Page 3 of 4 [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

kittenfluffies
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2007, 11:06 am

I love cosmetics! I'm an artist so the process of putting on make up is fun for me, it gets me motivated. It's like painting a blank canvas in the morning - I like to feel vibrant inside and out.

agent79
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Feb 2007, 5:29 pm

I love make-up...but I am highly sensitive to the textures and smells. So if I can FEEL the make-up...then I won't wear it.

The past few months I've been wearing BareMinerals make-up and, because it's powder foundation, it doesn't feel greasy or gross.

I can not, however, wear make-up everyday. If I'm having a bad sensory day, then I go bare faced with lighter lipstick.

Aspiegirl89
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Feb 2007, 11:10 pm

Mnemosyne wrote:
I rarely wear makeup for several reasons:

1) It's uncomfortable to wear. It's itchy and feels weird.

2) I feel dishonest when I wear it. I don't really look like that, so I feel like I'm lying to everyone who sees me.

3) There's also what I consider a "logical" aspect to not wearing it. If you wear it every day, then when you take it off at night, or on days when you don't wear it, people think you look tired or "bad." If you only wear it a few tims a year, people accept your natural state as looking "fine" and when you wear makeup, then they think you look "extra nice."

AMEN!!

Starbuline
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2007, 1:56 am

agent79 wrote:
I love make-up...but I am highly sensitive to the textures and smells. So if I can FEEL the make-up...then I won't wear it.

The past few months I've been wearing BareMinerals make-up and, because it's powder foundation, it doesn't feel greasy or gross.

I can not, however, wear make-up everyday. If I'm having a bad sensory day, then I go bare faced with lighter lipstick.

Does the BareMinerals stuff work well?

agent79
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Feb 2007, 2:11 am

It does have a light to medium amount of coverage for blotchy skin.

The only thing that I really don't like is that I feel opalescent.

I feel like I am "pearly." I'm sorry that probably doesn't make much sense.

It looks nice to me, and all of my friends and loved ones tell me how beautiful I look.

It does stay on for the whole day (which is nice)...but it wipes off pretty easily.

I don't get blemishes from wearing it---which is a first on the foundation front.

I also don't have an allergic reaction to it---another first.

Doesn't smell too much at all.

It just takes a little while to get used to applying it.

Melantha
Toucan
Toucan

10 Feb 2007, 3:17 am

Starbuline wrote:
agent79 wrote:

Does the BareMinerals stuff work well?

A better version of the same thing is Larenim makeup. It's a 100% natural mineral makeup that doesn't contain the talc and other pore-clogging skin irritants found in BareMinerals.

jackie31337
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

10 Feb 2007, 4:50 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
I never wear it. It's heavy and greasy, and I see it as face-paint, that's designed for NTs, by NTs. Of course this is coming from someone who has a very masculine obsession that everybody knows about, who has a Male Brain in a Female Body.

For a while, whenever I put on makeup or wore a dress, I felt like I was dressing in drag. :) That said, I love makeup (probably because I love theatre and costumes). I love to buy makeup and I own a fishing-tackle-box full of it, but I only wear it occasionally when I'm in the mood to. Most days, I would rather sleep for 10 more minutes than put on makeup.

RainSong
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2007, 2:40 pm

I wear foundation and (once in awhile) eyeliner or eyeshadow (never both). I don't mind a little bit of it, but I don't like a lot of it. Too much makeup only looks like a clown.

Three years!

coolstertothecore
Toucan
Toucan

11 Feb 2007, 1:03 pm

I also go by the view that if you wear make-up everyday, then when you don't, people will think you look ugly, whereas if you only wear it on special occasions (generally once a year for me!) people say "Oh you look nice!". Okay so on the one hand that makes you think, "So what, do I usually look awful?" but it's better than getting funny looks for not wearing it. Besides I'm far too lazy to put it all on and especially take it off.

I've never been at all interested in make-up and I could never wear very much because I'd feel so self-conscious that everyone around me would be thinking "Who does she think she is?" I also can't bear to stand in a toilet looking in the mirror-to the point where even if I know I've smudged something I'll just leave it.

So basically I guess what I'm saying is that it's more hassle than it's worth. The only reason for wearing it is to shut my family up.

mizkathy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Feb 2007, 7:58 pm

Mascara is a must for me :wink:

Graelwyn
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2007, 8:19 pm

I did not used to wear anything at all, but sometimes I get spots, so I started using a cover stick..and when I realised I was using it all over my face due to some sort of obsession with my skin not being clear, I got foundation instead, from the body shop. That is all I use though.

MishLuvsHer2Boys
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2007, 8:37 am

I am not a fan of makeup, have worn it but don't like it and try to avoid it.

ZanneMarie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2007, 9:11 am

I wear mascara almost always because my lashes are blonde. Sometimes I'll wear powder. Sometimes I'll wear eye makeup that is close to my skin color and a liner. Many times I'll wear lipstick, but I'm just as likely to wear chapstick. My lips are really full and I like they way they look with lipstick, besides, it's a natural sunblock and I'm a strawberry blonde complete with freckles. Even my lips will freckle in the sun. Makes me concerned about skin cancer.

Csmom
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

28 Feb 2007, 5:20 am

Makeup looks beautiful on my 14 year old daughter, who uses it to accentuate her good features. It really improves her appearance! This is coming fro someone who has basically been a little anti-makeup all her life. Some of the reasons I have never really liked makeup us is that I felt it hid my natural beauty, it was too expensive. too much of the "culture" available to women was limited to clothes and makeup, (rather boring for an AS woman, it felt"dishonest" to appear prettier than I actually was, having some chemical on my face flet unclean and finally, the darn stuff disppeared off my face in five minutes anyway. Now that I am older and mut appear to have some makeup on in formal situations (business interviews), I have to deal with the issue of allpying makeup that all too often just sits in the creases and shouts, "Hey-wrinkle over here!"

I wish I had a dollar for everytime someone (mother , "best "friend, sister, male acquaitance speaking very out of turn" tried to convince me that normal woman wore makeup and that my atisfaction with my appearance was "childish". Funny, none of the men in my life ever voiced a complaint!

It works for my daughter, though, whose lovely but small eyes are rendered noticable by eyeliner and whose excema afflicted teenage skin is transformed into a canvas for the beauty of her young features.

Nan
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2007, 11:33 pm

SpaceCase wrote:
What do you girls think of makeup?

I like makeup...I go for the natural look with dramatic eyes.

-SpaceCase

When I was younger I liked to accentuate my eyes with a lot of dark liner and mascara. And I'd use blusher to accent the cheekbones I used to have. It was a lot of fun to play with "looks".

Now that I'm older and wrinklier, and wear glasses all the time, it's kind of pointless. Foundation and/or powder just makes me look 10 years older than I am. Lipstick disappears on my vanished lips, and nobody can see eye makeup through the glasses.

Gotta wow 'em with my witty, outgoing personality now. :wink:

ebplibrarian
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

01 Mar 2007, 7:07 pm

I love make-up when it is used correctly and applied to the area it was intended for by the designer. For example, eye liner should not be used for lip liner. There usually is oil in the eye liner to create a "stay put" property.

I started wearing make-up at 14 at the request of my mother because she said it was the right thing to do. I was very good at it because I saw it as a way to express my artistic flair, however it made me an easy target for teasing. However, to make my mother happy I continued wearing make-up until I went to college. I resented her for making me feel like my worth depended on those products.

College rebellion included a no make-up routine. Summers at home included arguments as to how I was never going to get a boyfriend if I didn't use make-up. It was horrible.

Until I met my boyfriend and decided I'd try to wear a little again...naturally during day and dramatic for special occassions. After all, I had worked with some of the National Artists with Bobbi Brown and knew what I was doing. He loved it and being a fellow Aspie, told me that he loved me whether I wore it or not.

Now as a young woman in my thirties, I wear make-up when I feel like it and don't get myself in a knot when I don't wear it. Enjoy make-up and explore the opportunities, especially with the new mineral make-ups and newly formulated lip glosses. And don't forget the sunscreen!! !