Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

SpottedMushroom
Raven
Raven

07 May 2021, 4:35 pm

I often feel like the way I present myself creates a lot of unnecessary tension with others, on top of being autistic. I feel like groups of queer folk would be more likely to "get" me. What do you all think? (Please don't say bars :lol: )

NaturalEntity
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2021, 3:02 pm

Forums like this one.

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2021, 7:25 pm

It mainly depends on what's available in your area and how out you are. Have you considered joining a hobby group?

I met other queer people through straight friends introducing me and LGBT individuals approaching me for coming out advice. Subtle pride pins are an option if you feel safe enough to use them. I went to a drag show once, but it wasn't my scene. Likewise with gay bars, they can be rather loud and I can understand why you don't want me to say bars. I remember a woman pulling me aside and telling me that I don't need to force myself to go out like that and that we could always go to a different scene.

Frankly it's hard to say, I think I actually met more LGBT people when I unintentionally ended up in a gaming group despite only being a casual gamer myself.

d057
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2021, 7:47 pm

It's very challenging to meet LGBTQ people. I wouldn't recommend hookup apps. There are some at my work. But, I currently work as a Parking Lot attendant at a very busy supermarket. There really isn't much time to mingle with people because we are expected to remain busy throughout the time we are on the clock.

rain_bells
Butterfly
Butterfly

29 May 2023, 10:52 am

Sometimes, other queer people randomly approach me in a mall. I don’t know why but they do. The gaming group suggestion is really good though, I once joined a Humans V Zombies club and ended up finding a huge group of people who were queer. They were all people who like gaming. I think the best thing to do is explore different groups. It doesn’t always work but sometimes it really does.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2023, 9:28 pm

If you live near a major city, see if there's an LGBT+ Community Center, or something similar, in your nearest city. LGBT+ Community Centers host lots of different kinds of groups and are a good alternative to the gay bar scene. To find the nearest one, see CenterLink LGBT Community Center Member Directory, or google "LGBT Community Center" together with the name of your nearest city.

Ethan Rob
Butterfly
Butterfly

09 Oct 2023, 3:43 am

There are many ways to meet other lesbians, both online and offline.

Online dating sites and apps: There are many dating platforms that cater specifically to lesbian, bisexual, and queer women, such as Lex, #Open, Her, PinkCupid, eHarmony, BiCupid, Zoosk, and Zoe. These apps can help you find potential matches, friends, or community based on your preferences and location. You can also use general dating sites like OkCupid or Tinder and filter your search by gender and orientation.

Social media and chat websites: You can also use social media platforms like Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, or Reddit to connect with other lesbians who share your interests or hobbies. You can follow hashtags, join groups, or participate in discussions that are relevant to your identity or culture. You can also use lesbian chat websites like LesbianPersonals or Chat Avenue to chat with other queer women online.

LGBTQ+ community events and spaces: If you prefer to meet people in person, you can look for LGBTQ+ community events and spaces in your area. You can use websites like meetup.com or lgbtcenters.org to find local groups, organizations, or centers that organize social activities, support groups, workshops, or festivals for LGBTQ+ people. You can also visit lesbian bars, clubs, cafes, bookstores, or art galleries if there are any in your city.

Concerts and music festivals: Another way to meet other lesbians is to attend concerts and music festivals that feature queer artists or performers. You can check out websites like afterellen.com or autostraddle.com to find out about upcoming shows or events that cater to the LGBTQ+ audience. You can also use apps like Bandsintown or Songkick to discover new music and follow your favorite artists.

GreenVelvetWorm
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Oct 2023, 7:45 am

In my experience- art school and kink communities

Those are pretty specific, but I think a lot of "alt" spaces tend to have a good proportion of lgbtq people

Purplegirl23
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

19 Oct 2023, 8:35 pm

I live in Florida and feel nervous about putting myself out there. Especially the way things are right now. any advice?