Page 3 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Inesysis
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 Dec 2016, 4:31 pm

Well my country's disability benefit system seems to think I'm high functioning, but they would

In reality I'm about as functional as a chocolate baking tray. I can't even exist properly at the moment.

Medication: Quetiapine (Seroquel) IR 75-100mg

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2016, 4:56 pm

Yes I feel high functioning because I am. I can do chores, take care of myself, go to work and have a job and keep one, I have no problems with daily living. I don't need daily assistance or a caregiver. I can also pay bills. The only problems I have are procrastination and anxiety that get in the way and perhaps executive functioning.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Fraser_1990
Toucan
Toucan

15 Dec 2016, 5:29 pm

I'm like a computer. I need to be programmed to do something with a very specific set of instructions. Otherwise i'll either do something the programmer wasn't expecting, or nothing at all. That's how I "function".

schopenhauer with a keyboard
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Dec 2016, 3:27 am

EclecticWarrior wrote:
Mentally I'm VERY high functioning (IQ consistently measured in the 90th percentile, degree with top marks) but when it comes to lifeskills and independent living I'm quite low functioning. I'm learning, but very slowly. I'm scared I won't have learned anything by the time my mother dies and I HAVE to live on my own. I feel I'm capable of learning it but I'm sorta scared too.

i'm not sure about the IQ part as i've never been tested, but otherwise i totally get that.
there's two types of functioning that need to be differentiated i think.
when i am all alone i'll have no idea what i'll do, i wouldn't know where to start.
i don't drive, have no real skills to speak of, no friends/connections, no motivation, health problems, terrible anxiety, pretty much everything you WOULDN'T want if you were to be independent.
i would probably try my best to survive until i just gave up and became homeless or hung myself because i have nothing to live for.

LyraLuthTinu
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2016, 9:44 pm

I probably am, my IQ is pretty high, I did well academically, I'm actually holding down a job and I raised four kids who are reasonably well adjusted.

Plus I just got this result on a first impressions quiz:

"Our first impression of you? You’re a star! If life were like that story about the three bears, you’d be the one that was just right. You know how to navigate out of an awkward situation without hurting anyone’s feelings, and you can make friends wherever you go. You exude confidence without being cocky, and we think that’s awesome. Um, can we be friends?
You can handle almost any social situation with grace, even the tricky ones.
Strangers often find you charming and interesting. You are often remembered fondly.
Even if you’re not naturally outgoing, you can make conversation with anyone if you need to.
Whether you were born this way or had to work to get here, you are definitely charismatic.
You’re popular and well liked. People definitely look forward to being around you.
Your social connections bring you a full and rich life. You understand how important it is to make a lasting impression."

So I guess I know the right answers when it comes to what the social skills rules are. As much from studying though as anything else, I doubt if any of my answers were the same as if I'd follow my gut impulse instead of learned rules.

Also: just because I know what the rule is in a given social situation doesn't mean I actually follow it without a hitch when it actually comes up in real life. Sometimes I make a good first impression but by the fifth encounter usually people suss out that there's something odd about me...

Official diagnosis: Austism Spectrum Disorder Level One, without learning disability, without speech/language delay; Requiring Support