Can you "feel" an emotional connection w/ someone?

Page 1 of 6 [ 85 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In the Andes, counting the stars and wondering if one of them is home to another civilization

28 Apr 2011, 8:06 pm

This is something I've noticed in my life and I was wondering if this is a common observation for aspies. There are people who are "empathic", and there's something about their voice, their facial expressions or their responses that indicate they "completely understand" you and there's a certain invisible emotional connection that you can "feel" -- I don't really know how to describe it, you just kind of "know it". Some people have this 'empathic gift', and many people don't and it's certainly a gift that I'd feel extremely lucky to have but I don't really think I "have what it takes".

Has anyone else noticed this? There's a group of people in this world who are naturally empathic and you can "feel the connection"?

bumble
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2011, 8:10 pm

I have trouble feeling that connection, the only exception was with my son. With most people I can feel what I feel about or for them but cannot feel what they think or feel about or for me. It makes for a lonely life sometimes but I am getting used to it.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2011, 8:28 pm

I'm able to feel emotioal connections with other people. I'm able to tell how they feel and what to say to comfort them.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2011, 8:34 pm

There is no 'connection' to 'feel'. If you experience any feelings of 'connectedness', it is likely that you merely recognize in the other person similar traits that are evident in other people that you like.

The feelings are the result of endorphins and hormones flooding your brain as you begin to associate with the person you feel 'connected' to. Then you likely conceptualize these pleasant feelings into the belief that the person feels the same way about you, and then begin to fantasize how the two of you will consummate these feelings, beliefs, and concepts.

This is called "Falling in Love" or "Having a Crush".

It's all brain chemistry and self-induced delusion.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

guywithAS
Toucan
Toucan

28 Apr 2011, 8:47 pm

Fnord wrote:
There is no 'connection' to 'feel'. If you experience any feelings of 'connectedness', it is likely that you merely recognize in the other person similar traits that are evident in other people that you like.

The feelings are the result of endorphins and hormones flooding your brain as you begin to associate with the person you feel 'connected' to. Then you likely conceptualize these pleasant feelings into the belief that the person feels the same way about you, and then begin to fantasize how the two of you will consummate these feelings, beliefs, and concepts.

that might be the case for you, but i'm not so sure its accurate for me. i think i have a level of feeling.. but it just cuts off way before the normal.

eg think of the reverse; i can easily feel when someone doesn't like me.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

28 Apr 2011, 8:49 pm

I am not sure what an emotional connection is. I know sometimes I am happy about talking to someone about things we have in common, but I do not think or assume that this means there is some kind of connection, or that I feel anything I would call a connection.

Perhaps if someone could define it a bit more clearly?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2011, 8:54 pm

guywithAS wrote:
Fnord wrote:

that might be the case for you, but i'm not so sure its accurate for me. i think i have a level of feeling.. but it just cuts off way before the normal.

It's the case for everybody.

So you think that your emotional response is less than 'normal'? Welcome to Asperger's Syndrome!
guywithAS wrote:
eg think of the reverse; i can easily feel when someone doesn't like me.

Correction: You THINK that you can easily feel when someone doesn't like you. This is also common among Aspies.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Dinosaw
Toucan
Toucan

28 Apr 2011, 9:04 pm

Fnord wrote:

Robert Anton Wilson would be disappointed in you Fnord.

Of course we 'feel' each other. The brain and body are EMF transmitter-receivers and we only need to train our bodies to be able to pick up other 'radio' stations. Is there a chance that mirror neuron activity is engaging as one observes or is informed of the mind state of another? Empathic cues read consciously or subliminally providing a framework for constructing a mimicked emotional / hormonal status? Certainly possible but it doesn't mean the sensation has to stop there.

kepheru
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

28 Apr 2011, 9:05 pm

swbluto wrote:
This is something I've noticed in my life and I was wondering if this is a common observation for aspies. There are people who are "empathic", and there's something about their voice, their facial expressions or their responses that indicate they "completely understand" you and there's a certain invisible emotional connection that you can "feel" -- I don't really know how to describe it, you just kind of "know it". Some people have this 'empathic gift', and many people don't and it's certainly a gift that I'd feel extremely lucky to have but I don't really think I "have what it takes".

Has anyone else noticed this? There's a group of people in this world who are naturally empathic and you can "feel the connection"?

I think I have.

I'm not that great with forming emotional connections, but I have noticed that there are some people who just seem to have a...comforting feeling emanating from them. My neighbor is like this. She was a social worker and was very good at soothing others.

It's not necessarily that she has a super extroverted "gets to know everyone really well" type of personality, or that she needs to be needed, but rather that, for whatever reason, she seems to want to truly help others for no reason other than to help them.

syrella
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2011, 9:05 pm

I often feel a sense of detachment from those around me. I can form bonds of friendship, but there is always distance in my relationships. To me it seems that there is a certain bridge that I just cannot cross, no matter how close I get to someone.

Some days it makes me sad. Other days I'm content to just being in my own little world.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2011, 9:06 pm

I feel detachment, too.

Kon
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2011, 9:09 pm

I hate that feeling where I'm too close emotiomally, to somebody. It make me feel "violated" as if my space is being intruded. I think it's the same reason why I hate looking at people I don't know directly into their eyes, why I hate being hugged or even holding or shaking hands.

Last edited by Kon on 28 Apr 2011, 9:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.

sedjat
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

28 Apr 2011, 9:10 pm

I feel attachment to people I know and feel safe around. Based on experience these people are reliable and the behaviour is somewhat predictable.

As for empathy, I think there are some people who are sensitive to small changes in the environment and people around them. They are then able to appropriately react to these observations, which gives the impression that someone "completely understands." I think that for us, it takes much more time to learn how to react to these changes appropriately, and sometimes we never learn how or can't adapt what we've learned to new variations in the situation.

swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In the Andes, counting the stars and wondering if one of them is home to another civilization

28 Apr 2011, 9:17 pm

Fnord wrote:

Lol. While I don't disagree with the process you call "Falling in Love" or "Having a crush", that's not exactly what I'm describing, as it can happen with anyone, male or female. Females just seem to be more empathic on average so they're more likely to have that distinct empathic 'aura' about them (Which is undoubtedly mirrored behavior/thinking aided by excellent mirror neuron circuitry). I agree, though, similarity undoubtedly aids the process as a more similar psychology means they're more likely to "get you" and "understand you". But, there are the rare gifted few that seem to "get" just about everyone, friends and foes alike.

Last edited by swbluto on 29 Apr 2011, 1:58 am, edited 3 times in total.

SuperTrouper
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2011, 9:21 pm

I was not aware that people were meant to feel anything like this... I'm kind of confused. That said, no, I do not feel anything toward other people. I don't cry when they're sad, and I don't rejoice when they're happy. I am what I am, totally independent of what they are.

Peko
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2011, 9:25 pm

Yes, I've had this on occasion with specific individuals.