Does anyone feel more obsessive than the average autistic?

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

How obsessive do you think you are?
I’m not actually that obsessive 17%  17%  [ 2 ]
More obsessive than NTs are, but less than most autistic people 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
Maybe about average for an autistic person 33%  33%  [ 4 ]
Even more obsessive than the average autistic person 42%  42%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 12

BugsBunnyFan
Raven
Raven

05 Nov 2023, 2:45 am

I sure do and it sucks. It’s bad enough being more obsessive than the average NT. To make matters worse I feel even more obsessive than the average autistic person. I just get so jealous of all the autistic people who barely seem obsessed with anything. Maybe OCD or CPTSD explains why I’m more obsessive than the average autistic person. I think a lot of my obsessions have compulsive and hyper vigilant components and they’re often driven by anxiety.

I’m obsessed with how obsessive I am because I’ve been insulted about how obsessive I am for my whole life. So for my whole life I’ve tried to figure out how not to seem obsessive. I have pretty bad social anxiety because I feel like I’m too obsessive for anyone to ever like me.

I find the only thing that stops me from coming across as obsessive is making sure I’ve scripted the conversation well enough. I also have to make sure I’m engaged enough. I know I seem more obsessive around more quiet people. I guess I can also avoid coming across as obsessive by asking questions about the other person. That doesn’t come naturally to me either, so they have to be scripted questions as well.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2023, 2:59 am

even more autistic than most, I have to reign in my animal facts and such when meeting new people, they don't nessisarily want to be met with the first thing being...did you know spiders do this. spiders are cool want to come see them in action.....no one cares about freaking spiders when you invite them over for drinks. And they also don't care much for cat facts, they just want funny stories and hearing people mention their past embarassing moments like how they gave a big fart in public, and that kind of bs.

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2023, 8:19 pm

When I first joined this group I expected to find more people with strong special interests but I found very few. Another person said the same thing a few years ago and said they joined this group for the same reason but only found two others that did, me and someone by the name of CockneyRebel.

But I'm finding special intrests are not always that special to as autistic people. My ex boyfriend is autistic and one of the reasons we broke up was he found my ability to become complexly obsessed with a special interest kinda scary. I defiantly dodged a bullet with him.

Campingbare
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Nov 2023, 9:44 pm

I haven't compared notes with enough autistic people to know how obsessive the average autistic person is.

I know I can be pretty obsessive, but I have learned over the decades to try not to let it show if I can.

Meyer-Briggs: INTP Comorbidities: Narcolepsy, NPD, Alexithemia, Dyspraxia, Prosopagnosia, Anomia, IBS
........................If God meant for us to go around naked, we'd have been born that way........................