Is Dr. Spencer Reid (Criminal Minds) Supposed to be Aspie?

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

keeperdog
Butterfly
Butterfly

24 Jan 2014, 1:59 pm

This very high IQ character, a Ph. D. level criminal profiler, knows everything about everything, and will not hesitate to tell his fellow TV profilers all about it. The older characters sometimes cut him off (the character, played by the genetically gifted Matthew Grey Gubler, is supposed to be in his early twenties) and he goes away for a bit, but is soon back at it.

He speaks as though lecturing--professing. When romantic entanglements are proposed, his love interest is either a less-gifted NT or another genius, who to date has been a victim of one of the killers he profiles on TV.

I don't do this a lot--dx unreal people,or dead ones for that matter--but I do watch this show a lot. The Reid character is extraordinarily physically appealing. The actor succcessfully modelled for a while and is also a visual artist; I guess I watch this show, in reruns, to watch him. Oh, well: I have some cougar in me.

Thoughts? (I do realise that analysing TV characters might be considered a big fat waste of time.)

bumble
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2014, 2:03 pm

I find him incredibly attractive.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2014, 2:03 pm

I think so. I also find Dr. Spencer Reid eggstremely physically appealing and also eggstremely appealing in eberry way.

bumble
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2014, 2:05 pm

This could turn into a fancy fest over Mathew Grey Gubler.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2014, 3:37 pm

keeperdog wrote:
Is Dr. Spencer Reid (Criminal Minds) Supposed to be Aspie?

According to This Wikipedia Article on Dr. Reid's Personality:

Quote:
As is characteristic of people with Asperger's Syndrome, Reid is socially awkward. He often fixates on things (prompting Morgan and other team members to have to tell him to be quiet), and misses social cues at times (for example, unknowingly changing the subject of a conversation). The unknown subject in "Broken Mirror"[12] noted this, and Gubler stated in an interview in the show's second season "[Reid]'s an eccentric genius, with hints of schizophrenia and minor autism, Asperger's Syndrome. Reid is 30 years old with three Ph.D.s and one can not usually achieve that without some form of autism."[13] Writer Sharon Lee Watson stated in a twitter chat Reid's Asperger traits makes the character more lovable.[14]

[12] "Broken Mirror", season 1, episode 5
[13] "An Interview with Matthew Gray Gubler (Dr. Spencer Reid, Criminal Minds)". Retrieved 2010-09-26.
[14] "Full Transcript - Live Chat with Writer, Sharon Lee Watson and Line Producer, Harry Bring". Retrieved 2012-10-22.

The article further states that although Dr. Reid was originally envisioned to be like Data from Star Trek, they liked Matthew Gray Gubler's own interpretation better.

Marky9
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2014, 4:43 pm

The Dr. Reid character can be entertaining to watch.

FYI, Mr. Gubler can be fun to follow on Twitter (Gublernation). He posts lots of funny pics, and it is interesting to note how much in real life he differs from his Dr. Reid character.

franknfurter
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2014, 5:13 pm

I also find him very attractive :D I believe they were definitely leaning that way at the beginning but he has become less so as the programme has progressed. he is my favourite character