Are there any other blind people here?

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

TikvaBall
Raven
Raven

14 Dec 2023, 11:16 pm

Just curious. I'd love to see if anyone here has had the same experiences that I have.

RedDeathFlower13
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2023, 11:20 pm

I'm actually blind in my left eye and my right eye has been gettimg fuzzy at a distance. Im supposed to wear glasses but mine are too big for my face and keep sliding off.

TikvaBall
Raven
Raven

15 Dec 2023, 12:32 am

How much vision do you have in your left eye? Are you totally blind in that eye or do you have light perception or any shadows or anything like that? I have light and shapes and the color red if I hold it up to my eyes to look at it.

RedDeathFlower13
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2023, 12:35 am

TikvaBall wrote:
How much vision do you have in your left eye? Are you totally blind in that eye or do you have light perception or any shadows or anything like that? I have light and shapes and the color red if I hold it up to my eyes to look at it.

If I close my right eye my left eye can make out shapes and colors but they're all very blurry. I can't even read the Big E on the chart.

belijojo
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2023, 12:43 am

What makes me curious is, how do you use this site, stick your face to the screen or actually use accessibility features? I always thought this function was not perfect enough

TikvaBall
Raven
Raven

15 Dec 2023, 12:59 am

I use accessibility features. I have an iPhone with the built-in screen reader and a braille display hooked to the phone by bluetooth. The braille display works as a keyboard as well as a monitor. The accessibility on this site is not perfect, but that could be because of Safari. I have some suggestions, but I don't want to mess it up for the other people by changing it.

RedDeathFlower13
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2023, 1:02 am

I just use my good eye to see. :nerdy:

belijojo
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2023, 1:08 am

cool :D

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2023, 1:12 am

I lost my vision in one eye when I had my first stroke. When my vision came back I had severe diplopia (double vision) in both eyes and I lost my driving licence for four years. When I first joined WP I still had trouble seeing. I went to visual rehabilitation therapy and wore pop-bottle glasses (thick prism lenses).

Regardless of the stroke damage I've always had very poor eyesight including Visual Snow Syndrome, eyes that can move independently, a convergence disorder, and poor vision both up close and at distance.

I'd say I'm legally blind with regard to reading if I don't wear my glasses. I wouldn't even be able to read a stop sign. I spend about $3,000 every two years on special glasses.

My mother has Macular Degeneration and needs needle injections in her eyes. It's genetic and I have some signs of it as well. MD causes blindness. My brother lost his eyesight last year when his optic nerves disintegrated literally overnight. They never did figure out what caused him to go blind.

TikvaBall
Raven
Raven

15 Dec 2023, 8:13 am

Yipes! Injections in her eyes...nope nope nope. That hurts just thinking about it.
I was born blind so I've lived with it all my life, but I know it must be really hard to lose your vision in later life. When I was a kid I used to get frustrated with my Granny because she also had MD, and she lost most of her vision. I got upset because she was always complaining about it, and I was thinking come on, it's not that bad. Now I understand from personal experience that getting a disability later in life, or in my case, having a disability get worse on you as an adult after it was mild as a kid, absolutely sucks.

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2023, 9:09 am

^ I had numerous injections to my eyes in the 1980s and 1990s to treat a condition called Anterior Uveitis. The medications were steroids and mydriatics (drugs which dilate the pupil). The experience wasn't as bad as most people might imagine, but still hardly pleasant.