Where do you go meeting people who....

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2008, 5:30 pm

Where do you go meeting people who appreciate someone who is not one of the herd, doesn't engage in hypocrisy and social games and politics, and has a critical attitude towards the "appropriate", "acceptable", etc.?

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2008, 5:32 pm

If you're religious, try a place of worship. If you have certain interests, try finding an outlet where there are people who have those same interests, etc.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2008, 6:14 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
If you're religious, try a place of worship. If you have certain interests, try finding an outlet where there are people who have those same interests, etc.

Mabe ou didn't read the question. :roll:

Brooks
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Jan 2008, 6:16 pm

Greentea wrote:
Where do you go meeting people who appreciate someone who is not one of the herd, doesn't engage in hypocrisy and social games and politics, and has a critical attitude towards the "appropriate", "acceptable", etc.?

Punk club.

I sometimes wonder how many of my old punk and psychobilly friends had AS. Looking back, I think that quite a few of them might have had it.

Aoife
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

07 Jan 2008, 8:46 pm

Anywhere where the rejects go. The Intellectual Fringe comes to mind. Wherever the homeless/unemployed/hippie/anarchist people hang out. Those aren't guarantees, but I think you'll find more acceptance with the people who are also seeking it out.

...[T]here's nothing in the world more unpredictable than people...logic and order don't really exist in human emotions.
--Jan Hartman

KristaMeth
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2008, 8:53 pm

Greentea wrote:

In my experience these are only chance happenings, and come only whenever they feel like it. Random kid you happened to talk to at school who you had no idea was so cool, random dude at a coffee shop, or some friend of a friend of a friend. I've just had to sit and wait patiently for these types of people. It's worth the wait though.

SeaBright
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2008, 8:57 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:

lol! Tim, buddy! Read her location...... 8) she asks, Not one of the herd, and you say church.. rolfmao! :wink:

I go into my heart and let it lead me or stall me. I've met many a fine intellect this way.

"I'm sorry Katya, my dear, but where we come from, your what's known as a pet; a not quite human novelty. It's why we brought you.... It's nothing to be ashamed of, my dear, but here you are and here you'll sit."

ButchCoolidge
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Jan 2008, 8:59 pm

I agree that it is part random, but I also agree that if you hang out at places where open-minded people (hippies, free thinking academics, etc.) tend to be, you will have better than average luck... it's still a crap shoot though. Most people are not open-minded or accepting, so keep that in mind if you find yourself striking out a lot. Stick with it, and you'll find good people eventually.

Belfast
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2008, 9:11 pm

Greentea wrote:

Maybe libraries ? Art galleries, independent businesses (bookstores, movie theater/rental places, etc.) ? The grocery store at 3 a.m. (when store is less busy)? Unusual places where (or times when) people (employees & customers) are allowed to show imperfection, personality & idiosyncrasies.

Of course, I can't be certain I'm this sort of person-but I'd say the problem is that we're each hiding out (more or less) in our own separate homes-so there isn't anywhere public to find introverted yet interactive people. I can't cope with being social in groups or surrounded by crowd & stay home most of the time. Seems one has to acquire necessary level of toughness/fakeness/hard shell to even go out in public & deal with strangers regularly, so the people who can't handle doing that aren't even visible-except online...

Though any place one goes, off or online, there's no guarantee the people there will have these behaviors/attitudes. Plus, there's no absolute unanimity amongst all individuals as to definition of these qualities (which you seek)-each person subjectively views these as present or absent in self or others.

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2008, 10:58 pm

Greentea wrote:

You do pick the hard ones. If you find it let me know. I do not think there would be any humans there.

I like you for what you are, but at best we can find facets of true being in others.

Outsider groups have even more rules of conformity.

Who_Am_I
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Location: My body is in Brisbane and my mind is in the gutter. :D

08 Jan 2008, 12:56 am

My uni campus was pretty good for those things.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2008, 3:19 pm

I've been looking for many years, no luck yet...