Do people ever want to be your friend just because you're au

Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2014, 12:21 am

Do people ever want to be friends with you just because you're autistic or seem different?

Orangez
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Dec 2014, 1:06 am

I never ever had a friend in my life due to my inability to relate to people. As soon as anyone gets close to me I run away and disappear for a while until I am forgotten. I was always afraid of the exact opposite people becoming my friend for pity since I was different. Therefore, I don't let myself have friends because I hate to be pitied on. Thus, I respect people who don't want to be my friend due to my autism straight up because at least they are being honest about it.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2014, 1:11 am

It's possible. There are people who are fascinated by those who are "different."

Norny
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2014, 1:46 am

I am one of those people that wants to be friends with you because you're autistic.

Autism brings almost a guaranteed, broad set of qualities not frequently found within the general population. I have an autistic friend not because he is labelled autistic, but because of the qualities associated with autism (and the relevant differing life experience) that he possesses. It's just the same as other friends I may have: one friend may have a great sense of humour, another may have a grand scope of general knowledge, and along with those qualities a set of characteristics that I can appreciate.

I usually interact with my NT friends when it regards social/emotional aspects of my life (or theirs), and with my autistic friend for a similar reason I post here - I just find him interesting/stimulating to talk to. It's also nice to have a fresh perspective on some things.

Mr. Kortie appears to be on my case. I am fascinated by difference, because anything brain related is interesting to me.

Layla93
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Dec 2014, 1:51 am

I had it happen once on a site unrelated to autism or aspergers. I didn't mind. I don't think there is something wrong with me. I'm just weird lol.

Though for my self i find it interesting to talk to people that can relate to me or have interesting/different hobbies. Though i have run into people were it seems like we should get along fine for having the same issues but that hasn't worked out too well for me.

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2014, 2:57 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
It's possible. There are people who are fascinated by those who are "different."

I know those people. I think everyone is like that some degree. At least I am. I just hate that some people are more interested in me just because of one stupid label.

Why can't they go back to ignoring me? I'm the same boring person I was before they knew.

I really, really hate it when people draw attention to my differences.

Andrejake
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2014, 5:21 am

Well, i can't remember a time when a person knew (at least by me) that i was autistic and then, by curiosity, started talking to me. The ones that i'm sure that know that i am autistic have only heard that from me after we were at least more close.
But i believe it's possible. Actually I am someone that tends to find people more interesting when they have something that differs them from the "big mass" out there.

Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2014, 5:50 am

I like to surround myself with like-minded individuals, and I assume other autistic people do as well. It's always better to have friends I can relate to.

Zajie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2014, 6:05 am

I never tell people I'm autistic so I don't know if someone wanted to be my friend because of that, but sometimes people get intrested in me because I'm weird.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2014, 6:26 am

Yes, I have felt like a novelty item before.

However, I don't tell people about the Aspergers.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

05 Dec 2014, 7:11 am

Perhaps a few of the odd birds I was acquainted with back in school but certainly not now.

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2014, 7:28 am

becouse i am different maybe, but not becouse i am autistic.
i know that much for a fact, becouse i do not disclose to anyone that isn't a professional helper or a very good friend already...

agwood
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Dec 2014, 7:38 am

On the surface, people who want to be friends with one may seem normal, but I suspect they will have had hard times themselves throughout their lives, which has kinda forced them to be more accepting of people's shortcomings.

russiank12
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Dec 2014, 3:54 pm

I don't tell people I'm autistic until I get to know them very well, but I've never known anybody who has...?

Thanatos86
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Dec 2014, 6:02 pm

I get it all the time. I can actually see it in their eyes before they approach me. I don't know what exactly it is they see before they try to befriend me, but they always seem to gravitate towards me whenever they see me. I's' like they see a new species of human and want to play with it and see whta it does.

Eloa
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2014, 6:22 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:

I agree to that,
people told that to me,
but in the end it stays at that level
and they have their very real friends, but I am not among them.
They contact me when they can make use of my - how they call it - "special abilities" or "special talents".
But I am not among their real friends, they don't invite me to their home like they do with their real friends, and they tell me that they invite people to their home, but I do not get invited, or after one time no any longer.
The non-autistic people are their real friends.

English is not my native language, so I will very likely do mistakes in writing or understanding. My edits are due to corrections of mistakes, which I sometimes recognize just after submitting a text.