Strange Coins and Currency of the World

Page 24 of 30 [ 480 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27 ... 30  Next

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2019, 11:50 am

fluffysaurus wrote:
When you change presidents do you issue new notes with them . . .

Good heavens no. You monarchists do that sort of thing; we republicans do not. In fact, no actual person of any kind appeared on US coins until the Lincoln (centennial) cent in 1909, and that was initially intended to be temporary.

There Are Four Lights!

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2020, 3:35 pm

Pretty!

There Are Four Lights!

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2020, 5:52 pm

fluffysaurus wrote:
When you change presidents do you issue new notes with them on or do only previous (long dead) presidents go on your money?

Some of them aren't even presidents.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2020, 5:56 pm

Only 5 of these are known to exist iirc

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2020, 8:09 pm

EzraS wrote:

Correct! Well, correct apart from the two I have in my underground vault, yes.

There Are Four Lights!

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2020, 8:15 pm

EzraS wrote:
fluffysaurus wrote:
When you change presidents do you issue new notes with them on or do only previous (long dead) presidents go on your money?

ALERT: We interrupt this thread for an important national security alert. I have this evening uncovered the nefarious plot being orchestrated by Fluffy and her minions to undermine the entire US economy!

There I was in the store buying my discount meatloaf dinner, and as I left and looked at the change I received, what did I find but this counterfeit, masquerading as a dime! The plan is obvious: they are infiltrating these worthless tokens into our system, and then once all the American money has been replaced, they will expose the plan and all we have in our banks will be declared worthless. The whole global elite is controlling this at Fluffy's direction, I am sure. Wake up sheeple! 8O 8O

There Are Four Lights!

slave
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2020, 4:19 am

Darmok wrote:
EzraS wrote:
fluffysaurus wrote:

ALERT: We interrupt this thread for an important national security alert. I have this evening uncovered the nefarious plot being orchestrated by Fluffy and her minions to undermine the entire US economy!

There I was in the store buying my discount meatloaf dinner, and as I left and looked at the change I received, what did I find but this counterfeit, masquerading as a dime! The plan is obvious: they are infiltrating these worthless tokens into our system, and then once all the American money has been replaced, they will expose the plan and all we have in our banks will be declared worthless. The whole global elite is controlling this at Fluffy's direction, I am sure. Wake up sheeple! 8O 8O

Well played!
:lmao: :money:

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2020, 4:34 am

Went to a thrift shop yesterday, and some random dude asked me out of nowhere if I was interested in a Karl XI 1666 1/6 öre coin. So...that happened.

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2020, 4:41 pm

Darmok wrote:
EzraS wrote:

The underground vault with the Olympic sized swimming pool and collection of stuffed former enemies, or the one you keep your nuclear submarine in?

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2020, 4:48 pm

Darmok wrote:
EzraS wrote:
fluffysaurus wrote:

We're actually remonarchiseing you, one coin at a time.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2020, 4:53 pm

The most recent President on bills or coins is John F. Kennedy on the rarely used (these days) half dollar coin. These were introduced less than a year after he was assassinated.

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2020, 5:24 pm

fluffysaurus wrote:
Darmok wrote:
EzraS wrote:

The underground vault with the Olympic sized swimming pool and collection of stuffed former enemies, or the one you keep your nuclear submarine in?

No, no, not those — the other one.

There Are Four Lights!

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2020, 5:25 pm

fluffysaurus wrote:
Darmok wrote:
EzraS wrote:
fluffysaurus wrote:

We're actually remonarchiseing you, one coin at a time.

As long as you don't try to de-decimali(z/s)e us, I'm OK with that.

There Are Four Lights!

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2020, 5:48 pm

^We aren't up to all that anymore and are comfortably decimalized ourselves. It used to be (before my time) twenty shillings to a pound and twelve pence to each shilling so each pound had 240 pence. A guinea (to confuse things) was twenty one shillings, and then there's farthings, florins, and crowns to contend with.

It's nice we still have the penny; it's been around since the seventh century.

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2020, 5:51 pm

Darmok wrote:
fluffysaurus wrote:
Darmok wrote:
EzraS wrote:

No, no, not those — the other one.

8O Oh, that one, got ya.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2020, 8:11 pm

Was a farthing 1/4 of a penny?