Does this happen to anyone else here?

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

atd321
Butterfly
Butterfly

01 Jul 2012, 5:07 am

I've noticed that I can feel empathy and actually be interested in socialization in the same way NTs are ( basically be an NT), it's just that my head hurts when I do it, probably because I don't use the right side of my brain very much and I also feel a bit sick. I was just wondering if anyone else can do this

Radiofixr
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2012, 8:19 am

I can feel for others and I do want to socialize and have companionship but I get anxious and uncomfortable-sometimes in the way you describe-I can feel for others I just so not know how to express it and have a difficult time resolving my own emotions at the time of others emotional expression-I get confused when I see another person crying-I have been told I am flat and don't care about others feelings-I do care-sometimes I have to understand my own first when they are churned up.

DonkeyBuster
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2012, 10:03 am

Yes, me too. There's so much data to process in a social situation, it's overwhelming. I get tired very quickly.

Senath
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Jul 2012, 10:30 am

Radiofixr wrote:
I can feel for others and I do want to socialize and have companionship but I get anxious and uncomfortable-sometimes in the way you describe-I can feel for others I just so not know how to express it and have a difficult time resolving my own emotions at the time of others emotional expression-I get confused when I see another person crying-I have been told I am flat and don't care about others feelings-I do care-sometimes I have to understand my own first when they are churned up.

If only we could put the world on pause at our leisure until we're done processing, interpreting, planning action, and executing gracefully in whatever situation is at hand...

atd321
Butterfly
Butterfly

01 Jul 2012, 10:31 am

I can socialize quite well, I can small talk and all that, i can act perfectly like an NT and not be stressed out. I just feel fake and I want that to stop, I want to feel emotional. I also do a lot of school play's and i want to feel what the character is feeling, it's just hard. I remember I was 8 and i was crying over a section in Northern lights because I empathized with her. I think I have really really mild AS and I'm wondering if there was any way i could strengthen this ability through meditation or pills or something, cause it would be really useful. I just really wanna connect to the world. btw I did this test online and it said i can read faces better than most, could this be because of therapy. It's really confusing cause I havent shown stereotypical symptoms of AS for a few years, I'm wondering if I was misdiagnosed for ADHD

atd321
Butterfly
Butterfly

01 Jul 2012, 10:32 am

* the ability of empathy and NT style of thinking

DonkeyBuster
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2012, 10:42 am

atd321 wrote:
I can socialize quite well, I can small talk and all that, i can act perfectly like an NT and not be stressed out. I just feel fake and I want that to stop, I want to feel emotional. I also do a lot of school play's and i want to feel what the character is feeling, it's just hard. I remember I was 8 and i was crying over a section in Northern lights because I empathized with her. I think I have really really mild AS and I'm wondering if there was any way i could strengthen this ability through meditation or pills or something, cause it would be really useful. I just really wanna connect to the world. btw I did this test online and it said i can read faces better than most, could this be because of therapy. It's really confusing cause I havent shown stereotypical symptoms of AS for a few years, I'm wondering if I was misdiagnosed for ADHD

My therapist told me that children often empathize w/& project personalities onto inanimate objects but that it is outgrown in NTs. Apparently it is retained much longer in AS, if it is ever outgrown at all. She also tells me everyone often feels fake. You may have AS traits, or may be misdiagnosed. Lack of emotional 'richness' could also be due to chronic depression, nutritional insufficiency, or childhood trauma. You might want to get re-evalutated to clear things up, so the correct condition can be appropriately addressed & you'll have a better chance of success.

I don't want to feel any more emotional than I already do. I'd like to not be so easily hurt by other's rudeness, lack of understanding, & personal attacks.

atd321
Butterfly
Butterfly

01 Jul 2012, 10:51 am

About AS traits, i've been told when I was younger that I didn't have eye contact that much and that I got therapy for it, I also used to go up to strangers who were eating something and ask if I could have it :P and I also didn't consider consequences that much. This was maybe around 5 or 7. I also touched a random woman's boob when I was 8 just to know what one felt like :P

DonkeyBuster
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2012, 7:01 pm

It's really not enough to tell. I'm not a psychologist or social worker, so I don't know what other kinds of minds might result in that kind of behavior. AS is up on everyone's radar right now & you could be AS, but I think there are other possibilities as well.