Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

glenglen
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

11 Apr 2015, 4:19 pm

Hi. I'm 44, diagnosed Apergers and suffering really badly with anxiety issues. This has always been an awful, awful problem for me but now I have had people close to me point out that my anxieties cause them a lot of stress. I tend to internalise & I did think that I had hid my constant turmoil to a certain extent but actually it must be quite obvious when any suggestion of social interaction/kind invites sends me into panic/avoid at all costs mode. Anyway I booked a doctors appointment to see about possible medication & then I saw a video by Tony Attwood whereby they are using heart monitor watches to enable people to see when their anxiety rises. Unfortunately I'm not in tune cognitively with my emotional state & can never predict a meltdown so this might be helpful. Any experiences? I really hope this is not a duplicate thread ... Anxiety rising ... : )

QuiversWhiskers
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2015, 7:08 am

Interesting. Never heard of those. I wonder if they could help a person distinguish between anxiety and restlessness.

Defies categorization. A mixed bag.

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2015, 7:24 pm

QuiversWhiskers wrote:
Interesting. Never heard of those. I wonder if they could help a person distinguish between anxiety and restlessness.

No, both of those would raise the heart rate. Restlessness generally leads to you moving around, and exercise increases your heart rate.

But if you're not active and your heart rate increases, it can be a sign of anxiety.

glenglen
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

14 Apr 2015, 3:19 am

Many, many thanks for your comments. I hadn't thought about the restlessness or the fact that I'm almost continuously active. Having said that I can look back & see times (a lot) when I've been rapidly heading up the anxiety ladder but not realised at the time so the watch may be helpful in those situations. I'm still researching : )