Page 1 of 5 [ 66 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

jc6chan
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2010, 3:23 pm

Just because they don't show feelings of pain nor do they have nerve cells how are we so sure? Maybe they have another way to receive touch sensory signals. What if a tree is in constant pain after you "amputate" its branch? Or are we, as humans, not going to be concerned about it so long as there is no biological evidence that plants feel pain. I guess that would be my own best answer too.

Master_Pedant
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2010, 3:30 pm

I'm about as worried about plants having some non-neural means of feeling pain as I am that air particles I displace while walking have some non-neural means of feeling pain. That is to say, less then 100% sure but way over 99.999% sure. I base my life on the premise air particles, the hardwood table I'm resting my elbows on, and trees don't feel pain.

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2010, 5:50 pm

I'm no biologist, but I think that, in order to process pain and sentience, one needs to have a brain, of which plants are lacking.

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2010, 6:36 pm

I asked a plant how it was feeling and it told me to piss off, it was busy pollinating.

jc6chan
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2010, 9:11 pm

This would be a good question for vegans. If the common assumption is proven wrong, they are SCREWED.

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2010, 9:17 pm

jc6chan wrote:
This would be a good question for vegans. If the common assumption is proven wrong, they are SCREWED.

There are reasons for veganism beyond animal rights, you know.

Pistonhead
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2010, 9:19 pm

Has anyone seen the episode of Mythbusters where they yell at plants?

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2010, 9:39 pm

Pistonhead wrote:
Has anyone seen the episode of Mythbusters where they yell at plants?

In general I agree that it is unlikely plants have feelings in the same manner as animals with nervous systems but it is without doubt that plants are aware to a degree of their surroundings and communicate in some way to both their relatives and to predators. All life exists in a flux of various responses to environments and plants are undoubtedly alive.

Wombat
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2010, 11:13 pm

This was a big question back in the 1970's.
A famous book was "The Secret Life of Plants"

There were a lot of experiments at the time, many from Russia where they did things like getting a "faith healer" to "charge up" water and using it on some plants but not the control batch.

Anyway, a lot of scientists concluded that plants were sensitive to what was going on around them.

True? Not true? I don't know. The subject has gone out of fashion since then.

danandlouie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2010, 11:48 pm

so the concept of gaia is just nonsense? i really hope plants do not feel pain and are not self aware. i am not that certain.

my experiences allow me to KNOW there is something after brain death. doctors have laughed at me, but what happened......happened. has nothing to do with religious matters.

louie the wonder dog showed me something impossible in a cemetery. so unsettling that i will not allow the gov't to bury me. i will have to take care of just vanishing, myself. if anyone listened to me (fat chance) i would tell them...do not let yourself be buried.

do i sound like a lunatic to you?.........ok., bad example.....do i seem like i've slipped a few gears? ok, that's not quite right either.

i'm way older than most of you and it becomes apparent to me, day after day, that i know so little about philosophical matters and...well, everything that it is now comical.

Wombat
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2010, 12:11 am

danandlouie wrote:
so the concept of gaia is just nonsense? i really hope plants do not feel pain and are not self aware. i am not that certain.

my experiences allow me to KNOW there is something after brain death. doctors have laughed at me, but what happened......happened. has nothing to do with religious matters.

louie the wonder dog showed me something impossible in a cemetery. so unsettling that i will not allow the gov't to bury me. i will have to take care of just vanishing, myself. if anyone listened to me (fat chance) i would tell them...do not let yourself be buried.

do i sound like a lunatic to you?.........ok., bad example.....do i seem like i've slipped a few gears? ok, that's not quite right either.

i'm way older than most of you and it becomes apparent to me, day after day, that i know so little about philosophical matters and...well, everything that it is now comical.

No, you aren't crazy. I have had several impressive "out of body" experiences and enough "psychic" experiences to make me believe that the "self" is not the body.

Of course I could be crazy too.

Asmodeus
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2010, 4:03 am

Descartes wrote:
I'm no biologist, but I think that, in order to process pain and sentience, one needs to have a brain, of which plants are lacking.

Clearly you have not met PETA.

takemitsu
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2010, 10:56 am

danandlouie wrote:

What if you put in your will that you wish to have sulfuric acid dumped inside the casket before burial?

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2010, 6:33 pm

What would be the evolutionary benefits for plants to feel pain?

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2010, 7:19 pm

greenblue wrote:

Maybe when humans finally figure it out they would stop eating them?

Ancalagon
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2010, 9:25 pm

wavefreak58 wrote:
greenblue wrote:

Maybe when humans finally figure it out they would stop eating them?

That wouldn't benefit them in terms of evolution. When people eat plants, they tend to plant a lot of the ones that they eat; given the dominance of the human species on this planet, being tasty is a big advantage for a plant.