Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

JWS
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Aug 2014, 6:47 pm

Today I came to the sudden realization that my Synesthesia isn't just shapes and numbers, or shapes with feelings- it's also shapes with words!
I don't know how this realization eluded me for so long. But I suddenly realized the name of my female Boxer- mix dog wasn't right for her, because it wasn't shaped right! I had named her "Bitsie", thinking it was a cute name to give her. But then I realized "Bitsie" was too sharp a name for her. She's a bit more angular and rounded than that. I realized "Beth" was shaped right for her name in my "shape- world", so that's what I call her by, now. :-)
Anybody else ever suddenly realize anything like this, or similar to this? I just found it so fascinating to suddenly realize that my mind works this way, and just felt like saying "WOW!".
So, anyone else? :-D

Last edited by JWS on 14 Aug 2014, 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ImeldaJace
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2014, 8:50 pm

I absolutely love moments like that when a lightbulb suddenly goes on! I do that a lot when learning how my brain works, and especially when the realization has to do with understanding why I don't like/understand something. It's like the thrill of solving a long difficult and interesting math problem. :D

yellowtamarin
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2014, 8:54 pm

Sounds like the day I realised synaesthesia was a thing, and I had it. I wondered how I didn't realise before!

The sounds and words thing is normal to some extent (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bouba/kiki_effect) but I suppose it would be classified as synaesthesia if you have it in a more pronounced (no pun intended) way.

JWS
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Aug 2014, 9:01 pm

ImeldaJace, I love having those moments while learning, too! To have that light of "aha" illuminate makes you feel pretty good, though sometimes "why didn't I realize that sooner?" Haha! Great times, aren't they? :D
Makes it interesting, doesn't it, yellowtamarin? :-D Still have a lot to learn, I'd imagine. I know I do!

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2014, 9:04 pm

I'm curious, what shape does 'Silver Proteus' have? :P

JWS
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Aug 2014, 10:51 am

Great question, SilverProteus! In my mind's eye, your name is shaped like, well kinda like a long wedge, with the wider end have a LARGE S with a vertical mark through its' middle. It goes steadily and quickly down to a near point at the other. end. Don't ask me why, but that's how I see your name. :)
It shows your name, but definitely a bit oddly, in terms of reading it.

ImeldaJace
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2014, 8:18 pm

^^^ Sounds like it would make for some pretty epic word artwork :D

Marybird
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2014, 10:11 pm

JWS wrote:
Anybody else ever suddenly realize anything like this, or similar to this? I just found it so fascinating to suddenly realize that my mind works this way, and just felt like saying "WOW!".
So, anyone else? :-D

Yes!
When things you've experienced all your life seem so natural and normal, it's the only normal you know.

I don't have Synesthesia, but realizing things like motor stereotypies and sensory problems are actually weird and considered pathological.
It's like I've been walking around in a fog all my life feeling I was not as good as other people but not understanding how or why, not realizing how much I was stuck in my own little world.
But wow, I can see more clearly now how my mind works.
And even though it is something that is wrong with me, at the same time, I find it absolutely fascinating.

olympiadis
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2014, 10:59 pm

Now, every time I think about Synesthesia, I see animal crackers.

I'm trying to figure out a way to blend the animals into my spinning torus.

JWS
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Aug 2014, 1:14 pm

LOL@Olympiadis! That was cute! :lol:

Marybird, you gotta LOVE those moments when it's all suddenly CLEAR! :D When you realize something you experience is so unique, you can really jump for joy! :D

Imeldajace, I agree! I haven't really done any artwork in.....DECADES!.....but that was interesting, anyway! :)