Self diagnosed people here don't have aspergers

Page 1 of 41 [ 655 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 41  Next

kfa91
Butterfly
Butterfly

26 Apr 2007, 7:18 pm

I've been here for less than a week and looking around the forum it seems like many people are self diagnosed. They hear about aspergers and think they have it because they are kind of shy and have a hobby they are obsessed with. They take the online test and tell themselves that all their inabilities in life are from aspergers. Self diagnosed should just be undiagnosed. Aspergers is such a complicated disorder that only a doctor can tell you if you have it or not.

EarthCalling
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2007, 7:20 pm

Uh huh....

:roll:

You know you have asperger's when.... you come onto a message board and flame 3/4's of the members...

Last edited by EarthCalling on 26 Apr 2007, 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

miku
Raven
Raven

26 Apr 2007, 7:22 pm

Close but no cigar. What you just said is true of some self-diagnosed people. How could it possibly make any logical sense to assume it's true of all self-diagnosed people?

Quote:
Aspergers is such a complicated disorder that only a doctor can tell you if you have it or not.

I disagree.

JonnyBGoode
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2007, 7:23 pm

Funny. I took the online tests, did scads of research, then presented what I had found to my doctor. He confirmed my self-diagnosis was more than likely correct. So... I didn't have it, until the doctor confirmed it? What makes a doctor's stamp any sort of magic? A lot of doctors have never even heard of Aspergers (mine hadn't).

Last edited by JonnyBGoode on 26 Apr 2007, 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

krex
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2007, 7:35 pm

I was self-diagnosed before I was professionally diagnosed...how does that work with your theory?I doubt many people would bother with getting a DX if they didnt think they had it and many people ,after a certain age,dont feel it is worth the cost of DX,since their are no benifits(job assistence,financal aid for further schooling)available to them after getting DX.

I do have sme issues with the DX, even by professionals,it is far to subjective.I will feel much more confident about the DX,when it has some more scientific varifiable method of testing.

Visit my wool sculpture blog
http://eyesoftime.blogspot.com/

Vegasadelphia
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Apr 2007, 7:36 pm

JonnyBGoode wrote:
Funny. I took the online test, did scads of research, then presented what I had found to my doctor. He confirmed my self-diagnosis was more than likely correct. So... I didn't have it, until the doctor confirmed it? What makes a doctor's stamp any sort of magic? A lot of doctors have never even heard of Aspergers (mine hadn't).

Same. Sent the idea to my former psych and he said he agreed. He was an adult psych, didn't look at Asperbergers because its diagnosed most common in younger people.

MsTriste
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2007, 7:42 pm

Eight posts, eh?

You're a little young to be making such statements. You'll likely piss a bunch of people off.

IMO, if you come to WP and finally feel like you're on the right planet, you have diagnosed yourself. As others have mentioned, doctors don't necessarily know more than we do.

Anyway, who would WANT to label themselves as a social misfit?

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2007, 8:06 pm

kfa91 wrote:
I've been here for less than a week and looking around the forum it seems like many people are self diagnosed. They hear about aspergers and think they have it because they are kind of shy and have a hobby they are obsessed with. They take the online test and tell themselves that all their inabilities in life are from aspergers. Self diagnosed should just be undiagnosed. Aspergers is such a complicated disorder that only a doctor can tell you if you have it or not.

Do you know how INCREDIBLY circular your reasoning is????? "Aspergers is such a complicated disorder that only a doctor can tell you if you have it or not."! What an INCREDIBLY stupid thing to say! SO, Kanner and Asperger can't diagnose Autism, because they where NOT recognized as doctors with the ability to do so! So people THEY spoke with couldn't, and people THEY spoke with couldn't, etc..... OK, so NOBODY can diagnose autism, so WHAT IS YOUR POINT??????

OK, I'll tell you something:

1. I AM shy, but have NO idea how to do any of this. I met a pretty and nice woman today. I may never see her again. YEP, I am SHY! My SCHOOL said I should be checked in the FIRST GRADE because I wasn't interacting with the other kids. But I was/am smart. I was called a wisealec know it all when I was younger. I was considered arogant, but ADULTS still asked me for help, I fixed things, etc....

2. And YEP, I have hobbies. I know I got started in electricity when I was about 3. It became electronics before I was 6. When I was 17, It morphed into computers.(That was when IBM was STILL laughing at the prospect of a microcomputer, before the HP computer junk, and before canons famous print engine.) NONE was a MERE hobby. I mean I have gone without eating for a day or so. I have worked through the night.

3. I could talk about the hyper/hypo sensitivities I have had since the SIXTIES! I could talk about how people have said(as one here said) that I am a GENIUS but STUPID! Stupid dealing with trust, sports, social, etc... Smart dealing with nearly everything else.

SOMETHING is up, and it looks very much like AS. If not AS, then what? The hypersensitivity is odd. I used to have the TV/flourescent sensitivities people here speak of. Once, I took a hearing test, and people wondered about me. I heard things THEY didn't! Lights on one aircraft blinked, and like 30 other people COULDN'T SEE IT! I could! When alarms go off, I seem to be the only one *******MAD******* because of the pain. Some commercials and hold music hits sounds that are PAINFUL to me! People laugh at my going into freezing weather without a jacket. How COLD? Well, some times I left water in the car and it became a block of ICE! I think I would call that FREEZING! I am shocked how much I and others here think alike. I know it isn't as simple as 1,2,3, but I won't bore you with the rest... BTW it turns out I was talking before I was 1yo, and reading before I was 4yo!

One more thing. I wouldn't just come here and say I'm autistic. People have actually PRESSED me and INTEROGATED me to wonder where/how I learned things, etc... And rambled on about my abilities. It is like they expect me to tell them I am an alien or something. I wonder what they would say about autism.

Steve

okn0tok
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

26 Apr 2007, 8:14 pm

Well....
I find that Aspies are extremely intelligent, and are probably better at diagnosing themselves than their Doctors.
I have been my own doctor for years.
Somethings wrong. I read and read. I look at symptoms and figure out what is wrong.
Tell my doctor, and I am usually right.
So I think self-diagnosis is fine, if your intelligent enough to do it.

Neuromancer
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2007, 8:15 pm

kfa91 wrote:

You are wrong;

!) I don't have aspergers because it is not a thing to be had, no matter what your doctor toldd you, but I am aspie!

2) descriptions are much better than tests, thaw show very few.

3) Aspergers is not a disorder, it is a bless!

4) weare still teaching doctos what aspies are, but they are usually very hard to undertstand things. 8O

nutbag
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2007, 8:26 pm

53 self dx

Since I am an aspie I have no empathy nor compash. So it pains me not to say: "Up yours, Jack!"

lol

Actually what I meant to say was, hang around a while and learn, newbie.
welcome to WP!

cynicism occurs immediately upon pressing your brain's start button

JakeG
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2007, 8:31 pm

aylissa wrote:
Eight posts, eh?
You're a little young to be making such statements.

I completely disagree with this sentiment...post counts are irrelevant; especially in a forum like this that actively allows and encourages mammoth spam threads. How many posts are people meant to wait for until they can talk about what they want to and act like themselves? Might as well just do it from the get go. Having a high post count doesn't prevent anyone from being obnoxious, ignorant or making maladvisable posts.

aylissa wrote:
Anyway, who would WANT to label themselves as a social misfit?

Plenty of people. Check society out; conformity went out of fashion many years ago, nowadays the cool thing is to be unique, misunderstood and quasi-rebellious.

Last edited by JakeG on 26 Apr 2007, 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 9099 will be my last post...what the hell 9011 will be.

26 Apr 2007, 8:41 pm

Female: Other Autism spectrum : 251 : 58 %
Male: Other Autism spectrum : 182 : 42%

Female: Neurotypical : 280 : 63%
Male: Neurotypical : 167 : 27%

Female: Family with Autism:1696 : 80%
Male: Family with Autism: 420 : 20%

Female: unsure: 514: 35%
Male: unsure: 965: 65%

Female: Undiagnosed AS: 580 : 35%
Male: Undiagnosed AS: 1063: 65%

Female: Diagnosed: 1150 : 29%
Male: Diagnosed: 2785 : 71%

That puts the self diagnosed at (580+1063) / 10053 = 16 % of the members are self-dx
aspergers. And we can assume alot of them are correct so whats your point? A few percent of people claiming to have aspergers when they do not is some how causing you problems?

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2007, 8:44 pm

JakeG wrote:
aylissa wrote:
Eight posts, eh?
You're a little young to be making such statements.

I completely disagree with this sentiment...post counts are irrelevant; especially in a forum like this that actively allows and encourages mammoth spam threads. How many posts are people meant to wait for until they can talk about what they want to and act like themselves? Might as well just do it from the get go.

What I think she meant was that the poster hasn't been around long enough to see too much of the community, so they're making a rather provocative statement based on little information.

MsTriste
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2007, 8:46 pm

edited for PG13 language (afraid JakeG wouldn't understand)

Last edited by MsTriste on 26 Apr 2007, 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Starbuline
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2007, 8:48 pm

What a ridiculous statement. I was self-diagnosed for more than a year before I was professionally diagnosed.