Page 1 of 4 [ 54 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

angelofdarkness
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Jul 2022, 2:20 pm

Does anyone else, get overly drained by being around too many people, or just someone who talks a lot? A coworker of mine will just talk about whatever comes up in her mind, all day even if you're trying to be quiet and work. It can be a bit frustrating when she'll follow me around, trying to talk my ear off or stand around talking to customers when we have a job to do. I get extremely drained if I'm somewhere like a busy grocery store or around someone really extroverted.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2022, 3:42 pm

I am quite like the woman you described. I could talk on and on about everything and anything that comes into my mind. I thought it was an ADHD trait.

But I have a friend who used to wear me out a bit (but I think she has undiagnosed ADHD). If she gets too overexcited about something, she'd stand almost right on your toes and wave her hands about near your face to put emphasis on her point.
But at the same time I love being around her because you can just talk and talk and she won't tell you that you talk too much. I wish my boyfriend was more like that. He's an introverted NT and likes moments to himself where he can just watch the TV and not talk. I could talk all day about everything and anything. If I go too long without talking...well, I can't. It's why I talk to myself when I'm at home alone.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2022, 3:46 pm

I definitely feel drained after being around very talkative people. I often need some quiet, alone time afterwards.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2022, 6:44 pm

There are two types of people in this world. There are introverts and extroverts. Around 50 percent of the people in the world are introverts and the other half are "you guessed it" extroverts. Extroverts recharge their internal batteries by talking to others. That is how they recharge. Introverts recharge their bodies by being alone. We love quiet. It lets our minds restore.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2022, 7:36 pm

Yes, especially when they talk very loudly and to each other and not to me.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2022, 7:37 pm

jimmy m wrote:
There are two types of people in this world. There are introverts and extroverts. Around 50 percent of the people in the world are introverts and the other half are "you guessed it" extroverts. Extroverts recharge their internal batteries by talking to others. That is how they recharge. Introverts recharge their bodies by being alone. We love quiet. It lets our minds restore.

That is not entirely true. There are introverts, extroverts and ambiverts. Ambiverts have both extrovert and introvert personality traits and is actually the most common type in the general population. I happen to be an ambivert myself, I love talking and being around people but I can be shy or quiet too.

Pteranomom
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Jul 2022, 7:42 pm

Some people talk a lot, but it's good conversation. They talk *with* others, not just *at* others. And some people just want an audience.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2022, 7:46 pm

angelofdarkness wrote:
Does anyone else, get overly drained by being around too many people, or just someone who talks a lot?

Yes.
Some days later, some days sooner.

Lady Strange
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

09 Jul 2022, 10:40 pm

Very much so! I have a coworker who often talks at me rather than to me, and on and on about things that to me are just nothing I want to have a conversation about, but it is at work so I try to be sort of polite sometimes. Honestly other times I do ignore because it would be too much. I think it is just how some people are, but it is not fun to be "held hostage" by someone who wants to talk your ear off. I like a lot of quiet time and peace. I don't mind talking some, but I tend to be on the quiet side, always have been.

ThisTimelessMoment
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Jul 2022, 1:09 am

Your co-worker has a lack of boundaries. Perhaps explaining politely that you need some quiet to be able to work would help?

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2022, 10:41 am

Some precious lil "people" act like every thought and emotion that goes through their heads are the latest greatest scientific invention. Way too enthusiastic. Then when noise pollution comes out of my beak, they half listen and grunt "huh" and "what" like they are the etiquette equivalent of "excuse me "

They act like they are doing me a personal favor by telling me everything they are thinking and feeling. And then I feel like I have to answer in a way that satisfies them, lest they tell their lil cronies how curt and rude I was

Where_am_I
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2022, 10:54 am

Yes, and I find it physically painful when they go on and on....I become agitated and just have to get away from the person.

I really can't focus on what's being said after a certain point. It's the same with very long posts - especially if there's no paragraphs.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2022, 11:02 am

I'm quite animated when I talk. I get really overexcited sometimes and that probably doesn't suit everyone.

I do try my best with most people because I'd like to hope that people would do the same for me but every now and then I do happen upon a person who I just can't tolerate.

I think it maybe that they go to slow for the way my adhd brain works but they literally send me under. Its not there fault either, it's probably actually mine and that makes it even worse for me because I don't want to dislike someone just based on the fact that they are taking too long to say something or because of the tone of their voice.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2022, 11:09 am

Pteranomom wrote:
Some people talk a lot, but it's good conversation. They talk *with* others, not just *at* others. And some people just want an audience.

Yes, you hit the nail on the head there. Soooo many people just want to lecture us or monologue. They have no clue about the conversation skills of taking turns to speak and listen.

Good conversation skills are going out of fashion fast. I generally find it's only people over 70 who have any idea of how to hold a proper conversation.

Probably caused by social media, because on there people can just monologue without having to listen or reply to others.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2022, 11:17 am

Yeah I used to know someone who would do that. They would start off and just keep going and going and going. Monotone voice as well.

I I just couldn't handle it. He was quite a popular person as well so I just put it down to me having the problem.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2022, 11:19 am

If people "don't let you have a word in edgewise," the conversation becomes boring.