Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

JoelFan
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 May 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 599
Location: In a nerotypical world.

18 Jan 2016, 1:59 pm

Hey Gang,

It's been a long time since I've posted on here as some may recall I was having issues getting any type of help when I was taking prep classes and "vocational rehab" wasn't going anywhere either.

I left the college I was going to and sought out a tutor at a local Autism Center whom works 1:1 with those whom are on the spectrum needless to say I'm starting to advance more so then when I was in the college setting my tutor is able to put things into context for which I can understand, as for Vocational rehab and the so called "job placement specialist" both were fired by me it turns out they were nothing but cheerleaders and the job placement guy didn't get that I wasn't looking for a customer service job or a warehouse job and that my talents and knowledge lay elsewhere.

Also, my tutor is looking to see what jobs I can get into besides consumer/retail and we are exploring jobs in the broadcast/media field as well as a para-pro being that I know about Autism (as I live with it) so that I can help kids in class that are on the spectrum so they don't end up like be being passed down or teamed up with someone whom doesn't care or otherwise are indifferent to their needs.

On a more personal level I've decided to devote my evenings to working out at the gym & am also looking at different Autism/Aspergers groups to join maybe somewhere I can fit in. Finally I started taking Zoloft for anxiety issues that I have which seams to be working out well for me and in addition I'm taking Melatonin in conjunction with my normal sleeping medication to help lull me to sleep.

So that's where things stand as of now.


_________________
"I really wish I was less of a thinking man and more of a fool not afraid of rejection." ~ Billy Joel


Last edited by JoelFan on 18 Jan 2016, 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zkydz
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 7 Nov 2015
Age: 60
Posts: 3,215
Location: USA

18 Jan 2016, 2:19 pm

JoelFan wrote:
Hey Gang,

It's been a long time since I've posted on here as some may recall I was having issues getting any type of help when I was taking prep classes and "vocational rehab" wasn't going anywhere either.

I left the college I was going to and sought out a tutor at a local Autism Center whom works 1:1 with those whom are on the spectrum needless to say I'm starting to advance more so then when I was in the college setting my tutor is able to put things into context for which I can understand, as for Vocational rehab and the so called "job placement specialist" both were fired by me it turns out they were nothing but cheerleaders and the job placement guy didn't get that I wasn't looking for a customer service job or a warehouse job and that my talents and knowledge lay elsewhere.

Also, my tutor is looking to see what jobs I can get into besides consumer/retail and we are exploring jobs in the broadcast/media field as well as a para-pro being that I know about Autism (as I live with it) so that I can help kids in class that are on the spectrum so they don't end up like be being passed down or teamed up with someone whom doesn't care or otherwise are indifferent to their needs.

On a more personal level I've decided to devote my evenings to working out at the gym & am also looking at different Autism/Aspergers groups to join maybe somewhere I can fit in.

So that's where things stand as of now.
I wish you good luck on your explorations. Yeah, some of those job coaches and services are bogus at best.

I was in a program after my second (!) time for clinical depression, addiction (the second time around) and suicidal ideation (attempted the first time, about to attempt the second time) and was determined that my way of doing things was not working and was going to follow the program and learn a different method of living.

So, I go to this place that's supposed to help people 'like me' get work. First thing that happens is I get the fisheye because I 'don't fit the profile'. I was actually told that, so that's not a guess on my part. Then when they told me that I 'had to go to work' during my scheduled doctor's visits and during my program's required activities. I told them that I was not going to deviate from my program because I did that crap the first time and it didn't work. So, I was told I was uncooperative and I never went back.

Most of those people are not specialists. Most of them are just going by the training manual and have no insight. I had no trouble with me program supervisors or my therapists. As a matter of fact they were all telling me to slow down because my natural speed is 'balls to the wall' or as "Spaceballs" put it "ludicrous speed." I tend to work too fast on some things and don't always dot all the 'I's" and cross all the "T's."

So, they understood some things (This was '99 so, autism hadn't filtered down at that time enough to be diagnosed) that the 'jobs services' people couldn't fathom. It was like they just wanted to churn out the people no matter how it would have worked out or not.

Your tutor gets it and I am happy for you....

Good luck!!


_________________
Diagnosed April 14, 2016
ASD Level 1 without intellectual impairments.

RAADS-R -- 213.3
FQ -- 18.7
EQ -- 13
Aspie Quiz -- 186 out of 200
AQ: 42
AQ-10: 8.8


kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Feb 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 72,299
Location: Queens, NYC

18 Jan 2016, 3:06 pm

Not a bad idea being a para for autistic kids! Shoulda thought of that for you!



zkydz
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 7 Nov 2015
Age: 60
Posts: 3,215
Location: USA

18 Jan 2016, 3:22 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Not a bad idea being a para for autistic kids! Shoulda thought of that for you!
For whom?


_________________
Diagnosed April 14, 2016
ASD Level 1 without intellectual impairments.

RAADS-R -- 213.3
FQ -- 18.7
EQ -- 13
Aspie Quiz -- 186 out of 200
AQ: 42
AQ-10: 8.8


kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Feb 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 72,299
Location: Queens, NYC

18 Jan 2016, 3:31 pm

For Joel.



zkydz
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 7 Nov 2015
Age: 60
Posts: 3,215
Location: USA

18 Jan 2016, 4:59 pm

Whew!! ! LOL...

But, I do think his experiences would help him help others.


_________________
Diagnosed April 14, 2016
ASD Level 1 without intellectual impairments.

RAADS-R -- 213.3
FQ -- 18.7
EQ -- 13
Aspie Quiz -- 186 out of 200
AQ: 42
AQ-10: 8.8


JoelFan
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 May 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 599
Location: In a nerotypical world.

18 Jan 2016, 5:05 pm

Thanks guys,

For some odd reason the older I get the more I want to help kids and/or teens whom are on the spectrum, I dunno I've never felt this way before....maybe I'm just getting soft


_________________
"I really wish I was less of a thinking man and more of a fool not afraid of rejection." ~ Billy Joel


kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Feb 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 72,299
Location: Queens, NYC

18 Jan 2016, 5:07 pm

Maybe you know you have the proper experiences for this.



zkydz
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 7 Nov 2015
Age: 60
Posts: 3,215
Location: USA

18 Jan 2016, 5:12 pm

JoelFan wrote:
Thanks guys,

For some odd reason the older I get the more I want to help kids and/or teens whom are on the spectrum, I dunno I've never felt this way before....maybe I'm just getting soft
Ummmm...why is developing compassion 'soft'? Or was that self-deprecation?


_________________
Diagnosed April 14, 2016
ASD Level 1 without intellectual impairments.

RAADS-R -- 213.3
FQ -- 18.7
EQ -- 13
Aspie Quiz -- 186 out of 200
AQ: 42
AQ-10: 8.8


JoelFan
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 May 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 599
Location: In a nerotypical world.

18 Jan 2016, 5:16 pm

zkydz wrote:
JoelFan wrote:
Thanks guys,

For some odd reason the older I get the more I want to help kids and/or teens whom are on the spectrum, I dunno I've never felt this way before....maybe I'm just getting soft
Ummmm...why is developing compassion 'soft'? Or was that self-deprecation?


More self-deprecation then anything else, I've always had some sorta compassion for those whom had handicaps but ever since I got diagnosed with Autism I've been on a quest to better find my self which kinda led to wanting to help kids/teens whom are on the spectrum I dunno.


_________________
"I really wish I was less of a thinking man and more of a fool not afraid of rejection." ~ Billy Joel


zkydz
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 7 Nov 2015
Age: 60
Posts: 3,215
Location: USA

18 Jan 2016, 5:23 pm

JoelFan wrote:
zkydz wrote:
JoelFan wrote:
Thanks guys,

For some odd reason the older I get the more I want to help kids and/or teens whom are on the spectrum, I dunno I've never felt this way before....maybe I'm just getting soft
Ummmm...why is developing compassion 'soft'? Or was that self-deprecation?


More self-deprecation then anything else.....
Woo Hoo!! I got it!!

Sorta LOL

Anyway, I can applaud that. I wish you good luck with you endeavors!!


_________________
Diagnosed April 14, 2016
ASD Level 1 without intellectual impairments.

RAADS-R -- 213.3
FQ -- 18.7
EQ -- 13
Aspie Quiz -- 186 out of 200
AQ: 42
AQ-10: 8.8


CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Jul 2004
Age: 46
Gender: Male
Posts: 103,372
Location: Canada in person, Germany in spirit

19 Jan 2016, 11:31 pm

I'm glad you're doing well, JF.

To everyone:

I'm back for good. I got sucked into the dark world of Facebook and the slot machines there. House of Fun for one thing. I became obsessed with seeing how many rankings I can go up and I've spent a bunch of money on Facebook cards because of it. The song, Maggy by Rod Stewart comes to mind. Just replace Maggie with Facebook and you have a whole new song. A half an hour a day is okay, but not every minute that I can squeeze out of my free time.

Facebook, I wish I've never seen your face.


_________________
Augustus Gloop The Plump, Little Schlager

Kanye West 2024

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=26&start=645