Why does interest wane after a day/sleeping?

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Mootoo
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2013, 11:24 am

For the last couple of years I noticed that IF I find something that sparks my interest at that moment (that's also somewhat rare these days, unfortunately) - from YouTube channels (many I've subscribed to but never returned to continue watching), to a game like iSketch, it lasts surely until I need to sleep, but in the morning it's virtually gone (usually I don't even immediately remember it). I've laughed quite a bit upon playing the latter game and bookmarked it, but I don't think I ever visited it again and only remembered about it in terms of "aw, why didn't I ever play it again even though I spent hours on it the first time?"

This wasn't at all the situation when I was in my early teens... in fact, it's a direct contrast. When my interest got grabbed by a video game - and by grabbed I mean I used to live in its world, until I completed it - every morning I used to have this rush of emotion to keep playing it, as if the sun will shine for a thousand more years, and I just kept at it for yet another day. When I was at school all I thought about was the video game, and you can imagine the first thing I'd do upon going back home.

Does anyone else know why this is? Anyone else noticed such a difference between interest waning in different periods of their lives?

CyclopsSummers
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2013, 11:32 am

Not necessarily after sleeping or the passing of the night. But I do find it more difficult than before to find the motivation to go through with certain activities that I started when the initial novelty of it has worn off.

Yes, as a teenager and child, I pursued my interests for hours on end, and then for several weeks usually (if it wasn't one of my permanent interests, like dinosaurs). Nowadays, in my 20s, I sometimes see my interest is sparked in certain topics, from literature to music or other things, but it's more difficult to grab hold of my motivation. I'm distracted a lot more easily, and I'll simply drop the new-found activity/interest, wander off, and forget about the whole thing.

I guess in my case it's an unwillingness to spend too much time on something, and wanting to jump from interest to interest instead.

TommyGun991
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

30 Mar 2013, 11:38 am

Well, I can certainly relate. In my teens, I would get so immersed in video games, for example, I was not in the slightest interested in things an average teenager was. Hell, sex didn't even cross my mind back then and seeing people making out used to weird me out to a point I couldn't look at it. Now that I'm 21, I've noticed a pattern in video games which makes them not fun. Go here, do that, level up, it's all repetitive. Nowadays, I can only play games when I develop some kind of grand scheme, for example, I will make an empire in the southeast Asia (grand strategy games), etc. or I will get immersed in an environment like in GTA games (I adore Vice City, I like playing it since I can imagine living in the 80s). So, yeah, in order to enjoy certain activities, I have to get pumped, establish a scenario in my head.

CyclopsSummers
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2013, 11:45 am

^That could also be a major factor: growing tired of things that are too simplistic/repetitive. That would explain why the OP can't keep his attention fixed on viewing Youtube vids or playing iSketch. Because they're more like a diversion rather than something that engages you.

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2013, 12:02 pm

Not really overnight, but in a fairly short time. In my case it might have something to do with a feeling of guilt. I often feel I should be doing something important/useful rather than just something that is interesting. That makes me feel guilty and feel I'm wasting my time, and eventually lose interest.