do autistic people remember their early childhood?

Page 2 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

how far does your memory go?
my memory is like most people 22%  22%  [ 13 ]
i remember earlier than most people would 78%  78%  [ 45 ]
Total votes : 58

Lukecash12
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2014, 3:37 pm

I couldn't give either answer to the poll, because I have very little memory of my childhood. My memories only become clear from about 9-10 on. So my siblings talk all the time about things I used to do and say, and I'm just clueless. It's strange.

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2014, 3:58 pm

Halfmadgenius wrote:
I remember almost drowning when I was 3. We were in the pool and dad set me on a step and walked away to my brother in his floating tube. I stepped off the step for some reason. The last thing I remember is bobbing in the water as my dad walked away.

I have a very clear memory of being at an outdoor pool at 3 years of age. I was with my father and brother and my older brother was in the 'big kid' pool while I was in the kiddie pool. Since I was quite tall, I could never really submerse myself and show off what a good swimmer I was. I decided when dad wasn't looking to go into the shallow end of the big kid pool and see if I could swim around the shallow end. Well, let's just say I sunk like a stone and remember thinking "oh dear, how am I going to get out of this?" After about 30 seconds my brother alertly pulled me out in a panic and I couldn't figure out why. After all, I was a "good" swimmer and would have figured it out. I can still remember it was a sunny day about 25C out, which was hot where I grew up as a child and how cold the big kid water was compared to the kiddy pool. I checked out the pool and my memory was nearly 100% accurate (and the pool desperately needs maintenace too :lol:)

So, to answer the OPs question, yes I have very clear memories from 3 onward and some unverifiable ones from as early as 6 months If that 6 month memory is true (and all evidence points to yes) it was the most incredible feeling in the world, like I was in Heaven and have never experience such overwhelming joy before. No wonder babies smile so much! I also had what I suspect were memories of a past life in the 60s and 70s but nothing can conclusively prove or disprove it.

ouroborosUK wrote:
Maybe autistic memory somehow works differently. Some autistic people have eidetic or photographic memory, and more generally seeing details more easily than the global picture and having different socialization processes certainly change things.

I wonder that too. Many (all?) the people I know will swear up and down that for example a store or restaurant opened in 19XX while I will tell them "no, it was actually December 7, 1987 at 11am". Every single time I can research it I have been correct, without exception! People must assume I just look it up: they can't believe I can literally remember details like that just like they happened yesterday. Note to any NTs reading this: having such a photographic memory is a TERRIBLE thing overall though because you can NEVER forget the bad things done to you in the past no matter how hard you try!

FishStickNick
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2014, 1:40 am

I read something on this topic a few months ago, actually:

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/asp ... and-autism

I am always startled by how little my siblings remember of their early childhood, especially since I can remember all sorts of things back to age 2 or so. I remember the lime green Volvo station wagon and its brown-and-tan interior, for example. My parents traded that car in a couple months before my third birthday.

Marybird
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2014, 2:21 am

FishStickNick wrote:
I read something on this topic a few months ago, actually:

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/asp ... and-autism

I am always startled by how little my siblings remember of their early childhood, especially since I can remember all sorts of things back to age 2 or so. I remember the lime green Volvo station wagon and its brown-and-tan interior, for example. My parents traded that car in a couple months before my third birthday.

this is an excerpt from the link you posted.
Quote:
Why are early memories so sparse among neurotypical individuals? Dr. Clark speculates: “One possible explanation of the sparsity of early recollections is that they are purposeful for an individual, and a high number of the memories might obscure their clarity and essential focus.” In other words, the small amount of memories form a sense-making message can become the basis of our beliefs about ourselves and about life.

If that’s true, then what do my differences mean? Does the fact that I have so many memories somehow undermine my ability to make sense of my beliefs about life? Does the fact that there are so many of them mean that they are not purposeful? I’m not sure about that...

We cannot make sense of our beliefs about life because we have too many early memories? 8O
This is a lame attempt to pathologize something that we can do and they can't.