Calfornia...Has it been destroyed by left-wing polices?

Page 1 of 9 [ 134 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 11 Jun 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 23,855
Location: Australia

08 Nov 2022, 2:54 am

I heard something in passing in the news just now.
Hence the title of this thread.

I would like to be educated.
Feed me. :mrgreen:


_________________
Laughter is the best medicine. Age-appropriate behaviour is an arbitrary NT social construct.
Don't tell me white lies. Gaslight me at your peril. Don't give me your bad attitude. Hypnosis, psychosis. Tomarto, tomayto. There are *4* lights. Honey badger.
If I'm so bad, pass me by. ;)


And one more thing,



Also, as George Carlin said, "I have no stake in the outcome." I'll stick around for the comedy.

"A stranger is a friend gang-stalker you haven't met yet."
Truth may be inconvenient but it is never politically incorrect...The Oracle of Truth has spoken...8)
Glory to Ukraine.


goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Feb 2013
Age: 40
Gender: Male
Posts: 18,472
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada

08 Nov 2022, 3:43 am

Mebe it's been destroyed by right wing policies across the country that created a bunch of homeless people that have all moved to the west coast in order to survive the winter ? :? Just a guess; I have no idea. But it's a slightly educated guess as we have Most of Canada's homeless population here on the west coast & I know Cali has an insanely high homeless population and it is a Fact that people migrate to survivable climates vs. staying put and freezing to death.

So, if left wing policies are what made mild winters in California, then maybe.


_________________
No :heart: for supporting trump. Because doing so is deplorable.


Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2008
Age: 65
Gender: Male
Posts: 57,198
Location: Stendec

08 Nov 2022, 3:58 am

Last time I checked, California still existed -- it has not been destroyed.


_________________
 
• Veritas Illuminata • Semper Illuminans • Custodiamus Veritas •
• Et Serviunt Qui Non Videntur •


magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

User avatar

Joined: 1 Jun 2017
Age: 37
Gender: Female
Posts: 15,492
Location: Poland

08 Nov 2022, 4:13 am

Last time I checked, the strongest powers attempting to destroy California were wildfires. I'm also aware of earthquakes. I don't think "left-wing policies" cause either.


_________________
Let's not confuse being normal with being mentally healthy.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>


Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2008
Age: 65
Gender: Male
Posts: 57,198
Location: Stendec

08 Nov 2022, 5:25 am

magz wrote:
Last time I checked, the strongest powers attempting to destroy California were wildfires. I'm also aware of earthquakes. I don't think "left-wing policies" cause either.
I know some Right-Wing Christian Dominionists who would whole-heartedly disagree with you on that.


_________________
 
• Veritas Illuminata • Semper Illuminans • Custodiamus Veritas •
• Et Serviunt Qui Non Videntur •


Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Jul 2004
Age: 43
Gender: Male
Posts: 44,205
Location: Abbottistan

08 Nov 2022, 8:05 am

Destroyed, no.

Does CA have its flaws? Yes. Every state does.

The main issue would be, of course, housing. But I don't blame left-wing policies (or right-wing for that matter). Rather, it's zoning and NIMBYism that are preventing affordable housing from being built.



roronoa79
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 22 Jan 2012
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,046
Location: Indiana

08 Nov 2022, 7:37 pm

California has gone down the tubes for many reasons, many of which are not political in origin. Years of drought brought exacerbated by climate change. Droves of people going to LA fooling themselves into thinking they can make it big in Hollywood, finding no work, and joining the states enormous homeless population. Cities in eastern California being neglected by a market and political culture dominated by the coasts. The excesses and disgusting commercialism of the bloated abomination that is Hollywood.
As for political problems, I would pin it less on the left and more on politicians pandering to the left and center-left. California is the poster child for leftist rhetoric being used as a smokescreen by a political establishment that is still very, very much in the pockets of corporations and the wealthy. The talk about social justice is skin deep. Kamala Harris is a good example. She can run her mouth about the need for equality and inclusion, but immediately turns around and demonizes the homeless and upholds mass incarceration. People on Both Sides (tm) of the aisle are duped into thinking California Democrats are bona fide leftists/socialists/whatever and not people who pretend to be so to further their political careers and the interest of their corporate donors.


_________________
Diagnoses: AS, Depression, General & Social Anxiety
I guess I just wasn't made for these times.
- Brian Wilson

Δυνατὰ δὲ οἱ προύχοντες πράσσουσι καὶ οἱ ἀσθενεῖς ξυγχωροῦσιν.
Those with power do what their power permits, and the weak can only acquiesce.

- Thucydides


old_comedywriter
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 1 Jan 2006
Gender: Male
Posts: 515
Location: Somewhere west of where you are

08 Nov 2022, 7:59 pm

Texas - has it been destroyed by right-wing idiots?


_________________
It ain't easy being me, but someone's gotta do it.


Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Jul 2004
Age: 43
Gender: Male
Posts: 44,205
Location: Abbottistan

08 Nov 2022, 9:11 pm

old_comedywriter wrote:
Texas - has it been destroyed by right-wing idiots?


Yes. Florida even more so.



Last edited by Tim_Tex on 08 Nov 2022, 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 9 Sep 2022
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,675
Location: City of Roses

08 Nov 2022, 9:31 pm

roronoa79 wrote:
California has gone down the tubes for many reasons, many of which are not political in origin. Years of drought brought exacerbated by climate change. Droves of people going to LA fooling themselves into thinking they can make it big in Hollywood, finding no work, and joining the states enormous homeless population. Cities in eastern California being neglected by a market and political culture dominated by the coasts. The excesses and disgusting commercialism of the bloated abomination that is Hollywood.
As for political problems, I would pin it less on the left and more on politicians pandering to the left and center-left. California is the poster child for leftist rhetoric being used as a smokescreen by a political establishment that is still very, very much in the pockets of corporations and the wealthy. The talk about social justice is skin deep. Kamala Harris is a good example. She can run her mouth about the need for equality and inclusion, but immediately turns around and demonizes the homeless and upholds mass incarceration. People on Both Sides (tm) of the aisle are duped into thinking California Democrats are bona fide leftists/socialists/whatever and not people who pretend to be so to further their political careers and the interest of their corporate donors.


This answer sounds like the most accurate one for describing California. My friend who lives close to California calls these people "limousine liberals". They don't practice what they preach and they are really out of touch with the true needs of people.



roronoa79
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 22 Jan 2012
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,046
Location: Indiana

08 Nov 2022, 11:51 pm

DeathFlowerKing wrote:
This answer sounds like the most accurate one for describing California. My friend who lives close to California calls these people "limousine liberals". They don't practice what they preach and they are really out of touch with the true needs of people.

Why, thank you.
Also I love that label "limousine liberals". I'll definitely use that. People who profess liberal/left-leaning/leftist positions, but mainly do so for the social brownie points or because they think it is the civil/polite/intelligent/proper/decent thing to say--not something they say because of a sincere or fleshed out personal ideology.


_________________
Diagnoses: AS, Depression, General & Social Anxiety
I guess I just wasn't made for these times.
- Brian Wilson

Δυνατὰ δὲ οἱ προύχοντες πράσσουσι καὶ οἱ ἀσθενεῖς ξυγχωροῦσιν.
Those with power do what their power permits, and the weak can only acquiesce.

- Thucydides


auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Feb 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 111,624
Location: the island of defective toy santas

09 Nov 2022, 12:18 am

california is slowly being eroded from within and without, by a variety of bad trends and conditions. most of all, there is multifaceted internal and external resistance to/corruption against doing what is necessary, or even agreeing on what the problems are or in finding common ground rules, for fixing california's multiple problems. the problems are not quite akin to a "slow-motion train wreck" but they still have an exigency that only the foolish would continue to "whistle past the graveyard" about such. IMHO - in many ways - california is a microcosm of the rest of 'muuuurica.



Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 11 Jun 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 23,855
Location: Australia

09 Nov 2022, 2:19 am

goldfish21 wrote:
Mebe it's been destroyed by right wing policies across the country that created a bunch of homeless people that have all moved to the west coast in order to survive the winter ?


Interesting. I haven't considered this pull factor.


_________________
Laughter is the best medicine. Age-appropriate behaviour is an arbitrary NT social construct.
Don't tell me white lies. Gaslight me at your peril. Don't give me your bad attitude. Hypnosis, psychosis. Tomarto, tomayto. There are *4* lights. Honey badger.
If I'm so bad, pass me by. ;)


And one more thing,



Also, as George Carlin said, "I have no stake in the outcome." I'll stick around for the comedy.

"A stranger is a friend gang-stalker you haven't met yet."
Truth may be inconvenient but it is never politically incorrect...The Oracle of Truth has spoken...8)
Glory to Ukraine.


Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 11 Jun 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 23,855
Location: Australia

09 Nov 2022, 2:20 am

Fnord wrote:
Last time I checked, California still existed -- it has not been destroyed.


If you would like the implicit context I am using, just ask. ;)


_________________
Laughter is the best medicine. Age-appropriate behaviour is an arbitrary NT social construct.
Don't tell me white lies. Gaslight me at your peril. Don't give me your bad attitude. Hypnosis, psychosis. Tomarto, tomayto. There are *4* lights. Honey badger.
If I'm so bad, pass me by. ;)


And one more thing,



Also, as George Carlin said, "I have no stake in the outcome." I'll stick around for the comedy.

"A stranger is a friend gang-stalker you haven't met yet."
Truth may be inconvenient but it is never politically incorrect...The Oracle of Truth has spoken...8)
Glory to Ukraine.


Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 11 Jun 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 23,855
Location: Australia

09 Nov 2022, 2:27 am

magz wrote:
Last time I checked, the strongest powers attempting to destroy California were wildfires. I'm also aware of earthquakes. I don't think "left-wing policies" cause either.


My right-wing sources have pointed out that liberal policies regarding crime have created a chronic situation of shop ransacking, causing businesses to close down and go out of business or relocate to other states, for example.
Generally, it is suggested that crime is out of control in California.


_________________
Laughter is the best medicine. Age-appropriate behaviour is an arbitrary NT social construct.
Don't tell me white lies. Gaslight me at your peril. Don't give me your bad attitude. Hypnosis, psychosis. Tomarto, tomayto. There are *4* lights. Honey badger.
If I'm so bad, pass me by. ;)


And one more thing,



Also, as George Carlin said, "I have no stake in the outcome." I'll stick around for the comedy.

"A stranger is a friend gang-stalker you haven't met yet."
Truth may be inconvenient but it is never politically incorrect...The Oracle of Truth has spoken...8)
Glory to Ukraine.


magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

User avatar

Joined: 1 Jun 2017
Age: 37
Gender: Female
Posts: 15,492
Location: Poland

09 Nov 2022, 2:36 am

Pepe wrote:
magz wrote:
Last time I checked, the strongest powers attempting to destroy California were wildfires. I'm also aware of earthquakes. I don't think "left-wing policies" cause either.


My right-wing sources have pointed out that liberal policies regarding crime have created a chronic situation of shop ransacking, causing businesses to close down and go out of business or relocate to other states, for example.
Generally, it is suggested that crime is out of control in California.

Available data does not confirm it. Crime in California is not higher than in Texas, Alabama and several other "red" states.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U ... crime_rate

In particular, crime rates in California have dropped significantly in the last few decades.
https://www.ppic.org/publication/crime- ... alifornia/


_________________
Let's not confuse being normal with being mentally healthy.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>