Does high intelligence nwcessarily mean high functioning?

Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2019, 12:38 pm

I'm not sure that it does. My psychiatrists over the years and my sister have described me as very intelligent . However I have much lower non-verbal than verbal intelligence. I struggle with day to day practical tasks. I get quite a bit of help from my stepdaughter and someone who comes in twice a week to clean. The help is described in my care plan as enabling me to continue living independently in my flat.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2019, 1:18 pm

A number of folks on WP come off as quite intelligent when they post here, but say that they are classified as "not aspie", and "not high functioning", and are classed as "low functioning", or level 2, or level 3, or like that.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2019, 1:50 pm

I found this thread viewtopic.php?t=306522 . My daily living skills are not very good.

Ollywog
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

17 Mar 2019, 5:08 pm

I've scored high on intelligence tests all my life, but I struggle and struggle to care for myself and my living space. (I'm not an ideal data point, though, since I haven't had an opportunity to be evaluated for ASD yet.)

Last edited by Ollywog on 17 Mar 2019, 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2019, 5:34 pm

Generally speaking - no, it does not. A person can be very intelligent and have a host of other issues that impair function.

It's often said that Einstein could not tie his own shoes, and required assistance with the usual activities of daily living.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2019, 5:58 pm

It does not mean one will literally function well in society.

Average to above average intelligence is the definition oft used by Autism professionals for "high functioning". "High functioning" and "low functioning" have never been used in any diagnostic manual.

The current DSM uses levels of support needed which is equivalent to the ability to function poorly in society and "with or without intellectual impairment"

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2019, 6:51 pm

I am still waiting to see if I'm on the spectrum . If I am I think I'd be level 1 , though I'm not totally sure of that. Using average or above intelligence as a marker of 'high functioning' I'd fit. However I have a very spiky profile with verbal ability being much better than non-verbal/practical/spatial intelligence . I asked my depot nurse what my functioning level was from a mental health perspective. She said with the help I'm getting it's medium high/high medium , but was quite bit lower when I was not getting much help at my previous address .

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2019, 7:46 pm

Health, personality and luck can make any smart person dysfunctional

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2019, 7:39 am

Some lower-functioning autistic people can be very clever.

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

18 Mar 2019, 7:45 am

I think it's the measuring instrument that's crucial. Now they're mostly based in NT society. So I'm "off."

There was something somewhere about judging a fish's intelligence by its ability to climb a tree.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2019, 7:48 am

Einstein had a quote about judging a fish’s intelligence by its ability to climb a tree on land.

Arganger
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2019, 10:01 am

Definitely not, I've meant very smart, much smarter than me level two and three people. And I'm level 2 with above average intelligence.

Suspected; PTSD (Treated, as my counselor did notice), possible PCOS, PMDD, Learning disabilities (Sure of it, unknown what they are), possibly something wrong with immune system (Sick about as much as I'm not) Possible EDS- hyper mobility type (Will be getting tested, suggested by doctor) dysautonomia

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2019, 10:14 am

I am pretty intelligent, hold a full time job, and live independently.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2019, 10:15 am

All I have is a "dash of autism", the way a recipe calls for a dash of salt. I have problems relating to both NTs and autistic people. :(

The human race makes zero sense. A lot of people think we're geniuses or savants and yet they love to make us feel inferior and alien.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2019, 10:30 am

I live independently but get quite a bit of help. I've never worked.

Rad Rockit
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Mar 2019, 10:32 am

I have an ex-coworker who like me is on the spectrum, and I would actually consider him much more intelligent than myself, though the big difference between us is, people see him and immediately assume he's autistic or perhaps mentally-handicapped even though he's clearly not, whereas most people think I'm an NT. This is probably because I'm more introverted than him, but I've still never considered myself to be particularly intelligent. Basically what I'm saying is that it doesn't seem that high intelligence equals high functioning, but I'm no expert honestly.