Page 5 of 45 [ 714 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 45  Next

Tamsin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Dec 2011, 10:52 pm

Does anybody have Hypomania? I heard about that today and that sounds more like what I experience.

lostmyself
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Dec 2011, 12:53 am

sunshower wrote:
If you have type 1 though and experience full blown mania though this technique probably won't work because you'll be more likely to be delusional also and have complete loss of any form of control. The only real way to treat mania is through medication or hospitalization.

I think against periods of hypomania though this technique can help. It definitely hasn't been successful 100% of the time, but sometimes it works quite well.

Well hypomanic stages are more common than full blown manic phases. full blown manic phases started an year ago. I lose control over my actions during an episode. I go on spending sprees and binge sprees. I have no idea why my self confidence is over inflated and I have no idea why I do somethings that I would never do. For e.g last semester at graduate school I chose to do the 7 toughest modules my school has to offer all in one semester when my confidence levels were unbelievably quite high. I had trouble managing so I had to drop out of some midway and ended up in depression by the end of the semester. Its like I know I can't do all the modules the school has to offer but I have this manic desire that I seem to not be able to control. I've not been taking meditation though I'm planning on going back to the psychotherapist.

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2011, 1:27 am

Tamsin wrote:
Does anybody have Hypomania? I heard about that today and that sounds more like what I experience.

I do. I sometimes just call it mania, though. Not sure why. :shrug:

lostmyself
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Dec 2011, 2:40 am

Tamsin wrote:

For me its more like mixed state. both euphoric and depressive thoughts run through most of the time.

wblastyn
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2011, 1:04 pm

I have periods where I feel full of energy, optimism, confident, etc. does this sound normal or hypo manic?

sunshower
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2011, 3:03 pm

wblastyn wrote:
I have periods where I feel full of energy, optimism, confident, etc. does this sound normal or hypo manic?

Depends on the degree to which you feel this way. When I am hypomanic I feel like nothing can stop me.

sunshower
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2011, 6:28 pm

I'm having trouble coping at the moment. I feel like I want to give up, and I also feel like I want to indulge in reckless self destructive behaviour. I have been considering creating a youtube video or two with some of the footage/photos on my computer, but it's very raw and some of it disturbing so I am still undecided.

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2011, 12:53 am

sunshower wrote:
I'm having trouble coping at the moment. I feel like I want to give up, and I also feel like I want to indulge in reckless self destructive behaviour. I have been considering creating a youtube video or two with some of the footage/photos on my computer, but it's very raw and some of it disturbing so I am still undecided.

I think you should.

*hugs* I have no advice but hope you feel better soon.

Sapphira
Butterfly
Butterfly

27 Dec 2011, 9:17 pm

Hal420 wrote:
Here I am. New to this world here, age 26, diagnosed with bipolar type I in 2004 and self-diagnosed Asperger one month ago. Asperger explained why my ADD treatment went so wrong and I had this bizarre social problems. I also have diagnosed general anxiety disorder and social phobia. Was searching for other autistic bipolar people. The natural bipolar people seem to exist on a different planet where I do not belong.

I just joined this site today to find out more about AS because I think a man I like might have it. Now I'm thinking maybe I do. Anyway, I was diagnosed bi-polar way back when I was 17. I'm over 40 now. Back then they called it manic-depression.

I had numerous hospitalizations, manic episodes, severe suicidal depression and attempts. I gave up drinking 12 years ago and joined AA and it turned me around, but relationships--both with men and women don't last and I'm alone a lot. I've had boyfriends but I always get totally obsessed and act out.

In what ways do you think bi-polar people without AS differ?

Anyway, glad to see there's a site like this.

Hal420
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

28 Dec 2011, 12:58 am

I think the combination of Asperger and Bipolar sucks! This is no fun at all. I also have ADD and anxiety disorder. Seems to be a hell of a mixture and it is! I also have to cope a lot of intolerances with drugs making it very difficult for me and my shrink to find the proper pills. I have been a mess since I came into puberty and still am. Maybe I'm now on the right path but I have to cope withdraw symptoms from seven years of wrong treatment meaning that I was swallowing antipsychotics to treat my bipolar disorder but they only made sleep 12-15 hours a day and I said nothing. Somehow I thought this is no problem. Then we started the stimulants again and I was able to identify the problem: you can't do nothing when you spent 12-15 hours in bed per day and then I told my psychiatrist. Since then we try to fix the problem but it became kinda complicated and nobody knows what to do. Right now I do have severe sleeping problems and there is nothing I can do against it. My box is full potent benzodiazepines but I would create just another problem. I am totally allergic to everything related to the Histamin-H1-Receptor so here we go. Seven years of consuming highly sedative antipsychotics have a price and then brain adapts slowly. I have to avoid mania at all cost. I use Lithium and Valproat to do that. For anxiety I take Pregabalin but since the antipsychotic withdraw it somehow lost it effect which totally destroys everything related to sleep. This is my mess right now. I know how to turn amphetamine salts into sleeping pills but I do not wanna go back there. Seems to be sick there and nobody knows the rules in this area.

Sapphira
Butterfly
Butterfly

28 Dec 2011, 9:51 am

Hal420 wrote:
I think the combination of Asperger and Bipolar sucks! This is no fun at all. I also have ADD and anxiety disorder. Seems to be a hell of a mixture and it is! I also have to cope a lot of intolerances with drugs making it very difficult for me and my shrink to find the proper pills. I have been a mess since I came into puberty and still am. Maybe I'm now on the right path but I have to cope withdraw symptoms from seven years of wrong treatment meaning that I was swallowing antipsychotics to treat my bipolar disorder but they only made sleep 12-15 hours a day and I said nothing. Somehow I thought this is no problem. Then we started the stimulants again and I was able to identify the problem: you can't do nothing when you spent 12-15 hours in bed per day and then I told my psychiatrist. Since then we try to fix the problem but it became kinda complicated and nobody knows what to do. Right now I do have severe sleeping problems and there is nothing I can do against it. My box is full potent benzodiazepines but I would create just another problem. I am totally allergic to everything related to the Histamin-H1-Receptor so here we go. Seven years of consuming highly sedative antipsychotics have a price and then brain adapts slowly. I have to avoid mania at all cost. I use Lithium and Valproat to do that. For anxiety I take Pregabalin but since the antipsychotic withdraw it somehow lost it effect which totally destroys everything related to sleep. This is my mess right now. I know how to turn amphetamine salts into sleeping pills but I do not wanna go back there. Seems to be sick there and nobody knows the rules in this area.

Not sleeping is such a problem. I had this shrink give me Ritalin a while back. I liked it because I lost weight! But, I couldn't sleep. So she prescribed Lunesta. I don't like taking sleeping meds. I hear you--I just can't have another manic attack--the last one could have lost me my job, apt., dog--life. It was awful.

I'm on Depakote. I started taking Wellbutrin for depression. Feel pretty stabilized.

I used to escape through sleep--not saying you did that--sounds like the drugs made you do it. I was on the wrong drugs way back--thorazine, stellazine--that was when I was in high school. I could barely function. Psychopharmacology has come a long way since then, so I hope you and your doctor find the right mix of drugs.

sunshower
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2011, 7:15 pm

Sapphira wrote:
Hal420 wrote:

Not sleeping is such a problem. I had this shrink give me Ritalin a while back. I liked it because I lost weight! But, I couldn't sleep. So she prescribed Lunesta. I don't like taking sleeping meds. I hear you--I just can't have another manic attack--the last one could have lost me my job, apt., dog--life. It was awful.

I'm on Depakote. I started taking Wellbutrin for depression. Feel pretty stabilized.

I used to escape through sleep--not saying you did that--sounds like the drugs made you do it. I was on the wrong drugs way back--thorazine, stellazine--that was when I was in high school. I could barely function. Psychopharmacology has come a long way since then, so I hope you and your doctor find the right mix of drugs.

I'm on Valproate (epilim) at the moment, which seems to be partially working but not enough as I still seem to be having swings. I'm an ultradian (ultra ultra rapid cycler) although I am type 2. I tried lithium but I had the same problem with complete exhaustion all the time where I was also sleeping 12-15 hours a day. I managed to go back to study a little part time, but the exhaustion was a huge hindrance, and I ended up having a massive crash anyway after only two months. I was diagnosed with Aspergers when I was 12 but I've only been diagnosed with bipolar this year. I'm still coming to grips with it all, and trying to learn as much about bipolar as I can.

I think bipolar/AS can be different because I think that bipolar episodes can actually exacerbate Aspergers symptoms, such as sensory overload, plus I think they are expressed differently. I think because AS is such logical/non-emotional thinking, the bipolar irrationality is less - like I still get all the urges and thoughts, but this other part of my brain (the Aspergers part) keeps saying that it's illogical and doesn't make sense. Of course, this is all conjecture on my part, I haven't met enough bipolar people yet, but from the ones I do know of I know that my symptom presentation is somewhat different.

sunshower
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2011, 7:18 pm

TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:
sunshower wrote:

I think you should.

*hugs* I have no advice but hope you feel better soon.

Haven't done anything with said footage yet, but I had my first go at making a video. :)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zTRB-0t28I[/youtube]

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2011, 7:47 pm

That's good, sunshower. :thumleft:

Angel_ryan
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2011, 9:32 pm

sunshower wrote:
I think bipolar/AS can be different because I think that bipolar episodes can actually exacerbate Aspergers symptoms, such as sensory overload, plus I think they are expressed differently. I think because AS is such logical/non-emotional thinking, the bipolar irrationality is less - like I still get all the urges and thoughts, but this other part of my brain (the Aspergers part) keeps saying that it's illogical and doesn't make sense. Of course, this is all conjecture on my part, I haven't met enough bipolar people yet, but from the ones I do know of I know that my symptom presentation is somewhat different.

I feel my AS actually tones down some of the BP. It's like having a devil and an angel on my shoulders. When I'm messed emotionally my AS has no say, but if I'm border line on the edge sometimes I can snap myself out of it. Like if I'm hypo manic and advancing in a special interest sometimes I can notice when I've gone too far exploring that personal interest and into the realm of a hypo/manic episode, and I start to pull back. It's like cutting yourself off at the bar, which is something I've had good practice with too. When I was younger I drank recklessly but not anymore, unlike normal people I know I can't afford to.

sunshower
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2011, 9:35 pm

Angel_ryan wrote:
sunshower wrote:

I feel my AS actually tones down some of the BP. It's like having a devil and an angel on my shoulders. When I'm messed emotionally my AS has no say, but if I'm border line on the edge sometimes I can snap myself out of it. Like if I'm hypo manic and advancing in a special interest sometimes I can notice when I've gone too far exploring that personal interest and into the realm of a hypo/manic episode, and I start to pull back. It's like cutting yourself off at the bar, which is something I've had good practice with too. When I was younger I drank recklessly but not anymore, unlike normal people I know I can't afford to.

Yes, it does feel a bit like that.