3 or4 cups of coffee a day does you more good than harm

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2017, 4:41 am

Drinking moderate amounts of coffee – about three or four cups a day – is more likely to benefit our health than harm it, our latest research shows. This is important to know because around the world over two billion cups of coffee are consumed every day.

Earlier studies have suggested beneficial links between coffee drinking and liver disease. Our research group has an interest in liver conditions. As such, we had previously conducted two meta-analyses, one looking for links between coffee drinking and cirrhosis and another at coffee drinking and cancer of the liver. We found that there was a lower risk of both conditions in people who drank more coffee.

Most of the evidence, however, is from observational studies, which can only find probable associations but can’t prove cause and effect. To overcome these limitations, we plan to conduct a randomised controlled trial in patients with non-alcoholic fatty liver disease to see if coffee works as a treatment to reduce the risk of the disease progressing.

But before we can start giving coffee to patients, we needed to know whether coffee drinking had any recognised harms, so we decided to conduct an umbrella review to capture as much important information about coffee drinking and health as we could. Umbrella reviews combine previous meta-analyses and give a high level summary of research findings.

http://theconversation.com/three-or-fou ... ests-87870

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2017, 6:32 am

Well the only time I notice harm from coffee drinking is when I go an entire day without caffine and get pissed off, so I usually try and have a coffee/soda or energy drink in the morning.

Closet Genious
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2017, 10:04 am

I think coffee, like most other things, is perfectly fine in moderation. I would say 4 cups and beyond starts getting a bit much.

I drink 1 - 2 cups every morning, with added heavy cream. Easily my favorite beverage. :P

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2017, 5:11 pm

I like dark and brutal coffee with no cream or sugar...unless someone talks me into going to Starbucks, then it kind of masks the horrible taste of their coffee.