Getting the fullness of your interest found out

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 10 May 2005
Age: 35
Gender: Female
Posts: 7,343

05 Mar 2014, 11:13 pm

For many of my interests, I am terrified of having the extent of my interest discovered. If I reveal the fullness of that extent to someone and the person's response is anything less than approving, I will assume the worst. I will then regret my stupid decision to reveal my innermost thoughts, to make myself vulnerable. In certain contexts, I will fear, or even experience, someone trying to drive me from that interest, the intrusive mf'ers! I will become wracked with shame and a sense of the future becoming blocked, that my actions will be restricted from here on out, that I will be brought into line, that I will have that which makes my soul burn alive with flame extinguished.


_________________
"You have a responsibility to consider all sides of a problem and a responsibility to make a judgment and a responsibility to care for all involved." --Ian Danskin


naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Aug 2010
Age: 65
Gender: Male
Posts: 22,369
Location: temperate zone

06 Mar 2014, 12:14 am

Is it the nature of the subject that youre interested in that youre ashamed of?

Or is it the degree of interest in the thing that youre ashamed of?

Or some oombination of both?

Are you into reading about necrophilia, or something?

Or are you like that young person on WP who came out of the closet by confessing to us that that for his whole young life had a repressed longing to ( gasp! how depraved can you get?!)....learn to play the accordion!

I guess his siblings were all into hip-hop, and he thought liking the accordion was some kind of mental illness.



DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 3 Jul 2010
Age: 23
Gender: Female
Posts: 3,083
Location: Canada

06 Mar 2014, 12:54 am

naturalplastic wrote:
Or are you like that young person on WP who came out of the closet by confessing to us that that for his whole young life had a repressed longing to ( gasp! how depraved can you get?!)....learn to play the accordion!

I guess his siblings were all into hip-hop, and he thought liking the accordion was some kind of mental illness.

LOL, I can't believe people still remember that post.


_________________
Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 82 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 124 of 200
You are very likely neurotypical


Sethno
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 23 Nov 2012
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,078
Location: computer or tablet

06 Mar 2014, 12:54 pm

beneficii wrote:
For many of my interests, I am terrified of having the extent of my interest discovered. If I reveal the fullness of that extent to someone and the person's response is anything less than approving, I will assume the worst. I will then regret my stupid decision to reveal my innermost thoughts, to make myself vulnerable. In certain contexts, I will fear, or even experience, someone trying to drive me from that interest, the intrusive mf'ers! I will become wracked with shame and a sense of the future becoming blocked, that my actions will be restricted from here on out, that I will be brought into line, that I will have that which makes my soul burn alive with flame extinguished.


Welcome to life.

Nobody knows how another person will react to something you're interested in.

Such revelations can help strengthen a relationship, or even end one.

What concerns me is that you anticipate people rejecting you because of the things you're interested in.

What is it that so worries you?

Do you like to set fire to cats?

Do you like to run thru neighborhoods at night throwing rocks thru people's windows?

Do you take candy from babies?

Without knowing exactly what your worry is, it's hard for us to reply.


_________________
AQ 31
Your Aspie score: 100 of 200 / Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 101 of 200
You seem to have both Aspie and neurotypical traits

What would these results mean? Been told here I must be a "half pint".


Zincubus
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 May 2007
Age: 119
Gender: Male
Posts: 621

06 Mar 2014, 5:53 pm

I presumed he meant he was worried about what people would think oh him if they knew the "extent' of his interests ...... his obsessiveness so to speak

My obsessions include music / football / snakes ....... Now the first two are completely acceptable as so many other people share the interest but when some people find out that I keep snakes they are either amazed and intrigued OR are completely disinterested and disgusted !



Ashariel
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 16 Jun 2012
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,779
Location: US

06 Mar 2014, 6:07 pm

Haha, I used to play the accordion as a kid – it was great fun!

My current special interest is so weird, everyone thinks I'm nuts. But I don't care, I love it. :P



Zincubus
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 May 2007
Age: 119
Gender: Male
Posts: 621

06 Mar 2014, 7:37 pm

Ashariel wrote:
Haha, I used to play the accordion as a kid – it was great fun!

My current special interest is so weird, everyone thinks I'm nuts. But I don't care, I love it. :P



You must tell !

:)



Ashariel
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 16 Jun 2012
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,779
Location: US

06 Mar 2014, 8:14 pm

Zincubus wrote:
You must tell ! :)

Heh... Celtic Reconstruction Paganism (Venedotian tradition). Weird enough for you? :P

Come on, somebody has to be weirder than me...



naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Aug 2010
Age: 65
Gender: Male
Posts: 22,369
Location: temperate zone

06 Mar 2014, 9:00 pm

Ashariel wrote:
Zincubus wrote:
You must tell ! :)

Heh... Celtic Reconstruction Paganism (Venedotian tradition). Weird enough for you? :P

Come on, somebody has to be weirder than me...


Your basic aspie special interest.


Kinda cool actually.

There was a cool site I stumbled upon a couple years ago illustrated with pics of the Celtic Gods of the British Isles, and of the Gauls of France. Their gods were as interesting as those of Olympus, or of Valhalla, but dont get as much attention as either the GrecoRoman, or the Germanic gods for some reason.