WHAT CAN AN NT DO TO MAKE A FRIENDSHIP WORK WITH YOU

Page 4 of 8 [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2015, 3:13 pm

I'm one Aspie female who does like to both say and hear "I love you" with regularity when I'm in a relationship! :P

I know a lot of people think that's ridiculous (even NTs) but I love to say it whenever I just feel like it, and I love to be in a relationship with someone who feels the same way. It's not about needing some kind of reassurance, I'm just soppy and romantic when I'm in love and feeling happy with the person. :) To me it's a joyful thing to utter when I'm seized with the feeling.

The key is to find someone who's on the same page, because if they hate that it's not going to be pretty, lol. That goes for NT relationships too. The issue of how often someone says "I love you" is a bit like "Do you sleep hugging each other or separate sides of the bed?" You gotta work that stuff out or one person will feel upset.

See, not everything is set in stone -- I think Aspies can be almost as varied and individual about many aspects of life as NTs can. You also find NTs who are like "WTF do I need to say I love you more than once?"

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2015, 5:34 pm

Dianthus: We have to make it work! :wink:

Seriously: I think you're an intelligent person. I don't know why you take issue with me. I'm actually a person who tends to give in within arguments--I'm not the Clint Eastwood type.

LyraLuthTinu
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2015, 6:47 pm

nurseangela wrote:
After asking certain questions, I've come to some conclusions so far that may or may not be true (anyone who thinks different, please say something):

1) Communication is the biggest problem.
2) Constant learning is needed from both sides.
3) This was interesting, but I think the whatever an Aspie thinks an NT would want, what the NT really wants is the EXACT OPPOSITE of what the Aspie would want and vice versa. A few examples:
a) Aspies thrive with alone time. Most NT's need socializing.
b) Aspies only need to say they love you once in the relationship and not more than that because they believe it
should just be understood unless something is said that the relationship is having a problem. With NT's, if they
stop saying "I love you", it usually means there is something wrong with the relationship.
c) The Aspies I know who are upset about something prefer to have time alone to get through it, while NT's
(mostly NT females) want to be comforted and have someone around to help them get through the problem.

. . .

Not a bad list-- I would say
1) Absolutely, especially nvbl communication. One of NT hubby's biggest struggles with me is overexaggerated bodily reactions to things that startle or confuse me--like I will give him a wide berth if we are passing eachother in the hall or moving our arms about doing tasks, and to him it seems like I think if we accidentally make contact it's the end of the world as we know it. It's not that, it's that if I'm pretty apraxic and if I accidentally bump someone or something I feel very clumsy and stupid and it often hurts/bruises more than would make sense for the amount of force involved. I do bruise easily, I blame the asthma meds (corticosteroids suck).
2) yes, don't assume you know all there is to know about me. I know I don't know everything about you, in fact maybe less than you think because I'm not intuiting as much as you would, and generalizations are sometimes harder to grasp. Sometimes things that would seem obvious from past experience, I miss, because while there was a specific example, and you'd think I could extrapolate that example over many future similar situations, as an Aspie I might not actually see it as the same sort of thing because I'm focused on the details and the details are different enough that it doesn't seem like a similar situation after all. the blog musingsofanaspie speaks to this point, though I don't presently remember which entry. It is another good blog though.
3) This is not always but quite often true.
a) This might be an introvert/extrovert thing as much as an NT/ASD thing, but generally Aspies are far more likely to be introverted than extroverted so it's probably generally true. I have known a couple of extraverts on the spectrum, though.
b) maybe true for casual or short term relationships? I don't know. Sometimes I feel like NT hubby says it more than I need to hear it, and he wants to hear it a lot more often than I feel a need to say it. Sometimes I say "I love you" because I feel slightly irritated and I'm afraid he's picking up on that so I want to reassure him and remind him that I love him even when he annoys me. So maybe I'm NT that way, if I stop saying I love you to NT hubby there really is something wrong and I'm not feeling it, I'm hurting inside and not feeling loving or loved. Then when he says it, I struggle to suppress the feeling/response of "yeah right, you sure aren't showing it at the mo'!" I don't say it out loud but I think he reads it sometimes. It feels like hypocrisy when he says "I love you" and all the other signs say "you piss me off, I'm running out of patience, you drive me crazy and you have ruined my life with your crazy Aspie $h!t." Especially when he actually calls me crazy and calls my thoughts and ideas stupid $h!t, which he does when he loses his temper. :(
c) I think this is partly true, of most Aspies especially males, but for me I would like to have a listening ear to vent to a lot of the time. It's like the video "It's not about the Nail" that went viral over a year ago. I resonate with the lady in that flick, and NT hubby just thinks it's/she's stupid. When I have a problem, I would rather be left alone to work it out than be told it's stupid, or it's obvious what the answer is, or it's not a real problem, or worst of all be told what I should have done after the fact when it's too late to correct it. But I would also rather have someone listen and sympathize and say things like "that sounds rough" or "that sucks" or "I hate it when that happens" or "it's a shame/unfair that you had to go through that" than suffer in silence. Because when I suffer in silence, I often am replaying it over and over and over in my head without coming to any solution or resolving the problem, I'm just making it worse and worse in my own mind until it's blown all out of proportion into an obstacle that I can't get past and move away from. Like what Writergirl53 said about her friends' ambiguous reactions: I stress and worry about whatever I've done and whether it's an un-correctable error of some kind. I think that's what is meant by the Aspie tendency to perseverate. But hearing someone say how stupid I am to be concerned over such a thing when the solution is **so obvious** is much, much worse. To me that is the classic Fixer/Venter problem, which is often a male/female thing since more males tend to be Fixers and more females tend to be Venters. I don't feel comfortable with a whole group of females all venting at the same time, though. That just feels like an unpleasant gossipy hen session, especially if the venting is about a particular person or class of people. One-on-one sympathy sessions are one thing, group 61tch sessions are entirely another. Maybe most NT females see this as hashing out their problems and they feel better afterwards, but it just drags me down.

Official diagnosis: Austism Spectrum Disorder Level One, without learning disability, without speech/language delay; Requiring Support

nerdygirl
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2015, 6:15 am

Writergirl53 wrote:
I would love it if my NT friends would be a bit more blunt about what they are thinking or feeling about me in a situation, both positive and negative. When they react in a way that is ambiguous to me, I'll spend an extended period of time worrying and stressing about whether or not I've done something to ruin the friendship. If I know somebody will tell me, (gently) when I have done something that they didn't like, I'll feel like I can relax a lot more in the relationship, of course that definitely goes for the positives, too. A lot of us are very used to being rejected by friends, so in the early formation of a friendship, and just every once in a while, it is important to do things that affirm that you are still close, like referring to them as a friend when introducing them, or sharing a confidence with just them, and letting them know that. It is much easier for us to be friends with NTs when we are completely secure that we're going to stay friends with said NT.

Also, and this definitely depends on the Aspie, but for me, a lot of the time when I am very quiet, (especially in group settings,) I think NTs assume that I don't want to talk, am being shy, or don't have anything to say. This is never the case for me. Oftentimes, especially in group settings, I have a very hard time joining the conversation, and my favourite people at parties are the ones who direct a few questions right at me to keep me involved in the conversation, but in a way that doesn't feel forced, or that feels like they're talking to me like I'm a child. What I mean by that is that sometimes when people do this, they make the mistake of either talking down to me with their tone, (yes, I can usually tell,) or focusing the conversation on just me, or changing the topic for me, which makes me sort of feel like they know I couldn't jump in on my own, so they've derailed the conversation to something nobody else cares about in an attempt to appease me. I know it's weird, but I don't like that. It's best to find a way to incorporate the Aspie into the current conversation, they may not tell you, but if they're anything like me, they'll think you're a life-saver.

This. Especially about being "blunt."

I'd rather hear something negative about myself and learn how to do better than to be ignored and left to my own odd devices, always wondering what I did wrong.

A lifetime of rejection makes me very anxious about forming new friendships. LOTS of feedback is very helpful.

I also have my own idea...

A few people I know who either have or I think they have Aspergers is that giving them multiple choices for responses helps. Sometimes, they seem a little stymied when I want them to respond, and I give them choices. That seems to "unblock" their flow of thinking, or something. I do not know if I would like this or not because no one has ever tried it with me.

Jensen
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2015, 8:18 am

Be simple and direct. Don´t expect an aspie to know, that you want him to leave, when you offer him an extra cup of coffee.
I just had that dispute with somebody, so I better explain and disclose.

Hyperborean
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2015, 8:23 am

nerdygirl wrote:
Writergirl53 wrote:
I would love it if my NT friends would be a bit more blunt about what they are thinking or feeling about me in a situation, both positive and negative. When they react in a way that is ambiguous to me, I'll spend an extended period of time worrying and stressing about whether or not I've done something to ruin the friendship. If I know somebody will tell me, (gently) when I have done something that they didn't like, I'll feel like I can relax a lot more in the relationship, of course that definitely goes for the positives, too. A lot of us are very used to being rejected by friends, so in the early formation of a friendship, and just every once in a while, it is important to do things that affirm that you are still close, like referring to them as a friend when introducing them, or sharing a confidence with just them, and letting them know that. It is much easier for us to be friends with NTs when we are completely secure that we're going to stay friends with said NT.

Also, and this definitely depends on the Aspie, but for me, a lot of the time when I am very quiet, (especially in group settings,) I think NTs assume that I don't want to talk, am being shy, or don't have anything to say. This is never the case for me. Oftentimes, especially in group settings, I have a very hard time joining the conversation, and my favourite people at parties are the ones who direct a few questions right at me to keep me involved in the conversation, but in a way that doesn't feel forced, or that feels like they're talking to me like I'm a child. What I mean by that is that sometimes when people do this, they make the mistake of either talking down to me with their tone, (yes, I can usually tell,) or focusing the conversation on just me, or changing the topic for me, which makes me sort of feel like they know I couldn't jump in on my own, so they've derailed the conversation to something nobody else cares about in an attempt to appease me. I know it's weird, but I don't like that. It's best to find a way to incorporate the Aspie into the current conversation, they may not tell you, but if they're anything like me, they'll think you're a life-saver.

I'd rather hear something negative about myself and learn how to do better than to be ignored and left to my own odd devices, always wondering what I did wrong.

A lifetime of rejection makes me very anxious about forming new friendships. LOTS of feedback is very helpful.

A few people I know who either have or I think they have Aspergers is that giving them multiple choices for responses helps. Sometimes, they seem a little stymied when I want them to respond, and I give them choices. That seems to "unblock" their flow of thinking, or something. I do not know if I would like this or not because no one has ever tried it with me.

Interesting. But feedback about things you have done that are 'wrong' doesn't have to be negative. If someone is going to correct you they should also offer some helpful, positive advice or insights - which requires an understanding of how Aspergians think and process ideas.

I've noticed that giving multiple choices can be effective ... although some of my friends hate having to make decisions, so offering them a choice only makes matters worse! So again, it's a question of knowing how an individual thinks.

nerdygirl
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2015, 9:42 am

Hyperborean wrote:
nerdygirl wrote:
Writergirl53 wrote:

Interesting. But feedback about things you have done that are 'wrong' doesn't have to be negative. If someone is going to correct you they should also offer some helpful, positive advice or insights - which requires an understanding of how Aspergians think and process ideas.

I've noticed that giving multiple choices can be effective ... although some of my friends hate having to make decisions, so offering them a choice only makes matters worse! So again, it's a question of knowing how an individual thinks.

All very true!

I'm not saying I wouldn't like people to say positive things. I would just rather hear negative things than to have someone just leave my life without knowing the reason.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2015, 9:47 am

Whether it's positive, negative, neutral, or whatever, it's always nice to hear the "truth."

Feyokien
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2015, 11:47 pm

Treat me like any other real friend and just not mind my extended silence at times.

Lukecash12
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2015, 4:41 pm

nurseangela wrote:
My Aspie friend said his facial expressions never correspond with how he is feeling, which makes me smile because there is no way I would know what he is thinking since I rely on body language so much. He says he can look mad, but be totally happy. How am I to know when he is actually mad? Will he just have the facial expression or actually say something like "I'm mad"?

I can see where communication problems happen all the time between Aspies and NT's. That's why I'm a big believer in telling the important people in your life that you have AS and they also need to be familiar with the traits.

He may not be able to tell whether or not he is mad in the first place, and this is probably part of the reason that his facial expressions are hard to interpret.

Lukecash12
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2015, 4:44 pm

nurseangela wrote:
I'm here to make new friends while having fun, but I also believe that getting along with my current Aspie friends (and future Aspie friends) takes constant learning. I'm finding out new things everyday. But like you said, everyone is unique and the more replies I get from different Aspies, I'm better able to understand certain things better. I have read several Aspie books and was on another Aspie site for 1.5 yrs thinking that certain things about Aspies were set in stone, but have found out otherwise after opening threads and asking specific questions regarding NT's and Aspie's.

After asking certain questions, I've come to some conclusions so far that may or may not be true (anyone who thinks different, please say something):

3) This was interesting, but I think the whatever an Aspie thinks an NT would want, what the NT really wants is the EXACT OPPOSITE of what the Aspie would want and vice versa. A few examples:
b) Aspies only need to say they love you once in the relationship and not more than that because they believe it
should just be understood unless something is said that the relationship is having a problem. With NT's, if they
stop saying "I love you", it usually means there is something wrong with the relationship.
c) The Aspies I know who are upset about something prefer to have time alone to get through it, while NT's
(mostly NT females) want to be comforted and have someone around to help them get through the problem.

Those are just some of the examples off the top of my head. I have found that Aspie females are different than Aspie males and have some of the same traits as NT females, but not as strong - they are kind of in the middle. Aspie males act like NT males x10. The way I see the hierarchy of differences are the following: NT females - Aspie females - NT males - Aspie males, making NT females and Aspie males on the opposite ends of similarities and may explain why communication between NT females in a relationship with Aspie males may have communication problems. Aspie females and NT males are closer together which may explain why I have read that there are fewer problems in these relationships.

These are just some thoughts I have had.

It must be emphasized with the consideration of #2 here, that the relationship is reciprocal. As such, on our side of the relationship we must also strive to be conscientious and NT's should not be burdened with all of the responsibilities of maintaining the friendship.

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2015, 4:57 pm

Lukecash12 wrote:
nurseangela wrote:
I'm here to make new friends while having fun, but I also believe that getting along with my current Aspie friends (and future Aspie friends) takes constant learning. I'm finding out new things everyday. But like you said, everyone is unique and the more replies I get from different Aspies, I'm better able to understand certain things better. I have read several Aspie books and was on another Aspie site for 1.5 yrs thinking that certain things about Aspies were set in stone, but have found out otherwise after opening threads and asking specific questions regarding NT's and Aspie's.

Those are just some of the examples off the top of my head. I have found that Aspie females are different than Aspie males and have some of the same traits as NT females, but not as strong - they are kind of in the middle. Aspie males act like NT males x10. The way I see the hierarchy of differences are the following: NT females - Aspie females - NT males - Aspie males, making NT females and Aspie males on the opposite ends of similarities and may explain why communication between NT females in a relationship with Aspie males may have communication problems. Aspie females and NT males are closer together which may explain why I have read that there are fewer problems in these relationships.

It must be emphasized with the consideration of #2 here, that the relationship is reciprocal. As such, on our side of the relationship we must also strive to be conscientious and NT's should not be burdened with all of the responsibilities of maintaining the friendship.

Thank you, Mr. Lukecash, for understanding that.

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 83 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 153 of 200 You are very likely neurotypical
Darn, I flunked.

Lukecash12
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2015, 5:32 pm

nurseangela wrote:
Lukecash12 wrote:
nurseangela wrote:

And I thank you for your interesting and helpful observations. Furthermore, I wonder what you think about possible communication methods and modes of expression that can bridge these gaps? Are there ways to express affection, cope with problems, and communicate those problems that both parties can engage in? Ways that don't cater merely to one or the other at a particular moment? Or agreements that can be had in order that each can have their own requisite time? For example: when I had issues that I needed to mull over by myself I told my ex-wife both that I needed to wait to discuss it with her, and most importantly I promised that I would still eventually discuss it with her.

TheSpectrum
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2015, 5:37 pm

I don't think I should expect anything more off of any one person in order for them to be my friend.
As long as they share core principles about ethics and etiquette they can like, be, and within reason, do whatever makes that person, that person.

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2015, 6:23 pm

Lukecash12 wrote:
nurseangela wrote:
Lukecash12 wrote:
nurseangela wrote:

And I thank you for your interesting and helpful observations. Furthermore, I wonder what you think about possible communication methods and modes of expression that can bridge these gaps? Are there ways to express affection, cope with problems, and communicate those problems that both parties can engage in? Ways that don't cater merely to one or the other at a particular moment? Or agreements that can be had in order that each can have their own requisite time? For example: when I had issues that I needed to mull over by myself I told my ex-wife both that I needed to wait to discuss it with her, and most importantly I promised that I would still eventually discuss it with her.

Your explanation of what you need to do (mull over the problem) and that you promised to discuss it with her later would have been enough for me, but I know that from reading Aspie books and communicating with Aspies about how they think.

I think that relationships between Aspie men and NT women are always going to take a lot of work and understanding. Men in general don't show a lot of affection and NT women need affection shown and to have one on one time spent "small talking" and telling about what is happening in their life and their "feelings". I know that talking about "feelings" is uncomfortable with NT men - I had an NT male friend and this was always a joke between us - that my ultimate wish would be for him to talk with me all night about "feelings". :D I know that discussing "feelings" is probably totally foreign to Aspie men. However, on the other Aspie site I was on, I would stress how important it was and for the Aspie man to "really be in the moment and listening" because not having that emotional need taken care of feels very lonely - extremely lonely in fact, and depression and resentment will eventually happen. The Aspie books say to have that void filled by other NT women friends, but if an NT woman has a Hunny she wants to have a certain closeness with him too. It's hard explaining the feeling problem with Aspies.

NT women need hugs and smooches, holding hands and snuggling - all things that Aspies feel uncomfortable with. I don't know how to bridge that gap because the Aspie man will always be doing something that is uncomfortable for him. Another thing I had a problem with texting my Aspie friend was that he didn't feel the need to communicate as often as me. I was a daily communicator while he could go several weeks without saying anything. Of course, I changed my habits since I wanted to keep the friendship, but I cried a lot because my emotional need of communicating wasn't being met. It was a very lonely feeling and still is. One thing for me is if communication is lessened then I don't keep the "warm fuzzies" feelings for that person and they get demoted to "acquaintance" status. That's why I wanted to see a picture of my friend so I could put a face to his name otherwise he is just a stranger. He did send his voice and that was a more personal touch to keep me connected. Without that "connected" feeling, I find it hard to open up and share anything about me and stay loyal and a true friend. For NT women, friendships and relationships are all about feeling and not logic. There's nothing logical about love.

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 83 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 153 of 200 You are very likely neurotypical
Darn, I flunked.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2015, 6:31 pm

I'm a weird Aspie--in that I'm not very complex when it comes to relationships.

I don't even like talking about "being in a relationship" while I'm in a relationship. I just like to do things with that person.

When I talk about the "nature" of the relationship with somebody, I feel like I'm stuck in an Ingmar Bergmann movie.