What is the opposite of "Too good to be true"?

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

mharrington85
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

Joined: 7 Jan 2023
Age: 38
Gender: Male
Posts: 137

11 Jul 2023, 9:43 pm

Does anyone know what the opposite of "too good to be true" is?



Handa Rei
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

Joined: 22 Jan 2020
Gender: Male
Posts: 143
Location: UK

11 Jul 2023, 11:02 pm

Murphy's law?



Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2008
Age: 66
Gender: Male
Posts: 59,644
Location: Stendec

12 Jul 2023, 12:09 am

mharrington85 wrote:
Does anyone know what the opposite of "too good to be true" is?
Donald J. Trump


_________________
 
No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.


funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 27 Oct 2014
Age: 39
Gender: Non-binary
Posts: 24,571
Location: Right over your left shoulder

12 Jul 2023, 12:10 am

Too good to be false?
Too terrible to be true?
Too terrible to be false?


_________________
Never Again*.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う
*Note: Terms and conditions may apply. Offer not currently available to those living under Israeli occupation.


naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Aug 2010
Age: 69
Gender: Male
Posts: 33,803
Location: temperate zone

12 Jul 2023, 12:43 am

"It's parr for the course".



That would be the closest thing to the mirror image of "it's too good to be true".

It means "it sucks, but it's in character for the person/thing/situation you're talking about". That would be the mirror image of TGTBT which means "its sounds so good that it must be a scam".



Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 18 Jun 2012
Age: 59
Gender: Female
Posts: 20,443
Location: Aux Arcs

12 Jul 2023, 7:00 am

Too bad to believe?


_________________
I am the dust that dances in the light. - Rumi


naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Aug 2010
Age: 69
Gender: Male
Posts: 33,803
Location: temperate zone

12 Jul 2023, 7:40 am

naturalplastic wrote:
"It's parr for the course".



That would be the closest thing to the mirror image of "it's too good to be true".

It means "it sucks, but it's in character for the person/thing/situation you're talking about". That would be the mirror image of TGTBT which means "its sounds so good that it must be a scam".


It cut off the last few words of my post for some reason.



naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Aug 2010
Age: 69
Gender: Male
Posts: 33,803
Location: temperate zone

12 Jul 2023, 7:50 am

Why are you asking?

An "opposite" would have to be an (a) an actual extant expression that is frequently used- in order to be in the same category as "TGTBT" . No one ever says "its too bad to be true". And(b) it has to apply to real life in some way that mirrors "TGTBT".

If you are offered something thats seems to good to be true then...you have to beware that it may well be ...just that...not true.

So the opposite situation would be if you experience something bad...but hey...its something that you gotta expect.

So opposite expressions would be stuff that describes such situations, like "Its parr for the course", "them's the breaks", "thats life", and "s**t happens".



mharrington85
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

Joined: 7 Jan 2023
Age: 38
Gender: Male
Posts: 137

12 Jul 2023, 9:34 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Why are you asking?

An "opposite" would have to be an (a) an actual extant expression that is frequently used- in order to be in the same category as "TGTBT" . No one ever says "its too bad to be true". And(b) it has to apply to real life in some way that mirrors "TGTBT".

If you are offered something thats seems to good to be true then...you have to beware that it may well be ...just that...not true.

So the opposite situation would be if you experience something bad...but hey...its something that you gotta expect.

So opposite expressions would be stuff that describes such situations, like "Its parr for the course", "them's the breaks", "thats life", and "s**t happens".


"Too good to be true" means that you're suspicious because it seems better than you expect. I wanted to know if there was something where you're suspicious precisely because it's worse than you expect.



naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Aug 2010
Age: 69
Gender: Male
Posts: 33,803
Location: temperate zone

12 Jul 2023, 9:52 pm

mharrington85 wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
Why are you asking?

An "opposite" would have to be an (a) an actual extant expression that is frequently used- in order to be in the same category as "TGTBT" . No one ever says "its too bad to be true". And(b) it has to apply to real life in some way that mirrors "TGTBT".

If you are offered something thats seems to good to be true then...you have to beware that it may well be ...just that...not true.

So the opposite situation would be if you experience something bad...but hey...its something that you gotta expect.

So opposite expressions would be stuff that describes such situations, like "Its parr for the course", "them's the breaks", "thats life", and "s**t happens".


"Too good to be true" means that you're suspicious because it seems better than you expect. I wanted to know if there was something where you're suspicious precisely because it's worse than you expect.

I dont know of any such common expression.



IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 1 Nov 2017
Gender: Female
Posts: 67,986
Location: Chez Quis

12 Jul 2023, 9:54 pm

Handa Rei wrote:
Murphy's law?


I was going to say that earlier.



Recidivist
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Jan 2023
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,851
Location: He/him/his

12 Jul 2023, 10:06 pm

mharrington85 wrote:
I wanted to know if there was something where you're suspicious precisely because it's worse than you expect.


Buying something off Wish.com

Image


_________________
Another man's freedom fighter, one man's terrorist is - Yoda (probably)


naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Aug 2010
Age: 69
Gender: Male
Posts: 33,803
Location: temperate zone

12 Jul 2023, 10:19 pm

Well...that Jason mask in the advert had "too much quality to be true" (ie too good to be true).

Hitler invented the label for (though not the practice of using)"the big lie". He observed how if you tell folks small lies they wont believe you, but they will believe you if you tell a massive whopper...because the listeners will reason that no one would have the gall to make up something that outlandish so it must be true.

Like telling crowds that the "Jews are behind everything bad- including Germany's defeat in the last war" and like that. or "Joe Biden stole the election" and like that.

And said "big lies" are about imagined bad things having happened ...in order to instill fear in an electorate. So "the big lie" might be an example of something "being too bad to be true".



IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 1 Nov 2017
Gender: Female
Posts: 67,986
Location: Chez Quis

12 Jul 2023, 10:49 pm

Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.



IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 1 Nov 2017
Gender: Female
Posts: 67,986
Location: Chez Quis

12 Jul 2023, 10:58 pm

All that glisters is not gold.



naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Aug 2010
Age: 69
Gender: Male
Posts: 33,803
Location: temperate zone

13 Jul 2023, 4:17 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
All that glisters is not gold.


Thats not the opposite. Thats kinda the same thing as TGTBT.

Many old adages have an exact opposite old adage. Like "he who hesitates is lost", and "look before you leap". :lol:

But "too good to be true" doesnt seem to have an opposite equivalent.