Social phobia linked to autism and schizophrenia

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2017, 5:51 am

New Swinburne research shows that people who find social situations difficult tend to have similar brain responses to those with schizophrenia or autism.

The research, published in Psychiatry Research: Neuroimaging, found the areas of the brain that show increased response when exposed to unexpected speech sounds or ‘phonemes’ are associated with the processing of social information and linked with spectrum conditions such as autism or schizophrenia.

http://www.swinburne.edu.au/news/latest ... hrenia.php

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

11 Dec 2017, 6:26 am

Doesn't it simply mean that all the three conditions are associated with high anxiety?

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2017, 1:03 pm

Autism was diagnosed as Childhood Schizophrenia at one time so similarities have always been there.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2017, 1:14 pm

Some research suggests that, unlike Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD), social phobia or Avoidant Personality Disorder (APD), is usually seen as manifesting later in life (young adulthood). ASD manifests early in life (young children). This difference is one of the few distinctions between ASD and APD, and serves as a differential diagnosis to rule out one or the other suspected diagnosis.

Beyond that, I agree that ASD's is probably more involved with other diagnostic possibilities than the usual suspects.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)