Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2008, 8:32 pm

I read about the hormone Oxytocin, and how it makes other people feel comfortable around you. I also found a website that sells cologne laced with that hormone; it works when people around you smell the cologne (Oxytocin itself is odorless). Since I've creeped out more people that I care to count, I bought a small bottle, figuring that I wasn't going to lose too much money. It arrived in less than a week, and the packaging looked quite presentable.

I sprayed it on without telling anybody, and went to a club with my friends. I failed miserably with girls, although for some reason, I wasn't as pissed off by rejection as usually. A few days later, my friends were going to this indie rock performance, and they invited me along. So I decided to try the cologne again, right before I walked out the door. Except this time, I sprayed the cologne a few times into the lid, held the lid to my nose, and inhaled sharply. As I rode in the car, I felt an ethereal sense of calmness and exhilaration come over me. I wasn't looking at the lampposts, I wasn't stressing out over the possibility of being stuck in traffic, I wasn't thinking about work. I just sat there, calmly looking out the window. "Wow, so this is how NTs feel on a daily basis!", I thought to myself. My friends commented on how they've never seen me like this before. I came clean, and showed them the cologne bottle I had in my pocket. When they first saw it, they laughed, and joked if I inhaled anything else.

But then they each tried what I did earlier, and when I told everyone: "hey, one spray a person; I paid a lot of money for this", I guess my tone of voice was so "good", that they actually complied without question. Our car was heading westbound, so there was a gorgeous sunset in front of us. We all ended up talking about it for nearly 10 minutes, and I felt so comfortable, it was almost ethereal. From what I remember, I felt that way only two or three times in my whole life, and I'm 24 years old. Whether it was the power of Oxytocin or simply the power of suggestion, it was one of the best nights of my life.

hyperbolic
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2008, 8:55 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxytocin

(Don't know much about it; just supplying a link.)

Soso-Lynn
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

17 Mar 2008, 9:00 pm

I dont know if it was really the oxytocin from the cologne, but I breastfeed and can testify to the extremely calming effect of oxytocin. After I nurse, I am completely relaxed and anxiety, stress and other uncontrolled emotions tend to go away for a little while.

I would double check the credentials of your cologne though, just to make sure there is nothing unsafe in there.

asperity
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

17 Mar 2008, 9:08 pm

That is fascinating. If it isn't harmful, I wouldn't mind taking sniffs of it to see if it calms me down. I currently smoke to deal with stress and would like to find the strength to quit, because it smells bad and I don't want lung cancer. I think I will do some research on it. Anything calming might help when I pick a quit day.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2008, 9:14 pm

Interesting. Very interesting. Maybe you've discovered a new legal drug? Hehehe.

Fayed
Toucan
Toucan

17 Mar 2008, 9:39 pm

Looks like it has effects on autism, and a bit of research has been done on the effects.

"Plasma oxytocin levels in autistic children.": http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9513736
"Oxytocin infusion reduces repetitive behaviors in adults with autistic and Asperger's disorders" : http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12496956
"Oxytocin increases retention of social cognition in autism": http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16904652

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2008, 12:23 am

Soso-Lynn wrote:
I would double check the credentials of your cologne though, just to make sure there is nothing unsafe in there.

The label says that the ingredients are distilled water, ethyl alcohol, synthetic oxytocin (the natural one disintegrates very quickly), and stabilizers. The exact ratios are a trade secret, but if the cologne had an effect on me (albeit not on the girls in the club), I guess there's no reason to worry about why the company wouldn't disclose the ratios. After all, it felt incredibly good, and I didn't feel sick the next day. So I feel safe using it, and plan to purchase more once the bottle runs out.

So what do you think of this experience? Was it really the power of oxytocin that made that wonderful night happen? Or was it just the power of suggestion?