Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Butterfly88
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2024, 7:52 pm

How do you all cope with being both autistic and LGBT? I always worry people will hate me for either one or the other or both.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2024, 8:15 pm

This sounds complex....But be careful of self fullfilling prophecies . Guess am a bit Naive in this area ..
but thought ,maybe choose your company as best as you can...Supposably ? people ? are suppose to like you for who you are ? if not. , then might not be a good choice for your Associations in Life . :shrug:

where ever you go ,there you are

Butterfly88
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2024, 4:55 am

Hmm, yeah that’s true, if people don’t support who I am they are not worth having around. I may need to be more selective who I spend time with.

Velorum
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2024, 8:42 am

I cope just fine!

Ive been a member of the LGBTQ+ community since 1975 - way before my Autistic identity was confirmed. I am a member of a number of gay/queer support and activism groups in Cornwall. I have observed that there is a significant overlap between the AU and LGBTQ+ community here.

Director at the Autistic Community of Cornwall CIC
Clinical advisor to Youth Art Connect CIC
Non-binary member of the LGBTQ+ community

Butterfly88
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2024, 11:37 am

Velorum wrote:
I cope just fine!

Ive been a member of the LGBTQ+ community since 1975 - way before my Autistic identity was confirmed. I am a member of a number of gay/queer support and activism groups in Cornwall. I have observed that there is a significant overlap between the AU and LGBTQ+ community here.

It’s the opposite for me, I was diagnosed autistic first at age 7 and came to realize I was a lesbian in high school. That’s good you are involved. I have noticed that here too.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2024, 12:32 am

As I've embraced my feminine side my social skills have become much better!
I've changed my wardrobe to make it obviously feminine. I went to the Town's Memorial Day Parade wearing Pink Hat!
I wear a hat all the time to protect my skin from the sun. In the garden I wear an olive one. When I go out and socialize I wear my pink one. I wore my floral Timex watch with a pink floral band.

I recently did my first social double entendre! A guy was shopping with his wife and stopped to look me over.
I said "thank you" and zoomed past them on my high heels. :D
Thanks for looking me over and thanks for stopping so I could get past you in a busy grocery store!

Butterfly88
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2024, 6:47 pm

BTDT wrote:
As I've embraced my feminine side my social skills have become much better!
I've changed my wardrobe to make it obviously feminine. I went to the Town's Memorial Day Parade wearing Pink Hat!
I wear a hat all the time to protect my skin from the sun. In the garden I wear an olive one. When I go out and socialize I wear my pink one. I wore my floral Timex watch with a pink floral band.

I recently did my first social double entendre! A guy was shopping with his wife and stopped to look me over.
I said "thank you" and zoomed past them on my high heels. :D
Thanks for looking me over and thanks for stopping so I could get past you in a busy grocery store!

That’s awesome!

sky105
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

22 Jun 2024, 11:21 pm

Butterfly88 wrote:
How do you all cope with being both autistic and LGBT? I always worry people will hate me for either one or the other or both.

I feel this a lot...not necessarily the hate, but they both narrow the options of people to connect with. I've been queer for a while, but I'm just now sorting out the autism piece, and this is scary. I feel like it's hard enough dealing with being non-binary (constantly coming out and feeling misgendered). I'm not sure how to handle this extra layer of being othered.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2024, 1:37 am

The way to handle autism is to ask for specific help when you needed.
In other words, if the lights are too bright or the talking too loud you need to say that.

I'm autistic is not helpful. That is way too vague. Each person on the spectrum is different.
Normal people aren't going to figure out autism to help you.

Don't ask don't tell is a very important relationship phrase.
Sometimes it is much better if someone doesn't know you are autistic but only knows a few specific details, like you like plain hamburgers and want the TV volume turned away down.

colliegrace
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2024, 4:49 am

Hm.... well. I think my autism makes me a pretty passionate person when it comes to standing up for a good cause.

....now, if I could only expression said passion and "standing up for a good cause" in a way that doesn't strike people as odd.

Also diagnosed with: seasonal depression, anxiety, OCD

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2024, 9:24 am

colliegrace wrote:
Hm.... well. I think my autism makes me a pretty passionate person when it comes to standing up for a good cause.

....now, if I could only expression said passion and "standing up for a good cause" in a way that doesn't strike people as odd.

Think maybe more than one Aspie has , had similiar feelings , in their life at some point or another or more .... :oops: .

where ever you go ,there you are

dustinsdynasty
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

10 Jul 2024, 7:16 pm

Pretty good with being autistic, sometimes got some flack about being on the LGBTQ+ side.

For nearly the past five years, many people thought I was gay and while I do like the same sex, I am repulsed by sex and penetration along with being impient because of health reasons, I have made the determination recently that I am a homoromantic asexual that has provided closure to those that knew along with me that a gay relationship would be a disaster. I have came out as homoromantic asexual to my closest friends, but in general to those that are willing to accept and are in a safe space, I just state that I am part of the LGBTQIA+ community under the Asexual identy.

Blog: http://www.dustinsdynastyusa.com
Linktree: http://linktr.ee/dustinsdynasty