Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Ticker
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2007, 1:38 pm

When I was a kid and young adult I couldn't wait to grow older because I thought I would get more respect and be listened to for a change. But now that I am older, well okay almost 40, I find the younger generation has suddenly become the one in charge. And they scoff and do not respect anyone older. They laugh at our ideas. And the much older people over 60 view me as part of those dreaded young people and view me as evil. I think the natural order of Life has been turned upside down in the last 10 years. Basically anyone over 35 is now considered worthless in the US.

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2007, 2:16 pm

People who are at least 15 years older than you can remember the cautions not to trust anyone over 30 (back during the Viet Nam war days). Well, the people of that generation eventually modified their stance when they got to be over 30. It always happens.

The younger generation has grown up with computers, cell phones, and cable television. For them, the world was completely different from ours.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

10 Sep 2007, 2:43 pm

i blame consumerism and the hiphop factor. :)

squeezle
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

10 Sep 2007, 6:05 pm

i think it may just be a matter of our own perspective. the way i see it is that we are more able to recognize the pressures that other groups put on us, while it is much harder to see the pressures that we are putting on others.

all they way back through history, every generation thinks the next is damned - but people are still around. technology changes, but people are still people.

*cue Depeche Mode here*

itw
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

16 Sep 2007, 9:12 pm

I think for me, it's just part of my not fitting in. I'm either too old or too young.

Nambo
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2007, 7:22 pm

I blame Grange Hill,

So much on TV is telling kids they are the most important and not to have respect for stupid adults, we never had that in our day, in our day the role models where adults to which we aspired to, now its other kids.

Also kids today have so much money that a lot of advertising goes on pandering to young people in order to part them with thier money.
In our day we only had a sixpence, you couldnt go power crazy with that.

At school in our day, you went as far as you could in being naughty, but you had the worry of the cane to stop you going too far, nowadays, thanks to so called do-gooders, teachers are not allowed to even shout at the poor little monsters so of course they grow up to belive they have power over adults as nobody protects the teachers from them.

Stone them, that will put them in thier proper place.

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2007, 8:02 pm

The sad state of the empire has beome such that a citizen of rome can no longer kill his children for disobeying him. The bleeding hearts in the senate and these new fangled Christians have forsaken the old laws and gods and society suffers for it. Without the old ways, the children run amok, doing as they please.

While what I just wrote is pure allegory, it outlines how you are thinking. At one time in ancient Rome, a man had the legal right to kill his offspring. Obviously that isnt true anymore, so can we blame todays decadence on it?

No.

The hippies of the 60s had an ideology that they were going to force upon the world. They would make things all better! Economics and reality caused them to soften most of their stance; most of it was impractical. They were begrudgingly handed the reins of power by their parents generation, who said much the things you are say "this new fangled dancing is imoral and corupting the youth! woe to the world!"

and the hippies said it about you. They cursed the disease of heavy metal music, the carnality of madonna.

And you say it of todays youth, and so it goes.

Why does your memory suck?

faithfilly
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2007, 7:00 am

Fuzzy wrote:
...these new fangled Christians...

You can say this because most "Christians" today are not really Christians. Don't judge Christianity by people you see who call themselves Christians. Make such judgments only after you've lived as one...then you would be qualified to know such things as what I just said.

itw
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

21 Sep 2007, 8:51 am

faithfilly wrote:
Fuzzy wrote:

You can say this because most "Christians" today are not really Christians. Don't judge Christianity by people you see who call themselves Christians. Make such judgments only after you've lived as one...then you would be qualified to know such things as what I just said.

Right On!! !! !

BazzaMcKenzie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2007, 8:51 am

Ticker wrote:
When I was a kid and young adult I couldn't wait to grow older because I thought I would get more respect and be listened to for a change. But now that I am older, well okay almost 40, I find the younger generation has suddenly become the one in charge. And they scoff and do not respect anyone older. ...

That's because you should have made your first million about 10 years ago and should now be relaxing on a beach under a palm tree - lol

faithfilly
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2007, 9:41 am

BazzaMcKenzie wrote:
That's because you should have made your first million about 10 years ago and should now be relaxing on a beach under a palm tree - lol

May I add after that part of being under a palm tree, "without any of the younger crowd anywhere nearby?"

Ticker,
Imagine what it's like for those older than you. I think most of us in the upper years would agree that we are feeling more and more disrespect as we get older. Isn't that nice to look forward to?

Ticker
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2007, 12:41 pm

faithfilly wrote:

Ticker,
Imagine what it's like for those older than you. I think most of us in the upper years would agree that we are feeling more and more disrespect as we get older. Isn't that nice to look forward to?

I can imagine. I see older people shunned at work by the really young ones as if old age was the plague. And to think I am mourning today that one of the older ladies, 50-something, is quitting today to move to another town. I am pnly 38 and will be the second oldest person on my team. :(

I just love all the assumptions made by the youngsters at work that "you wouldn't know such and such band because you don't listen to that kind of music". Meanwhile I am listening to punk rock that would make even the youngsters blush. It's funny the assumptions the youngsters make of someone just 15 yrs older.

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2007, 8:37 pm

I am 42, and it seems all of the people who have accomplished something in life are younger than I am. I don't fit in with people of my own age group. My beliefs and interests are more in line with people of my parents' generation.

I think of how Roger Bannister accomplished great things very young. He broke the four minute mile and became a physician at age 25. He became a consultant neurologist at 33. Although I'm educated, I am not of world-class status in anything, and am not likely to ever be.

Don't get me wrong. I love my job, my family, my pets and being on my cat site. I just think my accomplishments could be greater if I stopped getting in my own way.

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2007, 3:19 pm

I've noticed this and it annoys me no end. When I was in Uni (back in the dark ages) we were routinely told "now when you graduate, and go to get a job doing X, you'll have to put in years and years to accomplish getting a good position." Let's say the field of advertising, we were told that with our degree in hand, we would toil for years before getting a job position where we could actually pitch an idea for an ad campaign.
NOWADAYS, they must grab these kids before they're half-way through Uni, and boy are the adverts a bunch of you-know-what!! ! I've never seen such (malarkey) ! ! And almost all the people in adverts are in their twenties!! ! BLIMEY!! ! HALLLOOOO, I purchase things too, ya know ! !!
Makes me angry, it does ....

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2007, 11:47 pm

faithfilly wrote:
Fuzzy wrote:

Read my post again. I didnt say anything about modern Christians. Nothing. I was speaking of the first Christians in ancient Rome, and how they were perceived as a bad influence.

Rjaye
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2007, 1:39 am

Boy, I relate to this...

I'm back in college at 46 with teens to twentysomethings, and I had such doubts about what I was doing. I have a year before I start my masters thanks to deadlines, and the classes I'm taking have these sixteen year olds in a special advanced program.

I finally wore myself out worrying, and told myself," I don't care." I did, but I decided to act like I didn't, which was kinda of like turning myself into a giant hyperactive gerbil, which is a stupid analogy, but it's how inane I felt.

Listening to some of the students was amazing. What are they teaching these youngin's? When the prof asked each of us for our name and what we hoped to do in the class, I said," Hi, I'm Rjaye, and I am here to raise the curve."

When I have the teacher laughing, it's total win.

I have to force myself to participate, but if I see one more kid rolling his eyes at the instructor, I'm gonna slap a bi....

Oh, god, I'm channeling my mother. Another problem with growing older.

Is that another thread?

Metta, Rjaye