Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

What religion do you most identify with?
Christianity 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
Judaism 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Islam 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
Buddhism 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Taoism 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Shintoism 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
Atheism 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Hinduism 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 3

DesertWoman
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

25 Sep 2020, 7:06 pm

I have found similarities in my struggles to the African American struggle for civil rights. I come from a northeastern city where I grew up with kids of all racial backgrounds. We were taught to respect one another and we were educated as equals.

I moved out west to Nevada and found radically different racial demographics and attitudes. I only met one black man during my first month here, eighteen years ago, and that was at a car dealership.

When I worked in the public schools in Nevada, I was alerted to racism and it really bothered me. Black teachers complained to me about being treated unfairly. Where I come from, the black people I knew were sharp and determined. I felt like I was in a time warp.

Then, when I got hired by a public charter school in Nevada, I started liking famous rap stars, (among other people on Twitter, not of color), and my coworkers found out. I think they were afraid violence would follow me or something, because I saw a shift in how they treated me afterwards.

African Americans have a wonderful, vibrant history. I think black people are people like everyone else. Some are nicer than others, just like white people. It's not 1925 anymore. Black people are now savvy businesspeople and politicians. They're models and professionals. They go to college. I can't say the same for the ASD community. And I can only imagine how hard it must be sometimes for people of mixed race.

What people need to realize is that the problem has and always will be rooted in ignorance and morals. Racists of all skin colors are ignorant, and they prevent the less fortunate from reaching their potential.

While the black struggle has and will always matter, I'm still a white Jew with ASD. I deserve to have my own identity.

MrsPeel
Veteran
Veteran

Yesterday, 7:07 pm

I'm a little confused what you're asking us. Is your question about race relations or religion?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

Yesterday, 10:18 pm

I think the OP is trying to equate the struggles of those on the spectrum with people of colour (POC)

I've always maintained that a neurodiverse community needs to be inclusive of everyone. Otherwise we are playing the "oppression olympics" or we drift into the orbit of NTs in terms of treating others less fortunate the same way NTs do.