Video game file extensions and such

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

LostInBed
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2009, 1:59 pm

:help:
Does anyone know:
A) how to translate videogame cartridge files to be playable on a Wii? and What file extension are the Wii game discs programmed in?
B) is it okay to use the main cartridge related Emulator playable extension or do I need all the smaller files(ie, the sound, video, etc)
C)Would I necessarily need writable DVD's and a DVD burner/superdrive or could I run the games from a memory card?
D)What's the likely hood of file corruption and/or data loss in the conversion process?
and last but not least
E) when all's said and done, will they actually be safely playable on my Wii?

Another couple curiosities I have are what is the file extension assosciated with the original Spyro and the first two Tony Hawk games as I would also(if it's feesable/even necessary) like to convert those and does anyone know any torrent sites where I could get the files for these games(wishlist to follow) one at a time rather than in huge zip packages?

*********Wishlist broken down by system*********

NES:
Circus Charlie
Super Mario/Duck Hunt
Arkanoid

Gameboy:
Tetris
Super Mario Land
Dr. Mario

SNES:
Super Marios: World, All Stars and Kart
Disney's: Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, Toy Story and The Lion King
DKC
Top Gear
Street Fighter II: The World Champion
Puzzle Bobble(or is it Bust-A-Move?)

Sega Genesis:
Sonic: Original, Spinball, and Sonic and Knuckles
Disney's Pocahontas

Sega Game Gear:
Sonic
Dr Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine

Sega Saturn:
Sega Swirl(I curse a former friend who got me addicted to the PC version of this game)

Playstation/PS One:
Spyro
THPS 1&2(or was 2 released on PS2?)

Oh and once all the translation/conversion tinkering is done is there a way to mod the games to include a config option allowing play with the "classic controller" peripheral?

DavidK
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Oct 2009, 10:39 pm

WiiBrew might be of some help for the emulators. As for the cartridge ROMs, try your friendly neighbourhood torrent site.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2009, 12:56 am

A) If your ROMs work in an emulator designed for the PC, chances are they will work in an emulator designed for the Wii. That is, if I understand your question correctly.
B) I'm not sure what this question means. Are you referring to MAME? There really shouldn't be any "smaller files".
C) You can load them from an SD card, yes.
D) You don't need to convert the ROMs to anything, so I will say 0%.
E) Pretty safe, yes. There is a possibility of turning your Wii into a paperweight if it loses power while you're flashing the firmware, but that's about it.

Quote:
Another couple curiosities I have are what is the file extension assosciated with the original Spyro and the first two Tony Hawk games...?

CD based games don't really have one specific file extension...you just have a CD image (BIN/CUE, ISO, CDI, what-have-you) and burn it with whichever program to an actual physical CD, or mount them, or the emulator usually supports straight loading of BIN/CUEs (though usually without CD audio).

Quote:
Sega Saturn:
Sega Swirl(I curse a former friend who got me addicted to the PC version of this game)

Playstation/PS One:
Spyro
THPS 1&2(or was 2 released on PS2?)

As far as I know, there are no Sega Saturn emulators for the Wii. There is a PSX emulator, but I don't think they've gotten it working 100% yet (though they're awfully close).

Quote:
Oh and once all the translation/conversion tinkering is done is there a way to mod the games to include a config option allowing play with the "classic controller" peripheral?

No, but most emulators for the Wii have Wiimote/nunchuck/Gamecube pad/classic controller support built-in.

LostInBed
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2009, 1:54 pm

I wonder if any of yuo out there know/remember the name of a computer game that was on a soft(5.25" I think) floppy disk and involved working through like dungeons of a castle and slowly piecing together a map, getting keys adn correspondence with a mage, or wizard or some kind of(male) magical individual. I ealize this is way off my original topic.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2009, 1:48 pm

Doesn't sound like any game I've ever played, sorry.