Can you "feel" an emotional connection w/ someone?

Page 6 of 6 [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

EXPECIALLY
Veteran
Veteran

29 Feb 2012, 7:42 am

Verdandi wrote:
MathGirl wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Verdandi wrote:
I once couldn't stop thinking about particular people, but I was more obsessed with the idea of them than the reality.
I do that a lot. I get preoccupied with the idea and am disappointed by the reality. It reminds me of Pygmalion falling in love with his statues.
Me too. Most of my interest with people is scholarly. Once I have asked people specific questions, I can run out of things to talk to people about. At that point, it becomes difficult to keep a connection with them. Unfortunately, people end up being attached to me and seeking me out, at which point I don't want to dump people because that would hurt them. My goal is to help people, not to hurt them, so I still end up keeping fleeting contact with them. Keeping them then becomes very time- and energy-consuming, but I have no other choice.

Yeah, for me the idea of relationships was a thing, but the reality of relationships was that I felt crowded all the time, and have difficulties with others' expectations. And ultimately, I didn't really want that kind of relationship, it was just one of the things that was expected.

For some reason I spent a lot of time trying to do what was expected.

Saaaaame.

Exactly like that, I guess I can read the "essence" of someone really well, I had a friend who used to tell me he felt like I was reading his mind and other people have said they felt really connected to me.

But in reality, I feel crowded just hanging out with them "whenever" and being expected to be there for the less exciting things. I will go out of my way to help those I really carers about when they really need it but being around them constantly is still such a different experience than just keeping a "portrait" of the person in my mind.

HDTV...

Whatever.

Musicwolf
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

04 May 2013, 5:51 pm

Hi, I'm new to the site. I went searching for a reply to this kind of situation and found this thread. I was diagnosed with SPD at the age of 3 and later it's been pretty well agreed on by all that I'm an Aspie. I never really had a deep emotional connection to someone until recently. I mean, there's my parents, but it isn't quite the same. I'm talking about tuning in and feeling what another person is feeling. The person I did this with is also an undiagnosed Aspie. Their feelings hit me kind of like a lead brick and I didn't know what to do. They got really upset and suddenly I found myself feeling the same thing. I've known the person for a couple of years now and there's an odd understanding there that I don't have with any of the NT people I know. It's kinda like a rapport, like what what Swbluto shared. It wasn't the first time, but it was the first time it was that intense. It lasted for several hours after the fact too. Anyone else had this? :huh:

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2013, 7:46 pm

I notice that feeling a sense of connection with someone also on the spectrum is pretty prevalent. My guess is that it's from having similar wiring. When this has happened, it's not that I can tell what their thinking(not psychic here :wink: ) but I'd guess I probably have an easier time understanding their reactions. The rest of people out there just seem more "blank" because there no intuitive understanding there, and that seems to apply vice versa as well.

Browncoat
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 May 2013, 9:16 pm

EXPECIALLY wrote:
Exactly like that, I guess I can read the "essence" of someone really well, I had a friend who used to tell me he felt like I was reading his mind and other people have said they felt really connected to me.

I've had that sort of thing happen to me a lot. I could meet a complete stranger and in just a minute or two, I could tell if they were trustworthy, get a general sense of their personality, and know how close we would get (enemy, friends, indifferent, etc). And however I'm doing it, it's not a conscious thing.
Other times, I won't know the exact details of what someone is thinking, but I'll have a general idea without them needing to say a thing.
The interesting thing is that trying to focus this ability feels more like a "let it come to you" sort of thing.

thegreataturn
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

04 May 2013, 9:42 pm

[quote="MjrMajorMajor"]I notice that feeling a sense of connection with someone also on the spectrum is pretty prevalent. /quote]

Well I'm sure that My wife is on the spectrum, The only reason I discovered the possibility that I am on the spectrum is because I was convinced she was . I helped her to do the tests on-line and though I would do them to make her less uncomfortable. The strange thing was
I always seemed to come out as being more likely autistic than her, it's strange sometimes how you can find things out