Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Gottlos
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

08 Jan 2008, 3:27 pm

I have Asperger's Syndrome, and ever since I was seven I've had to help raise my Low Functioning Autistic Brother. He is a year younger than myself but he has the mentality of a three year old and I'm unsure of how long he'll be like that.

He's not like other autistic people though. He's not quiet and in fact he talks non-stop about his obsessions. He is not shy at all either.

He was shy and quiet when he was younger but... I'm just curious does anyone else have a similar experience?

Wilco
Toucan
Toucan

08 Jan 2008, 3:44 pm

Gottlos wrote:

He's not like other autistic people though. He's not quiet and in fact he talks non-stop about his obsessions.

That's really Aspie

tmad40blue
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Jan 2008, 3:56 pm

Welcome to WrongPlanet!

Gottlos wrote:
He's not quiet and in fact he talks non-stop about his obsessions. He is not shy at all either.

Good! Most LFA people are very reluctant to talk. What's he interested in? Unfortunately, I'm an only child, so I don't have any experience like yours. :?

Brittany2907
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's

08 Jan 2008, 4:15 pm

Gottlos wrote:
I have Asperger's Syndrome, and ever since I was seven I've had to help raise my Low Functioning Autistic Brother. He is a year younger than myself but he has the mentality of a three year old and I'm unsure of how long he'll be like that.

He's not like other autistic people though. He's not quiet and in fact he talks non-stop about his obsessions. He is not shy at all either.

He was shy and quiet when he was younger but... I'm just curious does anyone else have a similar experience?

I used to have a step sister and she has PDD-NOS. I have AS.

She was delayed in speech, had a lot of sensory sensitivities with clothing and food, didn't like change etc. Quite a lot of the ASD symptoms.
Like your brother...she used to be quiet. When I first met her at age 4, she was very reserved and didn't like to interact much with anyone. When she was around age 6 she started becoming more outgoing and by her 8th birthday had become an extrovert. She also used to talk non-stop about her obsessions [especially her two year long one with Pokemon].

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2008, 4:33 pm

Gottlos wrote:

Gottlos,
sounds like it must be very genetic in family [considering self and brother have it?] have ever looked into family history of it?
Am lf/mf autistic,but both sister,dad,dad's brother,dads' brothers' son are on the spectrum and mum has long said she thinks her sister/sisters' son are both on the spectrum-out of all,only mums' sister is verbally hyper.

Quote:
Good! Most LFA people are very reluctant to talk. What's he interested in? Unfortunately, I'm an only child, so I don't have any experience like yours. Confused

Am disagree.
With many LFAers,it's not that there is no want for talk,but having a lack of communication to do it successfully.
Of all the full LFA auties am know,not one has not wanted to communicate,some do it entirely in echolilia,and others do it in their own version of makaton.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2008, 5:17 pm

I had a strange situation where my brother and I, in the estimation of the rest of the world (which is not how I'd measured it), bypassed each other.

My older brother was the stereotype of the loud difficult infant and the toddler obsessed with playing in the toilet and stuff. (But he had "normal" speech development.)

I was quiet and passive and comparably easier to handle. (But I had "abnormal" speech development.)

As we got older (especially from adolescence to adulthood), he got closer and closer to what was considered typical for his age.

At the exact same time in my life (we're 14 years apart, so I only know his childhood from stories), I was getting further and further from what was considered typical for my age.

So to look at us as toddlers somehow traveled through time and plonked next to each other, people just glancing at us would have said he was "LFA" and I was "HFA". And now as adults people just glancing at us would say he is "HFA" and I am "LFA".

Don't agree with the categories or anything, just how it is. He was sort of like a third parent to me, combination of brother and parent, because of the enormous age difference. He was an adult by the time I was 4 years old. And he taught me all about non-autistic people. I mean, he didn't mean to, we were not diagnosed at the time (at least not with autism). But he explained things to me from a point of view I'd have had a hard time getting elsewhere.

We still talk sometimes but not a lot. We live on opposite sides of the USA.

angelgirl1224
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2008, 5:23 pm

No i dont have this simular experience.
i have an older half brother (30) and a younger sister (12), and there both 'nts'
I think my grandpa might have As but im not suuuure.
My friends younger brother is low funcuting though and hes 7 years old now and hes verry quiet. So Yeah.
xx