temple Law School in the fall. Our youngest is currently in 3rd grade.

ZedSimon
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2006, 12:11 am

I'm in broadcasting. I do radio once every couple of weeks, but spend most of my time in television. You'll find me behind the scenes at a major group of TV networks I just got a job with, controlling everything you see and hear...except when I lose control of it all. Fortunately that's not gonna happen too much.

neongrl
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2006, 8:35 am

ZedSimon wrote:
You'll find me behind the scenes at a major group of TV networks I just got a job with, controlling everything you see and hear...except when I lose control of it all. Fortunately that's not gonna happen too much.

Wow, what a job. I do live sound mixing for a band and I know how much stuff you have to keep track of just for that - almost overload-inducing (multi tasking with so many distractions all around me - it can take a pretty intense level of concentration to stay focused and remember everything that I need to be watching)... And your job must involve so much more than anything I have to deal with. Sounds like it would definitely be a fun job though.

ZedSimon
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2006, 10:33 am

Oh, definitely fun. But loads of responsibility. Among other things, I have to monitor an east coast program feed, a west coast feed, a playlist, a commercial log, a backup tape, and a machine that allows cable companies to insert their commercials over ours at specific times. A lot of our training has centered around what to do if something goes wrong...and there's a LOT that can go wrong. Servers crash, video switchers mess up transitions into and out of commercials or credit "crunches" at the end of a show, and yes, operators sometimes mess up too. If there's a noticeable lapse, it has the potential to be seen (or heard) by millions of people.

snowboardinstyle
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Apr 2006, 3:40 pm

I fix computers. I love my job, because I get to fix computers at my own pace. I hammer them out quickly too, due to my experience.

The major reason why I love my job is because I can be who I am at the office. I am professional when dealing with customers, but I truly am a goofball around the secretaries, owner, and other techs. It's fun!

Unfortunately, business has been slow, so I've been forced to work less hours :(

julieme
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

25 Apr 2006, 8:18 pm

I design the logic and control behaviors for critical care ventilators and anesthesia machines.

It is lots of fun and part of my job is observing doctors and nurses to see how they use their current equipment so I travel too.

neptunevsmars
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2006, 5:07 am

neongrl wrote:
I do live sound mixing for a band and I know how much stuff you have to keep track of just for that - almost overload-inducing (multi tasking with so many distractions all around me - it can take a pretty intense level of concentration to stay focused and remember everything that I need to be watching)... And your job must involve so much more than anything I have to deal with. Sounds like it would definitely be a fun job though.

What sort of a band is it, Neon? Are there a lot of instruments/voices going on? Just curious to know as I have to work with a small desk at times. Although I know more than a complete novice about it, :roll: it's still not as yet my forte in life.

You got to ask for it

neongrl
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2006, 9:21 am

neptunevsmars wrote:
What sort of a band is it, Neon? Are there a lot of instruments/voices going on? Just curious to know as I have to work with a small desk at times. Although I know more than a complete novice about it, it's still not as yet my forte in life.

Well I'm certainly not a professional sound person (my real job is in another post). My husband is the drummer in the band so I just kinda taught myself how to do sound for their band practices... that was at least a couple of years ago and now I'd say I'm pretty good at it. My husband is an amateur sound guy too and he taught me a lot, and I've learned a lot of the technical stuff from reading owner's manuals for the equipment.

The band does rock-style praise/worship music for Christian youth events, youth rallies, etc. On the sound board we have 3 vocal mics, 2 electric guitars, a bass guitar (we just mic the guitar amps for those three), an acoustic guitar plugged in, a keyboard, and depending on the venue we sometimes mic the drums so that's 4 more channels. So we have either 8 or 12 channels depending on the drums. There's also a few other channels going for the event - a cordless mic for the guest speaker, cd, and dvd audio. For band practices every week I'm doing it by myself, but when there's an actual event I have another sound guy helping me.