Do people move seats when you sit beside them?

Page 1 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

owenc
Raven
Raven

03 Nov 2016, 5:57 am

This happens to me constantly or at least enough to notice it. I don't think I smell or look untidy so i'm assuming that it's something to do with my gaze or something about me that is intimidating people. It seems to be more frequent with females e.g when I sit down in a lecture theatre beside a women occasionally she will move up a seat or on the odd occasion relocate to a totally different seat. It happens more frequently when I sit facing people, for example, this morning I was at a practical and there was a guy who edged up after about 5 minutes of awkward eye contact between me/him. It also happens the odd time in the gym when I am using a machine that is opposite another occupied machine.

Anyway... Does this happen with other people or is this just me/my imagination? It doesn't give me much confidence in myself.

Awkward
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

03 Nov 2016, 7:10 am

Yes sometimes. But lately I'm trying to act like a normal human being and lately I didn't experience this. It happens to me when I'm way too nervous or when they notice some retardness on me. If they notice my retardness and look at me too much, I become even worse and nervous.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2016, 7:15 am

No, it doesn't happen to me.

rowan_nichol
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2016, 7:21 am

I try to apply a rule based on what I observe in places like The Underground.

Public place eg train, underground, bus, theatre etc. People want their space and privacy, so I would sit in the next seating bay if free, or if the carriage was filling up more, leave a seat free between me and another person, and then when things have filled up so much that this is no longer possible , sit next to someone.

The word I have from women friends is that they feel a background wariness in public, not from anything personal from other persons, but as the sex which often has less physical strength or agressive instincts, the risk factors with unwanted attention or worse are increased, and as a result of this, feel much more comfoirtable having at least one empty seat between them and someone who is not anyone they know.

It feels intimidating if in a fairly empty carriage or theatre someone sits in the next seat. It looks as if the person has chosen to sit there in preference to all the empty seats, and as a precaution they may decide that the reason the person chose that seat is to be next to them nis to be next to them, and when it is someone they don't know, regardless of whatever that person is intending, it feels uncomfortable and a bit threatening.

liveandrew
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Nov 2016, 7:55 am

If at all possible, I never sit next to anyone.

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 46 of 200

Listener of all things noisy, viewer of all things bloody, writer of all things sh*t.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2016, 8:28 am

I'm never by myself, so whatever family I'm with act as a shield. However I do know people are put off by the weird looking/acting hooded fidgety mumbling kid. Can't say as I really blame them.

And I have heard of people purposely acting crazy, touched, whatever because they want people to leave them alone and switch seats etc.

owenc
Raven
Raven

03 Nov 2016, 8:51 am

When this happens to people, what gender is it mostly with?

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2016, 9:51 am

I notice people seem to do this when other seats open up and people just move to that empty seat where no one is sitting by. I at first thought this was some hidden rule so I asked about it online but got told it's not a rule they are doing, people just like their personal space so they will try and avoid sitting next to anyone they don't know if they can unless all the seats are taking with one one sitting next to them. Then when that opens up, they move there.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

TheSilentOne
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2016, 11:32 am

Yes. I don't understand why. However, I like sitting alone most of the time and if the seats are very close together, I get uncomfortable if somebody I don't know is next to me.

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2016, 12:51 pm

...Yes :-( :cry: .

My life destroyed by Thorazine and Mellaril - and rape - and the Psychiatric/Industrial Complex. SOB:-(! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

ArielsSong
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2016, 12:56 pm

liveandrew wrote:

This.

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2016, 4:27 pm

If possible, I tend to move seats when people I don't know sit beside me.

randomeu
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2016, 6:03 pm

yes, all the time, i find that okay though, as alot of the time people are a bit too vocal on this, i had many times in school where i had to share a book with someone or sit next to them only to hear them say rather clearly "oh god do i have to?" so at least the people who move arn't so direct, they are at least thinking of my feelings

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 174 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 30 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

Officially diagnosed 30th june 2017

north404
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

03 Nov 2016, 6:21 pm

Awkward wrote:
Yes sometimes. But lately I'm trying to act like a normal human being and lately I didn't experience this. It happens to me when I'm way too nervous or when they notice some retardness on me. If they notice my retardness and look at me too much, I become even worse and nervous.

How have you been "trying to act like a normal human being". Personally, whenever I try to force myself to do that, I just end up dissociating (because of how uncomfortable I feel trying to keep cool and act normal) and I look even more dumb lol

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2016, 10:14 pm

I'm usually the one moving to another seat. I don't like being too close to people who make me feel uneasy.

ReaperDan84

03 Nov 2016, 11:33 pm

liveandrew wrote:

This, I also have the added bonus of being large and relatively scary-looking to people who don't know me which means no random people sitting next to me on public transport unless they have no other choice and that's fine by me.

Lost my mind, God help the person that finds it