You past college now, what are you doing about it (AS)?

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

BazzaMcKenzie
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2007, 8:04 pm

Posting this in the "over 28" forum, because I think in different stages of life (school, college, working) has different social environments and different challenges.

So what are you doing to improve yourself?

Anything?

I used to have a job with an expense account that was not accountable up to a limit. So I used to regularly take people out to lunch who I wanted to get to know better and to expand my "network". That stopped a while ago and I don't see many of these people anymore.

When my kids play sports, I make a poin of saying hello to other parents and doing a bit of "small talk". That's a bit of a "hit and run" thing.

But overall I stopped trying a couple of years ago. I am hopelessly disorganised and I want to do something about it.

Last edited by BazzaMcKenzie on 13 May 2007, 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wendytheweird
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 May 2007, 8:14 pm

BazzaMcKenzie wrote:
When my kids play sports, I make a poin of saying hello to other parents and doing a bit of "small talk". That's a bit of a "hit and run" thing.

I quit doing this a while ago. I say hi and that's it.

BazzaMcKenzie wrote:
But overall I stopped trying a couple of years ago. I am hopelessly disorganised and I want to do something about it.

Me, too.

I have a B.S. in chemistry. I stay at home with the kids. Every time I think about going back to work, which I absolutely need to do at some point (to pay off my student loans) I about have a panic attack.

calandale
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2007, 8:18 pm

Went back to school again....and again.
Someday, I figure I'll be able to get
a career, rather than just a bunch of
meaningless jobs.

agentcyclosarin
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2007, 8:27 pm

I still need to finish highschool, than I'm not - physically - over twenty-eight.
However I'm looking into Computer Technology and Information and Science Lab Tech. Might travel the way of forensics someday since .. everything is a forensic science really. If I had the patients to sit my ass down and learn old psychological theory I'd consider forensic psychology but I can't be bothered learning about the past and I get very unhappy when I see theory that is "CLEARLY" incorrect or obsolete in nature, I tend to debate EVERYTHING. So, I'll always be an armature. Freelance psychologist!

Sedaka
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2007, 8:46 pm

am currently teaching... which is good experience

that's the most i have to deal with people... rest of the time it's only 1-3 people some times... not even daily often enough

edit: im a grad stm bio research

got free science papers?

www.pubmed.gov
www.sciencedirect.com
http://highwire.stanford.edu/lists/freeart.dtl

Last edited by Sedaka on 13 May 2007, 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2007, 8:46 pm

I bounced in a bar for 4 years. Cant get much more social than that. "hi how are you?" "havent seen you in a while(who is this person???)"

A favourite phrase(to guys that want to fight..yikes!)

"Hey CREAMPUFF!" - guys do NOT like getting called that.

Then I stopped. The friendships I made with the staff and clientele melted like butter. The social (un)graces I learned changed me from someone called mild and quiet into someone seen as brooding and intimidating. It hasnt helped me one bit.

I did learn lots of rules of behavior and how to read some aspects of people, but again, that doesnt seem to be were my difficulty is. I'm told I dont present right.

ZanneMarie
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2007, 9:40 pm

Improve myself? Work on my writing. Find time for my writing. Spend time with hubby. Be nice to my pets. That has improved my life drastically.

to save me from ruin

Ticker
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2007, 10:09 pm

I keep thinking about going back for a second degree since the first one was worthless, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

I try to work on socializing and doing some small talk when I can tolerate it. I prefer my socializing as going to Autism meetings or having my own private eccentric Aspie lady meetings with Nutbag on the weekends and go to dinner and some kind of Mother Nature adventure.

I work on my temperment by being nice to my grumpy old kitty.

I call my neighbor once a week.

From time to time I do volunteer work. I volunteered in the NICU but after I picked up some weird infection there I had enough of that. I am board member for the local autism group now and that's about as good as it gets.

I have a fear of drive-ins and drive-thru restaurants because I've had my accent ridiculed extensively ever since I moved cross country. I went to a drive-in yesterday and then again today and they actually understood me. I guess its sad to say I'm fast approaching 40 and just now working on things like that.

Postperson
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2007, 1:04 am

at 50 i'm as improved as i'll ever be. i try to lead a low stress life since i function a lot better that way.

i moved to a very friendly regional small town and the neighbours and other locals are giving my social skills a good workout. i think i actually made a friend i want to keep - that hasn't happened for a long time.

apart from that i try to rid myself of pride.

Beenthere
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2007, 12:25 pm

I try to avoid the local soccer/PTA mom's gossip sessions...my son has no interest in soccer so thankfully I only have to deal with them at the bus stop...

Invitations to most events, graduations, weddings, etc are usually dealt with by using my personal system...buy card, place money in card, mail. Most people that know me enough to invite me to these things would probably fall over dead if I happened to show up anyways.

I live in a little community of sorts and my yard is popular...roomy, level, full of plants, and I usually put in a big garden...so around mid-July I am usually wishing for 12ft high security fencing or winning the sweepstakes so that I can buy that island I've always wanted. So I guess you could say forced socialization, and my 8 year old are keeping me from becoming a recluse.

I've been trying different things to work on some of my sensory issues...my son wants a trampoline, I've heard that they help...I'll probably be in a full body cast come September...

I meditate...try to work on stress issues...because my ex still gives me a ton of it on occasion.

:lol:

Ticker
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2007, 1:35 pm

Beenthere- I think they make some kind of netting fence to put around trampolines so as you fall off there is something to grab hold of to break the fall.

Be sure to hide the trampoline from the neighbors or you will have all the kids in the neighborhood over at your house every day this summer. And if you live very close, I'll be over too.

HankPym
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 May 2007, 4:20 pm

Ididn't get to truly go to college andI's - still - verybummed out aBOUT IT .

Chuck
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2007, 7:31 pm

[quote="BazzaMcKenzie"]Posting this in the "over 28" forum, because I think in different stages of life (school, college, working) has different social environments and different challenges.

So what are you doing to improve yourself?

Anything?

I used to have a job with an expense account that was not accountable up to a limit. So I used to regularly take people out to lunch who I wanted to get to know better and to expand my "network". That stopped a while ago and I don't see many of these people anymore.

But overall I stopped trying a couple of years ago. I am hopelessly disorganised and I want to do something about it.[/quote]

Dear BazzaMcKenzie,
You say you stopped trying - do you refer to the socializing that you used to do, or to something else not named? Is it due to the fact that you are older now and whatever it is that you are trying to regain no longer holds the value for you that it once did? Or are you meaning that you want tips on how to get organized again? Maybe you want tips on motivation?

You say you "want to do something about it". When that is true, you will. So change is not far off. :)

Good luck to you, and best wishes.
Chuck

blessedmom
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2007, 8:55 pm

Beenthere wrote:
I try to avoid the local soccer/PTA mom's gossip sessions...my son has no interest in soccer so thankfully I only have to deal with them at the bus stop...

Invitations to most events, graduations, weddings, etc are usually dealt with by using my personal system...buy card, place money in card, mail. Most people that know me enough to invite me to these things would probably fall over dead if I happened to show up anyways.

I live in a little community of sorts and my yard is popular...roomy, level, full of plants, and I usually put in a big garden...so around mid-July I am usually wishing for 12ft high security fencing or winning the sweepstakes so that I can buy that island I've always wanted. So I guess you could say forced socialization, and my 8 year old are keeping me from becoming a recluse.

I've been trying different things to work on some of my sensory issues...my son wants a trampoline, I've heard that they help...I'll probably be in a full body cast come September...

I meditate...try to work on stress issues...because my ex still gives me a ton of it on occasion.

:lol:

I am a soccer mom and have found taking my knitting or a book along gets people to stay away. I have tried to socialize in the past and found out that I got along better with the dads. Not a good scene! Women are jealous creatures apparently! :roll:

I found the trampoline keeps other kids away because the parents around here are very uptight and their children might be hurt so they are not allowed.

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2007, 9:10 pm

I sent in my manuscript of my story about my cat to a publisher.

I have been working at the library for nearly five years and hope to get a full time job.

I have achieved four college degrees, but have yet to get my driver's license.

Beenthere
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2007, 10:12 pm

Quote:
I have tried to socialize in the past and found out that I got along better with the dads. Not a good scene! Women are jealous creatures apparently!

:roll: I hear you there. I have always found it easier to talk to men for some reason...not good...worse when you are also the only single mother on the block. I've gotten the "the look" thrown my way quite frequently...I try to keep to myself as much as possible.

Intending on hiding the trampoline the best I can in the back yard...definitely need that net Ticker. I am an accident waiting to happen...and my son unfortunately seems to have inherited a little of that same gene I think some days. 8O