residential home and high functioning

Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

mmcool
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2014, 2:23 pm

why do people on wp think residential is only for low functioning people?

As i live in one and this is not true(UK).

And it is different to what people say on wrongplanet.

PerfectlyDarkTails
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2014, 4:52 pm

Its maybe not just WP but society in general, many people do stereotype the more significantly intellectually disabled individuals requiring residential or other community social care.

But that's simply untrue and anyone on the ASD or other disibility spectrums are entitled to any social care, care assessment criteria is not just being unable to be able to care on ones own, but to even assist in getting someone reasonably independent if one so wishes.

AS 168/200, NT: 20/ 200, AQ=45 EQ=15, SQ=78, IQ=135

LokiofSassgard
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2014, 5:00 pm

I agree with the second poster. Odds are, I won't be able to live on my own once my parents are gone. I'm also considered to be on a more high functioning scale of autism as well. However, I also don't live in the UK. I still live with my parents and probably will until they get too old and feeble to care for someone with multiple disabilities. D:

qFox
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Sep 2014, 5:21 pm

Definitely not, I wish I could get in one if not for one or two years to get started.

Right now I have no money ( and they won't give me ssi ) to move out so I'm stuck living with my parents, it feels as if I am making zero progress to become independent. Once I am done with my study I would have to do everything at the same time: get a job, get an apartment, learn to live on my own, not getting into a complete social isolation, etc. It's just too much at the same time.

mmcool
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2014, 7:59 pm

Here in the UK it is done on a care needs assessment that decides the care funding level you get.

mmcool
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2014, 6:49 am

Please reply as l want to know what you guys think.

Charloz
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

21 Sep 2014, 8:06 am

Few people with Asperger's ALONE actually live in residential care, they usually have other issues at hand such as some form of retardation or physical deformities. The truly high functional ones who also have the physical strength and mobility to advance in life are able to have a place of their own and live independently, many are even married, have a job and a family. There's plenty who are less fortunate, have some bad luck in school and on the job market and are therefore unable to move out of their parents' house at the "normal" age. I myself am one of such people: my education messed up, I have been unable to find long term employment and as a result, have not yet achieved independence. I'd say that people with AS are quite late bloomers but eventually most will find a place of themselves and achieve independence.

mmcool
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2014, 12:05 pm

form of retardation? nope
physical deformities? nope i run all the time :)

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2014, 12:29 pm

Have your parents paid for you to be in such an establishment?

What are the other types of people who live there like?

What type of help do you need?

Why can you not live independently?

Is it a childrens home?

Are you on some kind of court order?

JoelFan
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2014, 1:47 pm

I was in one for a very short time after my mother died I was depressed and thought a change of venue away from my father whom at the time we were not getting along together would be Ideal I was depressed over the loss of my mother 7 months later the loss of a beloved pet well...in all honesty a friend whom helped made two transitions easier for me 1 adjusting from moving from Jersey to GA and 2. Childhood into adulthood and then shortly after that another death of a grandparent. I was out of a well paying job tensions in the house were getting bad so I signed up for a "residential housing" and a "day program" they put me in with two other adults whom were indeed lower functioning (one walked around totally naked) the other one would pace back and forth while talking with the cockroaches and yes there was a Roach infestation in the apartment. The day program wasn't any better once again I was with lower functioning people those with records I knew I was better then that and one of my "case worker" even told me I was much more higher functioning then those around me and this was before anybody really knew I had Autism.

They focused on medicating rather then helping what was really going on in my life and tried to nickle and dime me for "services" that were not provided I played along with their game until I get fed up and found another place to live.

But I would say community/residential housing (from what I have seen) would be for some lower functioning people whom are able to do very little on their own

mmcool
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2014, 1:59 pm

babybird wrote:
Have your parents paid for you to be in such an establishment?

What are the other types of people who live there like?

What type of help do you need?

Why can you not live independently?

Is it a childrens home?

Are you on some kind of court order?

Have your parents paid for you to be in such an establishment? Nope adult social services.
What are the other types of people who live there like? don't see more then like 4 of them.
What type of help do you need? Not much at all
Why can you not live independently? Was not given the choice
Is it a childrens home? No

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2014, 2:04 pm

^^And what about the final question?^^

mmcool
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2014, 5:16 pm

babybird wrote:
^^And what about the final question?^^

No court order at the moment.

mmcool
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2014, 6:50 am

JoelFan wrote:
I was in one for a very short time after my mother died I was depressed and thought a change of venue away from my father whom at the time we were not getting along together would be Ideal I was depressed over the loss of my mother 7 months later the loss of a beloved pet well...in all honesty a friend whom helped made two transitions easier for me 1 adjusting from moving from Jersey to GA and 2. Childhood into adulthood and then shortly after that another death of a grandparent. I was out of a well paying job tensions in the house were getting bad so I signed up for a "residential housing" and a "day program" they put me in with two other adults whom were indeed lower functioning (one walked around totally naked) the other one would pace back and forth while talking with the cockroaches and yes there was a Roach infestation in the apartment. The day program wasn't any better once again I was with lower functioning people those with records I knew I was better then that and one of my "case worker" even told me I was much more higher functioning then those around me and this was before anybody really knew I had Autism.

They focused on medicating rather then helping what was really going on in my life and tried to nickle and dime me for "services" that were not provided I played along with their game until I get fed up and found another place to live.

But I would say community/residential housing (from what I have seen) would be for some lower functioning people whom are able to do very little on their own

In this place they do care levels per person.
This place has people with all types of functioning.
They are 2 nearly fully independent living flats.
So is it different in the USA?

PerfectlyDarkTails
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2014, 6:01 pm

mmcool wrote:
JoelFan wrote:

What typical levels of care are there?
What other fuctioning have youve seen where you lived?
how many flats total and hat types of flats are there?

AS 168/200, NT: 20/ 200, AQ=45 EQ=15, SQ=78, IQ=135

mmcool
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2014, 6:06 pm

PerfectlyDarkTails wrote:
mmcool wrote:
JoelFan wrote:

What typical levels of care are there?
What other fuctioning have youve seen where you lived?
how many flats total and hat types of flats are there?

What typical levels of care are there? depends on the person as it done person to person basis.
What other fuctioning have youve seen where you lived? from non varble full care to almost fully independent.
how many flats total and hat types of flats are there? 14