how do we all deal with aging, as spectrumites or otherwise

Page 1 of 5 [ 70 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next


how do we all deal with aging?
i just grin and bear it :| 24%  24%  [ 7 ]
i age gracefully :D 34%  34%  [ 10 ]
i dunno. :shrug: 24%  24%  [ 7 ]
where's my ice cream? :chef: 17%  17%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 29

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Feb 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 113,670
Location: the island of defective toy santas

23 Oct 2023, 5:23 pm

i wonder how y'all the rest of ya deal with aging. increased aches and pains and stiffness and reductions in capacity and facilities. i for one, prop myself up with nutraceuticals and electrical therapy designed to slow the aging process. my body limits me to walking, no more running or hard biking or even swimming laps for me as mr. arthur itis has invaded my articulating parts. aging for us spectrumites may have additional considerations compared to NTs. just my opinion.



blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 8 Jun 2011
Age: 35
Gender: Male
Posts: 15,028
Location: United Kingdom

23 Oct 2023, 6:17 pm

auntblabby wrote:
i wonder how y'all the rest of ya deal with aging. increased aches and pains and stiffness and reductions in capacity and facilities. i for one, prop myself up with nutraceuticals and electrical therapy designed to slow the aging process. my body limits me to walking, no more running or hard biking or even swimming laps for me as mr. arthur itis has invaded my articulating parts. aging for us spectrumites may have additional considerations compared to NTs. just my opinion.


People used to joke about how I was like an old man back in my twenties.

I tend to be a low activity person, so I don't think I'll have a huge adjustment issue when it comes to old(er) age.



Recidivist
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Jan 2023
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,851
Location: He/him/his

23 Oct 2023, 7:17 pm

Only my body feels like it's ageing , my mind is still a teenager.

I don't do anything at all to help the ageing process, although I did purchase my first pair of slippers today.

Additional considerations? No idea lol


_________________
Another man's freedom fighter, one man's terrorist is - Yoda (probably)


pcgoblin
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 11 Apr 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,566
Location: My House, US

23 Oct 2023, 7:30 pm

At 60 or 61, I had cataract surgery.
At 62, I had my left knee replaced. I was told there is no cartilage in my right need, but it seems to be doing okay.
At 63, last March, I had my gallbladder removed. They thought there might be cancer. It wasn't. Just full of gallstones. But my liver is very fatty, so there's promise there! :) ... :| ... :D (need to lose weight)

I am not worried about aging, or the last page of life. Okay, the blank page after the last page. I'm not worried about that. The only thing I worry about are my sons and who will handle my stuff. I feel bad for them.

People I worked with are getting old too. Obviously.

I feel bad about the pain and discomfort people have.

I do try to take of my legs. Mobility is important. Now that I'm retired, I exercise them to improve muscle strength and hopefully prolong my right knee's usefulness.



funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 27 Oct 2014
Age: 39
Gender: Non-binary
Posts: 25,428
Location: Right over your left shoulder

23 Oct 2023, 7:39 pm

I refuse to acknowledge it. Eventually I'll get hurt seriously, but until then I'm going to pretend like I'm still 12.

I'm not old until putting someone into the boards hurts me more than it hurts them. :mrgreen:


_________________
Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う


auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Feb 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 113,670
Location: the island of defective toy santas

23 Oct 2023, 9:43 pm

blitzkrieg wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
i wonder how y'all the rest of ya deal with aging. increased aches and pains and stiffness and reductions in capacity and facilities. i for one, prop myself up with nutraceuticals and electrical therapy designed to slow the aging process. my body limits me to walking, no more running or hard biking or even swimming laps for me as mr. arthur itis has invaded my articulating parts. aging for us spectrumites may have additional considerations compared to NTs. just my opinion.


People used to joke about how I was like an old man back in my twenties. I tend to be a low activity person, so I don't think I'll have a huge adjustment issue when it comes to old(er) age.

just to be on the safe side, i would not take that for granted, always be prepared.



auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Feb 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 113,670
Location: the island of defective toy santas

23 Oct 2023, 9:44 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
I refuse to acknowledge it. Eventually I'll get hurt seriously, but until then I'm going to pretend like I'm still 12. I'm not old until putting someone into the boards hurts me more than it hurts them. :mrgreen:

how do you know that "putting someone into the boards" is not prematurely aging you?



auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Feb 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 113,670
Location: the island of defective toy santas

23 Oct 2023, 9:45 pm

Recidivist wrote:
Only my body feels like it's ageing , my mind is still a teenager. I don't do anything at all to help the ageing process, although I did purchase my first pair of slippers today. Additional considerations? No idea lol

old age sneaks up on one. one day i found myself struggling to walk, with no warning whatsoever.



funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 27 Oct 2014
Age: 39
Gender: Non-binary
Posts: 25,428
Location: Right over your left shoulder

23 Oct 2023, 9:56 pm

auntblabby wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
I refuse to acknowledge it. Eventually I'll get hurt seriously, but until then I'm going to pretend like I'm still 12. I'm not old until putting someone into the boards hurts me more than it hurts them. :mrgreen:

how do you know that "putting someone into the boards" is not prematurely aging you?


I'm sure it's putting more stress on my joints, but it's maintaining the muscles that support those joints and improving my heart and breathing. Staying active is a trade-off, but a mostly beneficial one.

Plus, doing something that requires a higher than average fitness level is a strong motivation to maintain that fitness level. I'm not there yet but not liking the feeling of dying on my feet motivates me to try to improve my fitness every day.


_________________
Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う


auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Feb 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 113,670
Location: the island of defective toy santas

23 Oct 2023, 9:58 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
I refuse to acknowledge it. Eventually I'll get hurt seriously, but until then I'm going to pretend like I'm still 12. I'm not old until putting someone into the boards hurts me more than it hurts them. :mrgreen:

how do you know that "putting someone into the boards" is not prematurely aging you?


I'm sure it's putting more stress on my joints, but it's maintaining the muscles that support those joints and improving my heart and breathing. Staying active is a trade-off, but a mostly beneficial one.

Plus, doing something that requires a higher than average fitness level is a strong motivation to maintain that fitness level. I'm not there yet but not liking the feeling of dying on my feet motivates me to try to improve my fitness every day.

is this ice hockey? just curious. that would seem to burn a lotta calories and keep one slender. at high cost.



funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 27 Oct 2014
Age: 39
Gender: Non-binary
Posts: 25,428
Location: Right over your left shoulder

23 Oct 2023, 10:22 pm

auntblabby wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
I refuse to acknowledge it. Eventually I'll get hurt seriously, but until then I'm going to pretend like I'm still 12. I'm not old until putting someone into the boards hurts me more than it hurts them. :mrgreen:

how do you know that "putting someone into the boards" is not prematurely aging you?


I'm sure it's putting more stress on my joints, but it's maintaining the muscles that support those joints and improving my heart and breathing. Staying active is a trade-off, but a mostly beneficial one.

Plus, doing something that requires a higher than average fitness level is a strong motivation to maintain that fitness level. I'm not there yet but not liking the feeling of dying on my feet motivates me to try to improve my fitness every day.

is this ice hockey? just curious. that would seem to burn a lotta calories and keep one slender. at high cost.


Ball hockey, so ice hockey but trade the skating for running. We still do line changes though so it's a faster tempo than soccer. Three minutes or so feels like an eternity.


_________________
Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う


auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Feb 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 113,670
Location: the island of defective toy santas

23 Oct 2023, 10:23 pm

^^^wish i was still that fit. do your best to avoid mr. arthur itis, on pain of pain.



funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 27 Oct 2014
Age: 39
Gender: Non-binary
Posts: 25,428
Location: Right over your left shoulder

23 Oct 2023, 10:34 pm

auntblabby wrote:
^^^wish i was still that fit. do your best to avoid mr. arthur itis, on pain of pain.


I'm hoping it's easier to get and stay fit now rather than have to do it in a decade or two.

Also, I never got to play hockey as a kid, it's pretty much now or never. I'm one of the oldest on my team, thank god I didn't wait longer. :lol:


_________________
Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う


ImagineDragons
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

Joined: 29 Mar 2020
Age: 1963
Gender: Male
Posts: 150
Location: England

24 Oct 2023, 2:50 am

I still think and feel like a teenager - don’t think I’ll ever grow up and I don’t really want to .

It’s one of the few bonuses of being male

Imho



Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 31 Jul 2020
Age: 69
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,207
Location: U.S.A.         (Mid-Atlantic)

24 Oct 2023, 5:10 pm

"An old young man, will be a young old man." —Ben Franklin

That describes me well. At 68 my mind feels the same as when I was 8...I just have more to forget now.

But I do visit doctors more...

Image


_________________
When diagnosed I bought champagne!
I finally knew why people were strange.


auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Feb 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 113,670
Location: the island of defective toy santas

24 Oct 2023, 11:26 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
^^^wish i was still that fit. do your best to avoid mr. arthur itis, on pain of pain.


I'm hoping it's easier to get and stay fit now rather than have to do it in a decade or two.

Also, I never got to play hockey as a kid, it's pretty much now or never. I'm one of the oldest on my team, thank god I didn't wait longer. :lol:

ex-army so i was pretty fit all things considered. but age still knocked me for a loop in a way i was not prepared for.