best way to make friends in a small town?

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

angelofdarkness
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 May 2018, 6:12 pm

does anyone have any tips for a more introverted person to make new friends in a small town? there really ain't many clubs or classes here that I could take, so I don't really think of that as a option too much. I also am kind of tight on funds and can't drive anywhere, since i don't have my license or can afford it. I can take the bus, up to a nearby town but that's about all.

MrBob
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 May 2018, 10:34 am

I guess the best way might be neighbours or friends of friends... i am very introverted, but i find having something to give me an excuse to do something helps... e.g. Bake bread and pop round the neighbours and say "oh i got some spare bread as i made too much" or some lame excuse like that! :)

If you got a local pub you could pop in there.. scary as hell to do on your own, maybe if you got some one else to go in with you.

My biggest revelation in my early 30s was that other people are similar to me and think and want similar things... i think we all crave some sort of attention. Sure it wont work on everyone and not everyone wants to talk, but if you say "hello" to some one, unless they are rude, they will say "hello" back... from there you just pick random topic "i like your shoes, where did you get them!" ... thats another thing, people love to talk about them selves (case in point my story below this)

People on checkouts/tills in shops are usually good friend fodder, the only "stranger" i ever made friends with was a waitress in a pub, who then started working in the shop across the road, every time i go to her till we have a chat...I have never gone beyond that as i dont really want more from that friendship or for her to get the wrong idea... all i did to start the sort of friendship was to just talk to her ... when i was a bit drunk mind :)

Good luck with it :)