Page 1 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2019, 4:03 am

A good Samaritan, who lost everything and was jailed for a week after a young woman accused him of sexual assault, wants her to suffer the same.
A young woman, who put a man in a maximum-security jail for a week after falsely accusing him of stalking and sexually assaulting her, has faced court over the crime.
Caitlyn Gray, 19 at the time of the offence, fronted Bankstown Local Court today appearing downcast as she sat with tears in her eyes.
The now 20-year-old is accused of lying for days in November last year over the way Sydney dad Kenan Basic behaved after he spent more than two hours helping her get her damaged car back on the road at a petrol station in western Sydney.
Mr Basic, 36, lost his job, was served with divorce papers from his wife and spent a week in Silverwater Jail in Sydney’s west after he was accused of the horrific crime on November 22 last year.
Gray had claimed the father-of-one had lunged at her and grabbed her breast and vagina after she refused his advances as “payment” for helping with her car.
Seven days later, Gray she admitted she’d made the whole thing up.
https://www.news.com.au/national/nsw-ac ... 0ab74191ca

Crimadella
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2019, 6:56 am

The real question is how is someone convicted and sent to jail all by a claim made with no evidence other than one persons testimony that could be potentially lying? What happened to the process of innocent until proven guilty. I mean seriously, can I just walk down the street, look at someone and claim they robbed me and they will serve time as long as I stick to my story?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2019, 2:01 am

Stories like this one indicate why it's not always worth being a good samaritan...

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2019, 3:30 am

Crimadella wrote:
The real question is how is someone convicted and sent to jail all by a claim made with no evidence other than one persons testimony that could be potentially lying? What happened to the process of innocent until proven guilty.

"Listen and Believe" happened.

MrsPeel
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2019, 4:53 am

In cases of sexual assault it is always one persons word against another, and there is rarely any other evidence.
There are really important reasons to believe the one who claims to have been attacked, I'd hate to see a system where the attacker is always given the benefit of the doubt and faces no punishment.

Which is why it is incredibly galling to see people making things up like that, it undermines so many advances in the way victims of assault are treated in the legal system.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2019, 5:02 am

Which is precisely why the book needs to be thrown at this girl

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2019, 5:27 am

cyberdad wrote:
Which is precisely why the book needs to be thrown at this girl

Agreed, however knee jerk reactions have likely influenced the process enough. Consideration of the broader picture is needed for the title of the book.

MrsPeel
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2019, 6:01 am

True. It does sound like the guy might have said something obscene to the girl, or possibly a joke in very bad taste.
But even if that's so, the way she's handled it has been appalling.

SpiceWolf
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2019, 7:14 am

MrsPeel wrote:
True. It does sound like the guy might have said something obscene to the girl, or possibly a joke in very bad taste.
But even if that's so, the way she's handled it has been appalling.

Why do you still continue to believe her, after she is proven to have lied?
The only evidence we have that he said anything obscene is the word of a proven perjurer who stands to gain from trying to spin/minimise the lies they have already been caught in.

And when I look at the CCTV footage, in all my years of lived experience, women don't give enthusiastic hugs like that to men who creep them out, or men they find repulsive.

TheRevengeofTW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2019, 8:16 am

So the lesson to be learned here: don't try to do the right thing for anybody and never trust anybody, ever.

The Spades teach us to conquer all we claim.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2019, 8:21 am

Do you really believe that?

TheRevengeofTW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2019, 8:28 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Do you really believe that?

Sometimes. But I'm only human. It's human nature to seek out other humans who we feel we can trust not to hurt us. :shrug:

When one hears stories like this it makes you lose faith in people though.

I bet this guy is thinking "That's the LAST time I bother to help somebody stranded on the side of the road!"

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2019, 8:37 am

The people who believe in this sort of absolute----are people who are inflexible, and don't really see what is "real."

TheRevengeofTW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2019, 8:47 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
The people who believe in this sort of absolute----are people who are inflexible, and don't really see what is "real."

You can't really blame people for losing trust in people after experiencing a trauma like that. That borders on victim blaming.

If something like this happened to me I would refuse to help anybody stuck on the road ever again. And I would not blame anybody else who felt the same way.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2019, 9:14 am

I'm not "victim blaming."

I'm just saying----why lose faith in all humanity because of the actions of a few idiots?

Why lose your desire to help people because of the actions of a few idiots?

You would become what those idiots want you to become.

TheRevengeofTW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2019, 9:23 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I'm not "victim blaming."

I'm just saying----why lose faith in all humanity because of the actions of a few idiots?

Why lose your desire to help people because of the actions of a few idiots?

You would become what those idiots want you to become.

I think you already know the answer to that. Because you might potentially run into more monsters like that b***h who will hurt you all over again.

My house got broken into by a junkie while I was still home by myself one night and I was so terrfied I hid in my bedroom. Now I lock my doors and set the alarm on my house every night before I go to sleep and I keep a baseball bat next to my bed for the next junkie who tries to break into my house.

Do I throw caution to the wind, leave my doors unlocked, my alarm off, and toss my baseball bat in the trash because "not all people are bad"?